+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bard Soul Discussion

I absolutely love how they made this class. Feels like a real old school bard, not some deepeess rogue with a couple buffs. I love that it will be next to useless to try and solo specifically as a bard, so it encourages you to group and take secondary souls. Awesome. If I ever play a rogue (which is almost always last on my list, not a big rogue fan) I will definitely have a lot of bard in there. I love the flexibility they are adding to the callings, allowing rogues to tank, heal and buff and actually be good at it.

Rift Disciple

Looks like a real honest utility class. Definitely will be bringing one of these guys to raids, but unsure of how useful they'll be in regular dungeons.

To anyone who has had a chance to really build this soul up:

Can we hold our own? Can we solo if we choose? Are we able to do any type of dps and see some real good numbers? I'd just like an opinion from someone who's played a bit

/cheers!

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil,
    for I am the baddest b**** in the valley"

Quote Originally Posted by Reynaven View Post
    To anyone who has had a chance to really build this soul up:

Can we hold our own? Can we solo if we choose? Are we able to do any type of dps and see some real good numbers? I'd just like an opinion from someone who's played a bit

/cheers!
    I haven't played it but I can tell you right now you wont be able to solo well at all as a pure bard, Russ Brown said so himself, and if you try to, you are missing the entire point of this game. If you are able to switch between 4 builds on the fly, with no penalty, why on earth would you even want to try soloing as a bard? There's no point to it.

You know some are complaining that some really neat sounding souls are not going to be available at character creation. But there is wisdom in it. People may want the bard available at character creation, but if it really is gimped in solo play, making it available later makes a whole lot of sense. It gives the player time to get familiar with the calling with a soul that can solo effectively and it gives the player time to make friends and have grouping experiences. So if they later decide that they do want to go full support, it will be amuch more informed decision.

Now, I know there are those out there that already have predefined groups of players ready to go with their roles at character creation. But, the early content starts off simple and ramps up over time. I can't imagine playing a full support class being necessary or fun at level 3, or 5 or under 10. (i think you can select a new soul @ level 8)

Quote Originally Posted by fangGWJ View Post
    You know some are complaining that some really neat sounding souls are not going to be available at character creation. But there is wisdom in it. People may want the bard available at character creation, but if it really is gimped in solo play, making it available later makes a whole lot of sense. It gives the player time to get familiar with the calling with a soul that can solo effectively and it gives the player time to make friends and have grouping experiences. So if they later decide that they do want to go full support, it will be amuch more informed decision.

Now, I know there are those out there that already have predefined groups of players ready to go with their roles at character creation. But, the early content starts off simple and ramps up over time. I can't imagine playing a full support class being necessary or fun at level 3, or 5 or under 10. (i think you can select a new soul @ level 8)
    That was said on the tentonhammer podcast. Souls like the Bard are not good for soloing and that's the whole reason they are making them available later on, when you have access to two or more souls. And there is no point to it really.

I think the number one reason people are complaining is for roleplaying purposes. Their character is going to be a Bard or what have you, so it wouldn't make sense if they didn't play one at all times. The one thing I have to say to it is this: in other MMOs, if you are a healer, do you wear your healing gear at all times? You ARE a priest, or whatever, yet when you are soloing and doing damage you most likely switch out to a new set of DPS gear. You start using damaging spells that a healer wouldn't normally use. You are using a different skill set to adapt to your situation. It's no different than in this game. If you are a bard, playing music at a monster isn't exactly going to stop him from eating your face, let alone do physical harm to him, so along the way you're going to have to learn different skills and get different equipment in order to defend yourself when the situation arises. See? Makes sense on an RP level, too. No more tears.

Lol, nice!

edit: ack I just typed a post count boosting blip. better think of something constructive to add...

Nope, got nothing!
    Last edited by fangGWJ; 09-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Great discussion guys, this is really getting me hyped with all the possibilities, my imagination is going wild.
    One item I really enjoyed in VG was the Mask of the Feral Warrior to top up health during battle,It was even funnier if you could get noticed on the healing parse lol. I think the clicky effect was Conduct it was a 1200 to1400hp self heal every 45 seconds.
    I'm really looking forward to a single target healing/dps Bard combo.
    This class system brings AA's to hole new light. Love it.
    Coda Rocklift Bard
    It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.

I think a little creativity goes a long way with rping. I'm surprised that people that call themselves rpers aren't rising to the challenge to find a connection to the lore rather than crying fowl that things aren't their way.

There are various levels of RP. You don't need to call on actual game lore to be RPing. Simply not bringing in anything that isn't in the game is, in a way, role playing. I don't typically call on lore myself, but I've actually had people recognize me as a player because of macro sayings and gesture style I use in characters.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

I guess I was just trying to say that people shouldn't rush to complain over immersion breaking, when a little brain jostling and not being so tied to medieval tropes will go a lot farther at making you not look like a whiner.

The thought that because something is fantasy it must follow dark ages conventions needs to be thrown out the window. Otherwise, we will keep getting the same orc, elves, dwarves and dragons mmos over and over again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3