+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kelari Purifier: modest preview from PAX

Default Kelari Purifier: modest preview from PAX

Recovering from PAX this last weekend and just wanted to give my brief impressions of playing with the Kelari Purifier as available at the Rift booth at PAX. Keep in mind that the convention version of the game so far is an alpha and many improvements are in the works for upcoming beta.

So I wanted to focus on a Cleric-Purifier as I really want to get back to my first year of mmorpg gaming for me playing healer types. I really like the Kelari so I went with that and was offered two choices, the Inquisitor and the Purifier. My guess is that there will be more than 2 choices for the Kelari Cleric later on.

On Friday I tried out the Inquisitor briefly but honestly not long enough to really judge it, on Sunday I went back and spend a long time on the Purifier and was really happy with the class. There was a short term shield spell that lasted long enough to complete a combat even with 2 targets at once, it pretty much protected me from most of the damage. I was able to take on as many as 3 targets at once with little problem.

I started at level 1 and ran it to level 8, started with the long range nuke and the damage shield, chain armor and a mace. The quest rewards nicely upgraded my armor as I went along and I ended up with a mace upgrade and a shield very soon, new boots, pants , gloves and eventually a new chest piece. I was pleasantly surprised to see a distinct difference in the new chest piece look. I love the look of the armor in this game. If you could feel with your eyes, I can say that cloth felt like cloth , leather like leather and chain and plate felt like metallic chain and plate pieces.

Through out the levels I added points in the soul tree that improved my damage [ my choice ] and even added extra armor to my character as a reactive to me casting a heal. I got a better nuke and a heal, then another heal and then a instant any time cure. I didn't actually try to kill anything that was several levels above me but for things at my own level or one above, it was very doable as long as one reads your spells before running off and notices whats around you. I did see dead players now and then so one could get into trouble. You do have to watch mana use, there is drink that seems to bring you back to max quickly but you can not do it in combat and it has you in sort of kneeling/sitting posture. Anyway in conclusion I can say that I could play a Purifier quite happily.

I had a few issues with spell casting animation of the first damage spell that involved waving the mace above the head. The second cast animation was a bit better with more of a lashing down movement.

I had so much fun playing this that it wasnt until my feet were absolutely killing me that I broke away.

Thank you for the preview! Its great of you to still give us your view of the gameplay since there is a lot of us who were unable to attend for various reasons so its great to see people sharing and caring! I hope you had a great time and I wish you a swift recovery from the crazy past couple days!

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Good to hear your impressions, thanks alot!

Thanks a bunch for your preview. I appreciate your insight.

Do you recall how the soul tree points were distributed? One every level, a few points at a time but only certain levels, etc. Also, about how long did it take you to go from 1-8?

Quote Originally Posted by Draz View Post
    Do you recall how the soul tree points were distributed? One every level, a few points at a time but only certain levels, etc. Also, about how long did it take you to go from 1-8?

I was one per level so far as I played it. So each time you level you can spend a point in the soul tree. That was really nice being able to make choices as early as level 2.

I honestly don't recall how long it took me to get to level 8. I was so fascinated by what was around me that I just didn't notice the time
    Last edited by nefermore; 09-06-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks for this review. I am sure you must of used the racial abilities, could you describe how your damage|heal "Changed" once you used it. Thanks!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Thanks for this review. I am sure you must of used the racial abilities, could you describe how your damage|heal "Changed" once you used it. Thanks!
    The cool down on the racial that wasn't passive for the Kelari was rather long. That being said I just never found my self in a situation serious enough to feel like I needed to use it even when I was soloing rifts and getting jumped by re-spawns. My guess is that a rogue type might use it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by nefermore View Post
    The cool down on the racial that wasn't passive for the Kelari was rather long. That being said I just never found my self in a situation serious enough to feel like I needed to use it even when I was soloing rifts and getting jumped by re-spawns. My guess is that a rogue type might use it more often.
    Cool, thanks for telling me this!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Plane Touched

Thanks for the info. I like to read about the purifier since it is what I am leaning towards (or one of what I am leaning towards). When you played, did you notice how you were killing mobs compared to how other classes were? Did you think you were slow to kill or about right for a cleric'esque class...?

Thanks for the information

+ Reply to Thread