+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dominator class

Default Dominator class

First off, I think this is one of the coolest names for a CC class I have heard. I don't have a ton of experience with the enchanter type classes, so I'm starting this thread to see what some veterans out there think in terms of what this class should and shouldn't be able to do. What are your thoughts?

Makes me think of a Mesmer from Guild Wars or a Psionicist from Vanguard. I could see them having any array of similar abilities such as making their target a thrall (a pet basically) for a short amount of time or creating illusions in their head to either make them oblivious to their surroundings or fear them.

These type of classes also seem to make use of DoT abilities for a good portion of their damage.

I think many will chose it on the class name alone.

I wonder how well the class will be able to CC. There are some CC classes out there that are practically impotent at end game which is irritating at best. All of the most challenging mobs can resist or are immune in some games - so annoying.

I plan to try the dominator class so I hope that is not the case in Rift.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I think many will chose it on the class name alone.

I wonder how well the class will be able to CC. There are some CC classes out there that are practically impotent at end game which is irritating at best. All of the most challenging mobs can resist or are immune in some games - so annoying.

I plan to try the dominator class so I hope that is not the case in Rift.
    remember the Dominator is the soul, not the calling so you can just switch then if your not happy with it.

I've never tried a cc class as my main...maybe it's time to give it a spin, this one sounds fun =D

Quote Originally Posted by Merketh View Post
    remember the Dominator is the soul, not the calling so you can just switch then if your not happy with it.
    Oh yes. That's right. I am going to have to wrap my brain around that.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

If this is anything like the Enchanter from EQ than count me excited! The Enchanter was such an awesome class in so many ways.

I have played in the past classes that had the ability to manipulate the battle i.e. Crowd Control ... I looks and sounds cool, my major concern is how it is applied.

Will groups / raids kill stuff so fast that they don't need any type of CC and just need DPS / Utility from the class. Or will mobs (most or all) have some type of immunity to their CC? Either way it will render a portion of the class unneeded.

Rift Disciple

Things to look for would be mez, stun, amnesia, and confusion type spells. I have found confusion type spells to be more of a burden in PvE but they can be very effective in PvP. The big one for me with this class would be charm. I would put it in the shouldn't catagory, although i'd bet a lot of people will want it. For me it creates a lot of imbalance , and i just dont like pets. Also if they get charm you can pretty much count on their spell damage to be weak.

Gotta say, I was hoping there'd be a CC class so I'm in a pretty good mood. Hopefully it's more than just a utility class.

Very exciting! I am also hoping we will see an illusionist type class as the last of the mages

I had fun back in eq on an enchanter, and not just selling buffs =)

I might have to try this asa an alt, and the name woot says well it says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Kithiel View Post
    I've never tried a cc class as my main...maybe it's time to give it a spin, this one sounds fun =D
    You'll get all thr girls and special raid invites trust me. If this game runs it like EQ in the least expect a slot in the group to need one of these as mandatory - no questions asked. They're like drug dealers everyone has one but won't admit to needing them.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Quote Originally Posted by Shagroth View Post
    You'll get all thr girls and special raid invites trust me. If this game runs it like EQ in the least expect a slot in the group to need one of these as mandatory - no questions asked. They're like drug dealers everyone has one but won't admit to needing them.
    I wouldn't bet on it. In EQ2 mezzing is neither required or wanted since it slows down the killing in heroic play (instances etc where the rule of thumb is to pull absolutely everything and AOE it down) and doesn't work on raid mobs. I played a chanter (Illusionist) from 2004 until around 2 months ago when I had just had enough of poor dps and a whole hotbar of control spells that hadn't been used for at least 3 years.

Hopefully mobs will be dangerous, and pulling several will mean very real danger of a wipe so that chanters (Dominator) actually can control the flow of battle and keep a group safe as it was back in the day.

Pure utility classes just own completely in group battles. They can change the tide more than a healer imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast