+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Archon Mage soul thoughts

Default Archon Mage soul thoughts

Kilrathi mentioned late last nite after the pax party that the Archon mage soul was possible. I'm not confirming nor denying, but what I am trying to do is get some creative juices flowing on ideas of what this class may offer.

My thoughts are that it could be a melee mage of sorts with damage reduction shields, maybe wall abilities(to ward off pesky melee or absorb damage), or could also have some nice wind related abilities to render players immovable, suspend them in air, or just knock them back. Perhaps they could provide melee buffs. Would be nice to possibly have a caster class that buffed melee.

Thoughts, ideas, or contributions?

Well, since we have nothing but the name, let's look into it a bit further. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archon
    So in Greek, the word means ruler or lord. In ancient times, it sounds like it was used broadly as the title for someone in charge of something. But that doesn't do much for giving insight into the class, unless it is another Pet class.

So looking at more recent applications of Archon, it seems to have picked up religious meaning. Basically describing someone or something as a servant of god. It has also been used for describing celestial beings such as angels, demons, or lesser gods.

And then looking at modern usage of the word in fiction, we see it adheres more to the religious sense of the word, either describing celestial beings, followers (usually human in this sense) of a faith.

So could Rift's Archon be a mage who adheres to a faith, and therefore be the mage healer? It sounds somewhat out of the cleric family just by title.
    Un-nerf snare please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorm View Post
    So could Rift's Archon be a mage who adheres to a faith, and therefore be the mage healer? It sounds somewhat out of the cleric family just by title.
    chloromancer(name subject to change) is supposed to be the "healing" soul of the mage tree and has been confirmed. I'm doubting it will be a healing type role.

However, you did bring up some interesting theories.

I just envisioned an archon as maybe someone who is bold, in the front lines, and makes those around him stronger(via buffs) or inhibits his enemies.

my guess is that its a divine based mage, probably with some wards and such

I would have to agree with the speculation that this is the battle mage line. Of course its just a guess though at this point. I love the diversity of the mages at this time and I'm excited to see how all of this comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronibis View Post
    chloromancer(name subject to change) is supposed to be the "healing" soul of the mage tree and has been confirmed. I'm doubting it will be a healing type role.

However, you did bring up some interesting theories.

I just envisioned an archon as maybe someone who is bold, in the front lines, and makes those around him stronger(via buffs) or inhibits his enemies.
    Forgot about the chloromancer, mainly since the name is bad and will be changed.

I guess it could be the melee mage. As there are only two remaining unknown soul functions, assuming there will be 8 souls.

Elementalist - Pet class
    Warlock - death/DoTs, drain life, Fear
    Pyromancer - fire, positionals?, probable nuker high DPS.
    Storm Caller - water(ice)/ Air, best guess would be high defense and AoEs
    Chloromancer - probably a "green"/plant mage, so Life based, healer
    Dominator - unknown besides having CCs.
    Archon -
    Unknown -
    Un-nerf snare please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorm View Post
    Forgot about the chloromancer, mainly since the name is bad and will be changed.

I guess it could be the melee mage. As there are only two remaining unknown soul functions, assuming there will be 8 souls.

Elementalist - Pet class
    Warlock - death/DoTs, drain life, Fear
    Pyromancer - fire, positionals?, probable nuker high DPS.
    Storm Caller - water(ice)/ Air, best guess would be high defense and AoEs
    Chloromancer - probably a "green"/plant mage, so Life based, healer
    Dominator - unknown besides having CCs.
    Archon -
    Unknown -
    Yup sounds great:
    -pet (earth, etc)
    -death, DoT
    -fire
    -water(ice)/air
    -life?, healer
    -CC, mind?
    -battle mage?
    -unknown

I'm loving this so far. We get all the elements, but with more!

That and the definition (not surprisingly) for the prefix "Arch" are very similar. Generally speaking an Archmage is one who has ascended to the highest level of magical understanding and/or is a leader of some sort. My guess is that an Archon Mage would have access to many elements, be able to combine them into multi-element spells, be able to cast meta-elemental spells such as Arcane (pure mana) or Shadow (Death and Air maybe?). Generally Archmages are also capable of finer manipulations of spells, of which lesser mages can only dream. Perhaps they will have some sort of meta magic to fine tune their spells?

...just my speculative two cents.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

My head is spinning at the possibility of a battle mage. I'm not sure how they would make it work but that would be nifty. Maybe it's just a mage that focuses on Arcane magic, though? Channeled spell caster perhaps. Spells would be slower than DD spells but faster acting than dots.

I dunno, but I love the theories.

Yeah some sort of battlemage would ROCK! I'd really love to see each calling get a soul or two that allows them to be a sort of hybrid.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

Well, since some of the PAX attendees have said Necromancer is the last soul, if they were to have a melee mage, it would be the Archon.

I wonder if it would be along the lines of the Shaman, pure melee offense, or the Justicar, which mixed melee with Cleric abilities.
    Un-nerf snare please.

I was thinking of more of a support class. They could be used to buff, shield, etc. But yeah, insights on possible dynamics is always welcome and entertained.

Falling along the lines for the origin of the word archon, perhaps there is an enchanter angle. Someone who is a ruler/leader is someone who convinces others to follow him/her. So it would follow that an archon would be able to charm. Also great orators have been able to sway crowds and either pacify them or rile them into madness.

So I can see charm, mezz, and confuse mechanics for the archon soul.

Well, using the Archon as Ruler definition, they could easily be the CC class, dominating, ruling over others.

edit: err... disregard, somehow missed the Dominator class. Too much RL, not enough reading.
    Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; 09-05-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fangGWJ View Post
    Falling along the lines for the origin of the word archon, perhaps there is an enchanter angle. Someone who is a ruler/leader is someone who convinces others to follow him/her. So it would follow that an archon would be able to charm. Also great orators have been able to sway crowds and either pacify them or rile them into madness.

So I can see charm, mezz, and confuse mechanics for the archon soul.
    I agree. I predict the class will be an enchanter type, possibly specializing in charm abilities. Taking the whole mage archetype into consideration, I think having only one enchanter class, having the abilities other MMOs have typically given enchanter classes, could potentially be a little overpowered. Would make sense to sort of spread the abilities out among two different enchanter class types similar to what was done in Everquest 2. Could be the other way around though. Maybe the Dominator is a charm specializing enchanter, and the Archon specializes more with mezzes. If you think about it, the best way to "dominate" something, was be to charm it right?
    Last edited by Gregos; 09-05-2010 at 10:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast