+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Give me Unbalance!

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26

    Default Give me Unbalance!

    I may be crazy, but I think rift has a very solid opportunity to bring back a component of Everquest that was grand, unbalance. Forget the cleric, but the warrior was absolutely crippled without a group back then. That wasn't a bad thing, when you needed a meat shield, you had one, and they were very important. But also, a Necromancer was a solosist that could do very decent damage but played towards someone who wanted to just go out and solo efficiently.

    With all these souls and such. I think it would not be a bad thing to bring back the buffer, the meat shield, the soloist, the healer, the damage dealer, the taxi and the crowd controller. Bring back some classes that could do certain things that n o other class can. Or at least put those class defining abilities deep in a skill tree so if someone wants to utilize their class for what it was meant to do (according to common fantasy lore) they can.

    Personally, I miss being a cleric and doing rez missions for certain classes, and having an hp/armor buff that no one else had. Also, I appreciated creating business and personal relationships with buffers like enchanters because they had mana regen that no one else had. I never wanted to solo like a necromancer, but if i wanted to do it a bit, I found undead things because thats what I could solo.

    Now a days, people can teleport every 5 minutes through a character ability and a trait and a vet reward and a pony and a clicky. They can get whatever they want, when they want and have their cake and eat it too. Bring back some interdependence. What do we all say?

  2. #2
    Telaran Acebreus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I agree. I think that a static class game would suffer because of such a system in today's market, but with rifts dynamic roles that option shouldn't drive others away and it will bring back some of the awe of others classes we used to have in eq.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3250&dateline=1279205  221
    <PAIN >

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Zyllos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Ya, I remember the Warrior class taking forever to level because of the amount of down time inbetween each kill while the Necro just kept going and going.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple Nimsul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    114

    Default

    I can agree to this as well.

    I wouldn't say unbalance so much as classes being different and all benefiting each other instead of all just being different colored ponies all racing against each other.

    Interdependence is a good word for it. I like that.

    I really think it comes down to the Too many chiefs, not enough indians mentality.

  5. #5
    Ascendant rabb1t's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyllos View Post
    I remember the Warrior class taking forever to level because of the amount of down time inbetween each kill
    I remember 15+ minutes to get full mana. If you were a lone Cleric waiting for a group you were screwed because you'd just sit and heal/buff the others around you and never have anything left to do something on yer own.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers


  6. #6
    Rift Master armengar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    I remember 15+ minutes to get full mana. If you were a lone Cleric waiting for a group you were screwed because you'd just sit and heal/buff the others around you and never have anything left to do something on yer own.
    I remember soloing well on my sk and enchanter, lifetap and go on, charm, kill 2 mobs then kill your charm for that easy exp =0

    but I do not miss the downtime of soloing in eq, levels did feel like epic acomplishments, but damn some took forever

  7. #7
    Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Overthere
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    I remember 15+ minutes to get full mana. If you were a lone Cleric waiting for a group you were screwed because you'd just sit and heal/buff the others around you and never have anything left to do something on yer own.
    Only if that was your choice.

    I solo leveled a cleric to 70 in EQ, it was not fast, but I never had any difficulties doing so. Just find someplace with level appropriate undead and go to town.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander Ghomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I agree I soloed my SK as far as I could....at least until fear kiting no longer worked. But I would love to see some defined roles...even if those roles are specific souls.

    Played to long with cookie cutter classes that aren't hardly different from their counterparts
    Let's Rock - Al Bundy

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara Ravenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania AUS
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    I really hope they dont stress too much about balancing the game and instead work hard to make sure each class is a unique experience and make sure the game is fun.

  10. #10
    Telaran Acebreus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghomer View Post
    I agree I soloed my SK as far as I could....at least until fear kiting no longer worked. But I would love to see some defined roles...even if those roles are specific souls.

    Played to long with cookie cutter classes that aren't hardly different from their counterparts
    I loved fear kiting. I practically soloed to 51 then soloed about 25% of the time between there and 65. I'd be all for a game that allows every player to solo in some odd way, or some form or another.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3250&dateline=1279205  221
    <PAIN >

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Albieos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    251

    Default

    West Karana barbarians FTW!!!

    ..

    But ya, WTB some of the old school type classes and mechanics, minus the downtime and huge grind :P

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Yeah, great fun and memories there.

    And looking at how you can have three souls prepped and 51 pts to spend amonst the three of them, it really doesn't seem all that far fetched to have your main soul or class (lets call it the elementalist, pet mage) as a soul that really fleshes out as that specific specialized class once you are deep into its tree. If you wanted cookie cutter, do everything class, you choose three souls and go shallow into their trees.. you want something thats specific and cant do everything? you go into that tree deeply.

    I hope it works like that. That way, you could have a bit of a choice, but mainly be able to have those old, specialized classes, that would still be desired because only those that dedicated all of their soul tree points into a single class enough could buff the best, or heal the best or tank the best.

  13. #13
    Champion of Telara Shagroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Myth HQ/Belmont
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    I think everyone who remembers EQ fondly will agree but you're not going to get what you want mainly because all the people who remember WoW fondly (who didn't play anything before that) will lose their minds if this is implemented. Could you imagine an MMO with classes that can't solo well or actual DOWNTIME? That's unheard of in this day and age...

    Did you feel the sarcasm? If not you're taking it too seriously. In truth I would love to see Trion toughen things up a bit, force grouping and all that jazz by doing as you say but its not marketable anymore - the extremist always want that stuff but the average joe who out numbers the extremist won't find that very entertaining at all.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

    a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

  14. #14
    Ascendant rabb1t's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shagroth View Post
    In truth I would love to see Trion toughen things up a bit, force grouping and all that jazz by doing as you say but its not marketable anymore - the extremist always want that stuff but the average joe who out numbers the extremist won't find that very entertaining at all.
    That's what I keep trying to explain to peeps, but they just don't seem to get it. Speaking as someone who started when Basic Blue Box D&D was new, then slowly progressed to online, who played EQ at launch, I don't even know that I, someone who came from PnP slow paced roots would want to see things like downtimes so long to recover that you could walk away, do dishes and make a sandwich before being back to full. Had enough of those days, thanks. Now... phased content for dungeons so you could do just one part that takes 1/2 hour or the entire dungeon chain that would take maybe 2-3 hours, that I'd like to see.

    But yeah, I often talk about even just 5 years ago in the 'old days' of WoW where molten core and other raids were 6 hours just to break into the start of the zone. Many people would be like 'phew, ok we are at hour 4 (or 6), let's all take a 15 minute break'. Now it's like 'ok we've been here an hour, let's take a break since we are wiping and come back in 5'. Peeps just don't seem to have patients anymore. While I understand it and can appriciate the hour to two hour completion times for a whole dungeon, I do have to say that things seem... less... without the option for longer dungeon runs that take a bit more coordination and tactical knowledge to progress through.

    I'm sure that if a game came out that was good enough that slowed the pace down some new players would be attracted to it (lets face it, there will always be new players, a game playing generation seems to be about every 5 years), but I think the genra overall is just evolving towards a more and more action oriented pace than turn based. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different, and people have to decide if they like that kind of difference or not and find the game that fits to what they want.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers


  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I'm not sure i totally agree. I dont correlate classes that were unique with downtime. Sure EQ had lots of it, but I also played wow, and honestly, tried, beta tested or subbed to most every other mmo out there except the star trek and star wars ones, just cant do it. But anyway

    I really loved the fast pace of wow. That was fun. But I also hated that druids could turn into bears and mimic warriors at the press of a finger. What I'm really trying to support is the idea of a need for classes to be around because you cant have everything without the players there to serve the game. Take binding in EQ (i dont mean to use the examples all from eq, but it's relevent). You could not just bind your soul or find a totem to click or pay an npc, you had to find someone who was online, who was the right class, ad who was willing to do it. That part is important.

    To not only be an important class, but a helpful player was important. I dont remember as much trolling, flaming and rants even on the forums back then because well, your character meant something to the world and a reputation was important. People needed you and you damn sure needed them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts