Closed Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gyle
  • 1 Post By Robes

Thread: Rogue or mage

Soulwalker

Default Rogue or mage

Hey I just got back into rift with some friends after only getting to level 28 as a mage on the first month of release.

I've levelled a mage and rogue to level 22-3 and can't decide which one to play, i'm really fickle. I played a mage on wow for 2 years and i always play mages. I felt like a change but I feel like the rogues are really weak and less usefull...It also just feels like a spam fest sometimes, but I love the whole stealthy assasination and teleporting [melee only, can't stand bows and guns].

What class does more damage?
    What class is more fun[opinion based obviously]?
    What class is more useful, sought after?
    What class is better in pvp?
    What class is better at soloing

Quote Originally Posted by Atrixer View Post
    What class does more damage? They are both very competitive at top gear levels, it's really about who is more skilled.

What class is more fun[opinion based obviously]? Rogue clearly. Rogues have a faster GCD (mages can get it with Pyro, but only in pyro) which means you have to make faster decisions, your rotations are faster, and your character is more responsive. No comparison IMO, but i like things to be fast.

What class is more useful, sought after? Both equally, however there are a lot fewer good mages than there are good rogues. A good mage is more sought after than a good rogue usually.

What class is better in pvp? I don't PvP so i don't know.

What class is better at soloing? Both are equally worse at it than warriors and clerics. All classes are good soloers in the right build, but clerics and warriors do it best.

Answers are in orange.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Hey I just got back into rift with some friends after only getting to level 28 as a mage on the first month of release.

I've levelled a mage and rogue to level 22-3 and can't decide which one to play, i'm really fickle. I played a mage on wow for 2 years and i always play mages. I felt like a change but I feel like the rogues are really weak and less usefull...It also just feels like a spam fest sometimes, but I love the whole stealthy assasination and teleporting [melee only, can't stand bows and guns].

What class does more damage?Depends on build really. NB builds can hit pretty damn hard but so do Pyros. I'd argue that they are comparable though.
    What class is more fun[opinion based obviously]? For me, mage. However, that might change if Sabotuer becomes good again.
    What class is more useful, sought after? I would argue mages. There's more rogues than mages running around from what I can tell.
    What class is better in pvp? Both are viable and both can be deadly in the right hands. Me, I suck with Marksman. HORRIBLY. But I see many that slaughter people as a MM. I myself do decently well with NB builds. Mage is much the same. Some people rock with them, some people fail with them. Both do very well in PvP though.
    What class is better at soloing Gonna have to give this one to rogue. For one, assassin lets them get around mobs that you don't feel like wasting time on. Also, Rogues can AoE mobs down a bit better than mages can I think
    Answers are in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Ascendant

What class does more damage? See above posts
    What class is more fun[opinion based obviously]? See above posts
    What class is more useful, sought after? See above posts
    What class is better in pvp? See above posts
    What class is better at soloing See above posts

Answers are in blue.

Ascendant

I think Gyle got it about right

Except that Mages are clearly more awesome and way more fun than Rogues :P

Rift Disciple

these guys just say that because they are one of the 1000001 rogues and dont want more.
    Rogues are over the top atm..mages are not.i got one of each.
    Old school llong time mmo player, played more rpgs than id care to admit!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by thehelios View Post
    these guys just say that because they are one of the 1000001 rogues and dont want more.
    Rogues are over the top atm..mages are not.i got one of each.
    eheh same situation here ^^.

Mages currently are stuck with pyro souls when they want to do damage and this is a really boring situation. While rogues can do more dmg than mages with all 3 of their damage builds. Marksman, assassin, NB/RS They got these builds when mages got 51pyro, pyrodom, and maybe pyrochloro. Mages got no options when it comes to damage in pvp.

Rift Disciple

It comes down to this: Do you want to be a really good healer able to dps (still lower than rogues, of course) pick mage.

Do you want to: dominate pvp and be the best dps spec? Pick rogue.

For soloing rogues do it quite well. Mages at lower levels less so but it evens out at higher levels

Soulwalker

Thanks guys, the Rift community is alive and well it would seem, nice to get some friendly responses.

I went with Rogue, the thought of being a flippin' ninja swayed me that way :P
    Last edited by Atrixer; 02-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Mages a very boring atm.

I used to run WL/AM and did it successfully. Good dmg and fun to play. Now there is only pyro and dom to use in pvp as a dps. Tried WL/Necro and just got 2 shotted by every pyro I met.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Closed Thread