+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP - Allrounder Mage (utility, dps, offheal)

Default PvP - Allrounder Mage (utility, dps, offheal)

Ok ... so I want to create a mage build for PvP which is both able to dish out reasonable dps, but can stay alive solo, while also bringing nice utility/cc/offheals for a group situation ... Since I will mostly play with a good premade group or roam around alone. The idea behind this is, that I want to really master a soul-combination and play it to its full potential instead of always switching very specialized roles ... (PvE is a different matter, where specialized roles outshine the allrounders imo).

I was thinking about this one (Warlock/Necro/Dominator), because it offers much crowd control, strong self healing and survivability, off-healing through necro, and nice dmg (but mainly through dots) with the option of AoE (Radiate Death, Grave Rot, Devouring Shadows) + I like the dark wizard flair ;-)
    ... two points could be swapped from Dominator to Necro to get a Hot instead of the 30% Healdebuff.

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...17,5_&lang=eng
    Last edited by Bachmors; 01-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Looks good.

The only suggestion I might make is to put enough points into the Necromancer tree to get ancient tomb. So that way you would have a really strong pet by your side. OR you could switch out your Dom tree for the PVP tree since you're going to be using this for mostly PvP and get some of the bonuses there, and you could still use fear as your main source of control.
    Last edited by Totec; 01-19-2011 at 02:51 PM.

@Totec
    I was thinking about that too, but I just can't decide, because I would lose Neddra's Essence (which is probably going to be a life-safer for solo-pvp), a 5 second silence and 8% dmg (but the pet would more then make up for the lost dmg, no doubt)

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...17,5_&lang=eng

Edit: The following build would be Archmage instead of Dominator as you suggested ... this way the build gets much stronger damage and the incredible Hastened withdraw ... but loses a knockback, a root with aoe-dmg, a 30% healdebuff, aoe-silence, a really nasty dot, a debuff-cleanse and most important of all: transference to shut one enemy down.

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...18,5_&lang=eng

But it's hard to say which one is better really, because hastened withdraw is just so încredibly awesome too ^^
    Last edited by Bachmors; 01-19-2011 at 03:01 PM.

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...17,3_&lang=eng

Wise man. However, Ive gone mostly all out DOT damage as I dont think people have seen the full power of DOT yet as no one has enough soul points to get the full damage increase buffs. The CC is also fantastic for groups/raids which RIFT is going to need given the tactics required even in early level instances.

My build is above, its pre-dominantly necro using my pets / DOT and then will be able to CC and off heal. warlock is used to both increase damage of DOTS, an extra DD and a way to get my charge up quicker. I have maxed out my necro pets but will see how strong they are fully buffed in retail, if they arent what I want then I will go further up warlock to get potency and dark power to stack additional damage power / criticality for DOTS

@Jebu

If you put some of the points in necro into warlock (having both clattering bones and vengeful spirit will probably not be necessary because the first is for the zealot and the knight and the latter for the shadow revenant I think ... also feign death is not necessary I guess, because for PvE you already have Memory wipe and Feign death is useless for PvP as far as I've heard)

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...17,3_&lang=eng

This way you get "Sacrifice Life: Damage" in the Warlock tree for +10% dmg (+devouring shadows, dark fury and draining bolt)

This would probably be one of the best PvP variants for solo-PvP roaming/survivability

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...19,5_&lang=eng
    Last edited by Bachmors; 01-19-2011 at 04:20 PM.

A build I have shown a few times that I am working. I have much the same goals. To have plenty of escapes in the bag of tricks to keep enemys away from me as much as possible and do dmg on my terms. Only instead of working necro in I went with a 26 warlock, 19 dominator, and 21 stormcaller build.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...19,5_&lang=eng

Have a bunch of CC options. Snares, Knockbacks, Stun, Roots, Squirrel, Fear etc. From StormCaller I get to turn a few of the CC options into AoE versions to deal with more than one target or a chance to run away from multiple targets. In Dominator I see ways for dealing with other casters with the mana drains, silences, reflective command etc. So using various CC's I can keep targets at bay so I can dps without having them in my face which hurts. Or get closer to casters and CC them to keep them within an AoE silence and punish them.

DPS comes from a combo of DoT's and Direct Dmg. Stormcaller has some nice dmg in it but takes a bit of time to build. You need to stack an effect on a target to get max dmg from an instant cast no cool down primary nuke. And in the Stormcaller tree there are several options to get the electrocute stack on a target rather quickly. Don't have a pet but then I have never really been a pet class type of player nor did I want to have to dedicate enough points to gain the higher level pets. I can see the goal you want since its very close to my same goals. You may have a few more healing options that I don't by going into the necro line but I have the aoe CC's and another dmg source.

Been using this model in beta and while not lvl 50 the idea has been working out pretty well as a good all around spec. Solo PvE I do well against single mobs even multiples. Group PvE I was more effective than I thought. PvP solo and group I have done better than I could have hoped so anxious to see how this build works endgame.

Thats a nice way to get the 10% damage bonus without moving up too far in warlock. Good call.

The mage is also the weakest of the pets I have noticed so far and was planning on either using the Zealot for when I want a big DPS punch or the Knight for where I want more solo tank support.

Made a few minor tweak so to add up from that little lot we have "The Jebu Build" with the below flexibility. Will do me nicely.

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...16,5_&lang=eng

Damage Increases

Deaths Ally = 5% damage increase
    Nedaras Influence = 15% damage increase
    Nedra Torture = 15% damage increase
    Sacrifice Lifeamage = 10% damage increase
    LIch Form = 10% damage increase
    TOTAL = 55% damage increase

DOTS

Necrosis + flesh rot buffed
    Grave Rot
    Soul Purge
    Life Leech + 15% damage inc improvement
    Dark Touch
    Devouring Shadows
    Nedras Grasp

CC

squirrelling (30 sec single target)
    Thunder blast (KB)
    Arresting Prescence (Channeling AOE CC)
    Fear (10 sec single target)
    Dark Fury (1 sec stun single target (wouldnt call this CC!)
    Priests Lament (if enemy heals, silences for 3 seconds)
    Wither (70% slow for 8 secs)

Healing

Blood Binding (Health Drain off heal)
    Soul Purge (DOT Channeling self heal)
    Reconstruct (Channeling self heal)
    Life Leach (DOT + HOT)
    Essence Link (Pet Induced HOT, not massive effect)
    Draiing Bolt (DD + Self Heal)

Extras

Fully buffed pets, Zealot for DPS, Knight for Tanking
    Deny for removing all de-buffs (Tanks best friend)
    Memory Wipe (Guaranteed aggro removal)
    Accelerated Decay (debuff on attack speed, helps out tank)

@Jebu
    Glad I could help :-)
    The build looks nice, but I'm not really too fond of being mostly dependent of my pet, so it's not for me.

@Datku

I like your build ... the only concern I have is: Have you found out if knockbacks cause an immunity timer after several uses on the enemy?
    If not your build is really great (though you have less survivability and less synergies and you could get mana-problems, because of the lack of greater consumption and reclaim power of the necro)
    Last edited by Bachmors; 01-19-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachmors View Post
    @Datku

I like your build ... the only concern I have is: Have you found out if knockbacks cause an immunity timer after several uses on the enemy?
    If not your build is really great (though you have less survivability and less synergies and you could get mana-problems, because of the lack of greater consumption and reclaim power of the necro)
    Don't know about immunities. Frankly I have not seen any immunity triggers yet so far in beta. Don't know if that means there wont be or they are not in yet. I would hope knockback dont since the one skill in Storm is a shield that knocks back any one attacking within 5 meters back 10 meters up to 5 times within 1 minute. As for mana problems I actually have several ways to gain mana. Mana wrench when upgraded does good dmg and drains a nice amount of mana back to me, then in storm have recharge to gain mana, and have sacrifice life in lock tree if desperate. As for surviveablity if I can keep targets away from me for most of a fight then I am hoping the leeches, life bolts, shield regen etc can help or I can always squirrel / fear and reconstruct if needed and have Shadow life as my Oh $#i* heal as well. Have to just see how things go and be ready to CC and run if I need so I can heal up, pop a pot or buy time to get pot off cool down and come back in to attack on my terms hehe.
    Last edited by Datku; 01-19-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Your build looks really interesting ...especially the combination of reconstruct + flash freeze
    I think I will try your build in retail too :-)

Plus this build for extrem AoE-ownage in a premade-group ^^
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...19,5_&lang=eng

This looks like a nice build, what I don't understand though is why try to fill so many roles considering you can switch between the different roles and what not? I kind of took the stance of this is my PvP build, this is my solo build and this is my group/instance build.

North America PvP Guild - Lotham
    North America PvE Guild - Galena
    http://hysteria-guild.forumotion.com

This looks like a nice build, what I don't understand though is why try to fill so many roles considering you can switch between the different roles and what not? I kind of took the stance of this is my PvP build, this is my solo build and this is my group/instance build.
    It's mostly a solo-PvP build in different variations (for solo roaming or warfronts with pugs) ... When i play in a premade group where everyone has his/her specialized role (and knows how to play it) then I would probably use the Stormcaller/Elementalist/Archmage build I just posted ... but this is not always the case, and in pugs, where the healers suck most of the time and everyone seems to do random chaotic stuff I like to have a build with less dps but more utility, survivability and cc :-)
    Last edited by Bachmors; 01-19-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhixiaus View Post
    There is that option but also a few reasons to have a general build as well. If your on a PvP server you may not get a chance to change your role before you get attacked from a high dps but completely squishy role to your PvP role. Also with a general purpose role you dont need to set up a solo role, group role, raid role, PvP role. You can do more of a general purpose, a high dps, a support/heal role, and whatever else you want to experiement with.

Its one of the things in rift that will make it all fun. You can experiment with different combinations and if you PvP...you never know what your going up against until you attack

+ Reply to Thread