+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Warrior Tank

Default The Warrior Tank

Tanks have one job. Protecting the people in their group/raid. They do this by having lots of health, mitigation, and threat/aggro management. When building a tank, its important to realize that keeping your healers/support/dps alive and healthy is your primary goal, not just tanking the boss mob or main pull. The tricky part is deciding when to pull adds off of your raid, and when to let your raid members fend for themselves. Much of this is dependent on group makeup, raid size and the number of adds. Regardless, when you step out on that battlefield in your shiny armor with your shield and sword, people depend on you to keep the baddies off them. Do your job.

Before the tank discussion goes much further, I'm going to offer my first two builds.

1. If energy management is not a problem, this is the tanking build to get. 31Warlord/11Reaper/24Paladin

2. If energy management is an issue then this is the tanking build to get. 31Warlord/4Riftblade/31Paladin

Lets talk about why these builds come out top. First, lets talk about our first build.

Build 1 - 31 Warlord, 11 Reaper, 24 Paladin
    • Mitigation
    18% Armor Increase (8% Warlord, 10%Paladin)
    40% Increased Block (5% Warlord, 35% Paladin - 15% passive 20% active skill)
    5% increased dodge (Warlord)
    5% AoE hit chance reduction (Warlord)
    2, 5 sec, disarms (Warlord 20s CD/Paladin 30s CD, block reactive)
    5% all damage reduction (Reaver)
    10% melee damage reduction (5%Warlord, 5% Paladin Active Skill)
    +50 to all element resist (Warlord)
    9% Spell damage reduction(Paladin)
    That's a lot of mitigation.
    • Health
    30% Endurance Increase (15% Paladin, 15% Reaper)
    Flat +X endurance aura that affects 25 meter area. (Paladin)
    15% incoming healing (Warlord) This is SUPER IMPORTANT for big heals and mana efficiency.
    Raid wide 9% increase in healing with threat reduction on healing, 22 sec buff (Warlord)
    50% max health increase, 50% max health HoT (15 sec), +45 Magic resists, RAID WIDE, once every two minutes (Warlord). Holy.....
    Is this even fair?

• Threat/Aggro

3 Single target abilities that force the target to attack the tank for 3s, 8s CD. One with a 20 meter range.(One per soul)
    2 AoE abilities that force the surrounding targets to attack the tank for 3s. (Warlord/Paladin)
    Raid Wide healing threat reduction buff, 22s. (Warlord) includes a 9% healing increase
    Raid Wide physical damage threat reduction buff, 22s (Warlord) includes a 6% melee damage increase
    Raid Wide Magic damage threat reduction buff, 22s (Warlord) includes a 6% magic damage increase
    30% Threat increase across the board (Paladin)
    AoE debuff causes periodic threat increase (Warlord)
    Incoming attacks increase threat through 2 abilities (Warlord/Reaver)
    Many threat increasing abilities and finishers
    Nothing is getting away. GET OVER HERE!
    • Utility/Support

5% AoE melee damage increase debuff (Warlord)
    6% Raid Wide physical damage increase (Warlord)
    6% Raid Wide magical damage increase (Warlord)
    15% Raid Wide healing increase (Warlord)
    +50 to all resists Raid Wide (Warlord)
    5% attacker damage reduction debuff for 6 seconds after each attack on tank, 1 stack. (Warlord)
    25% of all blocks add an Attack Point (Paladin)
    10% to hit increase (Paladin)
    Charge with a 2s root (Paladin)
    Remove all CC effects 1 min CD. (Paladin)
    AoE +X Endurance buff (Paladin)
    50% heal on raid member (not self) on death to prevent death (Warlord) Save's healers or CCers. Usable once per 3 minutes!(Warlord)
    100% heal on raid member (not self) 20 min CD (Paladin)
    Wow. Just wow. I have never seen so many oh s**t buttons on a tank. This is going to be fun!

The problem is, that's a LOT of things to keep up with. Which means, tanking is going to be quite fun, especially if you're up to the challenge. You can save your healers, your CC members, with a 3 minute CD don't die button. You can heal your entire raid for 50% of their health once every two minutes. Warlocks, Necromancers, Cabalists, and healers will love you. You not only can take damage like a beast, you can increase the damage of the whole raid by a significant amount. With the healers getting a nifty 24% healing bonus on you, and a %9 bonus on everyone else, whats not to love? Dps gets a 6% increase to damage AND a big threat reduction. Aggro is a breeze with so many tools, you won't know what to do, including passive aggro tools which includes adding aggro when they hit you!

I think that this build is easily one of the most useful builds out there for tanking. I think that the rogue tank may be a little bit easier on the single target tank and spank run, if they can hold aggro, but this tank can handle everything he can do, and increase the efficiency and speed of the entire raid.

The second build is quite similar except we lose all the reaper buffs and pick up more paladin skills that allows more AoE threat management and DPS, and adds an energy regeneration tool, for 20% of your ability point gaining skills, you gain 20 energy. If high end raids prove to be energy starved, this build may be better for keeping up all those wonderful buffs.

I'll be adding more to this post once I get time, but I think this is a good start.

- Renshai

Telaran

This is a similar build to one I had planned, except I decided to seperate the Warlord stuff a bit, at least for raids. Basically those sick Warlord buffs are obviously not going to stack, so if you're going pure tank then it's worth dropping those talents for stuff that directly affects your capacity as a tank, while someone else who has a more purist Warlord spec can cover those sick buffs (think of the Warlord as the Warrior Bard).
    Last edited by Cerzi; 01-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.

I thought about that, but the warlord tree doesn't offer much as far as DPS, so someone would have to create a support tank for this role directly. I would imagine that most tanks want to MT or DPS. I would rather go ahead and spend those three points, since I'm already up in the tree, than having someone else waste all those points just to get there, to gimp their dps. In a group setting, IMO this is idea. In a raid, you could have a warrior with poor gear or lower level pick up the buffs since they don't scale on gear and go with a slightly more tanky build. There really are only two more skills that increase tankyness, and they only do a small amount of mitigation only in certain circumstances. I could see digging deeper into Reaper to pick up Power In the Blood and Crest Mastery, but thats about it.

The warlord calls do stack.

What build are you using?
    Last edited by Renshai; 01-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi View Post
    This is a similar build to one I had planned, except I decided to seperate the Warlord stuff a bit, at least for raids. Basically those sick Warlord buffs are obviously not going to stack, so if you're going pure tank then it's worth dropping those talents for stuff that directly affects your capacity as a tank, while someone else who has a more purist Warlord spec can cover those sick buffs (think of the Warlord as the Warrior Bard).
    I agree that in raid groups some other warrior will almost certainly bring Warlord. It's nice for the +5% block, though, and some other things.

If you are all about being a giant pillow, though, VK will bring you *another* 15% health, so +45% with Reaver and Paladin skills. I know alpha is raiding already, but I think they're sworn to secrecy, so it remains to be seen how much health even raid tanks will need, etc.

Yeah. VK does give you the option for 15% more endurance. The thing is, you have to go 15 points in and spend 10 points to get it. Didn't feel it was worth a 10-15 point investment for 15% endurance. High end raids may need that though.

Telaran

Seeing as how warlords has 3 calls that can be kept up indefinity that each reduce the rest of the groups threat. Imposing that causes them to build up threat form just by getting hit. THey also have eas yaccess to the paladin 30% threat booster talent and pretty much all the paladin stuff worth getting (or even reaver. Warlords look like they can generate a pretty large amount of threat. While they have low to no dps impact they have a lot of threat boosters as well as the valuable group threat reduction.

Edit: boid knight endurance talent is lack luster and i'd almsot say the warlords block talent is lack luster for the same reason when compared to paladin talent.
    Last edited by mmimzy; 01-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Plane Touched

Warlord buffs are for supports/off-tanks. They apply to the whole raid there's absolutely no reason for a MT to waste so many points on them. A main tank needs all the mitigation he can get, and you're missing so much going all up in that Warlord tree.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Malifciar View Post
    Warlord buffs are for supports/off-tanks. They apply to the whole raid there's absolutely no reason for a MT to waste so many points on them. A main tank needs all the mitigation he can get, and you're missing so much going all up in that Warlord tree.
    IF thats so than this is the best tank build for a warrior

EDIT: ^^^^ this is is a sarcastic post
    Last edited by mmimzy; 01-19-2011 at 09:12 PM.

I like the builds however I disagree that they are the "best" and that there is even a best build for tanking. There's many ways to tank, and I forsee people having certain builds for certain boss fights at endgame, which will be neat to try and find out different ways of killing bosses easier...but I digress.

Interesting build, definitely a really good one, I just think there are multiple ways to build tanks.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Shadowlander

I agree with Kornkob, I think every boss endgame will have a different spec that's best for him. Sure once we gear up there will be specs that work for multiple bosses, but I would love to see a raid with 8 bosses, and 2-3 main tanks each have a different spec to cover each, not to mention aoe specs to cover adds and trash.

That, my friend, would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by mmimzy View Post
    IF thats so than this is the best tank build for a warrior
    I think that losing the +15% bonus to incoming healing is a big no no. Getting 9% spell damage reduction and 20% DR when you are 30% below are not worth losing the 15% healing increase.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Renshai View Post
    I think that losing the +15% bonus to incoming healing is a big no no. Getting 9% spell damage reduction and 20% DR when you are 30% below are not worth losing the 15% healing increase.
    that post was clearly sarcastic. I believe that the best tank builds will be those that primary soul paladin, reaver, or warden (maybe VK but that soul seems kinda weak to me and i thnk its more of a dps soul thats best at killing mages). Spend mosto f your points in primary soul most likely geting the 31 point ability at the top. From there, getting points in paladin, reaver, and maybe voidknight.

Basicly playing how you want to play and wahts funnist for you. I'm a believer that trion desires:

justicars and riftstalkers: can tank jsut as good as any combination of warrior souls for all encounters.

Chloromancers: can heal as good as any of the cleric souls combined

Oh good. Sometimes I can be dense =)

I was thinking about a PvP Tanky/Dps/Support tank. Any ideas?

Shadowlander

I stand by my previous post that I think the best tank spec will vary from boss to boss. However if I had to pick one all around spec it would be this:

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=1...20,5_&lang=eng

45% endurance from talents and an endurance buff
    5% reduce all damage talent
    5% reduce damage from Bindings
    18% spell damage reduction
    20% spell absorption
    Reduced damage below 30% health

31% bonus to block between buff, talents and aggresive block

Armor bonus: 10%, 3% per pact, and Crest of the Abyss gives some every time your hit.

30% extra threat, and threat just from being hit, on top of aoe taunts and attacks in all 3 specs.

Spellbreaker, Tempered Will and Paladin's devotion all 3 give ways to break negative effects.

If you have to choose one tank spec, you want the most effective health. With 45% endurance plus a buff and all the damage reduction this is it hands down. Keeping aggro is just as important and this spec has amazing tools for it, no matter the number of targets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast