+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very excited for Rift, but...

Soulwalker

Default Very excited for Rift, but...

So my fiance and I have been looking for something new to play and this game so far looks like its going to fit very well. We both currently play WoW as I'm sure a lot of you are/did and all I'm asking here is a synergy question. My fiance likes to play caster dps classes and is really excited to try out all the combos the mage class has with its soul choices. I on the other hand tend to bounce around. I'm a fan of heavy defense with healing so I tend to play tanks, and to a lesser extent, healers, but I was just wondering what would be a good fit with her choice of caster?

Looking through the warrior class I can see that paladin fits pretty well, but I'm also very interested in the shaman/druid/xx setups. Anyway we're both excited for the next beta to start (pre-ordered just last week) so we can see how things work, but I'm just wondering what people who have actually been in the game think about meshing these two up for doing things together. Oh and for any of you mudders out there, in MajorMUD I ALWAYS played a cleric ;)

The cool thing about the souls in Rift is that each calling can do almost everything. Clerics can heal, dps, or tank. Rogues can dps, heal, or tank. Mages can kill stuff thoroughly, cc, and off-heal. Warriors can dps,tank, with some builds having minor self-heals or anti-magic.

Each calling also has a pet-based soul, and at least one ranged and one melee soul. Mage and Warrior have souls that specialize in dots.

And, you can mix up to three of these souls however you want, within your calling.

I would say, if you two plan to group together all the time. You might like Justicar cleric - you can hold aggro to keep her from getting mobbed, and you can heal to keep both of you going. Could mix that with another healing soul to make it even easier, or another melee soul - like druid or shaman - to buff your own dps. You could probably even use Inquisitor in some way.

Cleric really is the jack of all trades in this game. Unless you really dislike mana, I'd say to give them a shot. But then, I'd try out everything at some point.
    Couldn't hurt to look over a Role Builder if you get bored.
    A foe without honor is a foe already beaten.

Prophet of Telara

Aye. Your fiance will go for a Mage - but will have the option to choose many different flavours. And you could go either Cleric or Warrior and still fulfill all of the roles you mention.

But better still... because you can switch seamlessly between completely different builds, your fiance could one minute be DPS focussed mage... then the next minute be healing/support mage and the next minute be crowd control/pet mage. Similarly, you could be DPS focussed warrior one minute, then the next be a healing focussed tank, then the next be a pet based defence king.

All with just two characters - one each.

So for one battle, you might say to your fiance - go DPS I'll hold the aggro and heal. But the next battle, you could say to your fiance - go healing and me and my pet will DPS the mobs down real fast.

Ultimate flexibility - especially good for a duo who like some variety.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-19-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Telaran

If you like a healer/tank, i would suggest a Cleric as your Calling, going justicar makes you a tank with alot of healing spells, certainly if you go for healing souls to combine with.
    For a caster i would suggest Mage ofc. If your planning to play together every time, it might even be a option for you to roll a warrior to have a other playstyle (and maybe even the better tank at lvl50, all personal speculation). And the mage can use Chloromancer to heal you both while leveling.

You can both have up to 4 specs at a "multi-spec" so the options to play with 2 classes in various combinations are plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Oinai View Post
    So my fiance and I have been looking for something new to play and this game so far looks like its going to fit very well. We both currently play WoW as I'm sure a lot of you are/did and all I'm asking here is a synergy question. My fiance likes to play caster dps classes and is really excited to try out all the combos the mage class has with its soul choices. I on the other hand tend to bounce around. I'm a fan of heavy defense with healing so I tend to play tanks, and to a lesser extent, healers, but I was just wondering what would be a good fit with her choice of caster?

Looking through the warrior class I can see that paladin fits pretty well, but I'm also very interested in the shaman/druid/xx setups. Anyway we're both excited for the next beta to start (pre-ordered just last week) so we can see how things work, but I'm just wondering what people who have actually been in the game think about meshing these two up for doing things together. Oh and for any of you mudders out there, in MajorMUD I ALWAYS played a cleric ;)
    You know, I have the same problem. I'm a fan of different things, but, I don't know what would be a good choice.

Thanks for asking this, some of the replies really help.

What you describe, sounds like a perfect fit for a cleric. The Justicar is just a good a tank as any, and the heals avalible to clerics are second to none. They also DPS (melee and caster) as well as anyone else. Clerics are clearly the most potent solo characters and with a mage by your side you could probably two-man most non-dungeon stuff.

+ Reply to Thread