+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dom/Storm/Ele build needs help

Soulwalker

Default Dom/Storm/Ele build needs help

So after messing around with the soul planner for about a week trying to figure out what class combination I would like to play I think I have a winner.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...17,5_&lang=eng

For a quick explination of why I did what I did.

Stormcaller: I mainly wanted to get recharge to offer something other than CC to a group but then I saw all of the snares and decided to go a little deeper. I took hypothermia so that wind chill, icicle and arctic blast were almost roots. I stopped at flash freeze because of the long cast times of the snares I thought this would be a perfect set up spell for getting snares rolling. With 1 of the 2 points I felt I had "left over" went into static barrier.

Elementalist: I took this originally to get encase but continued down the tree to get my lesser air elemental. I felt like the elementalist had pretty good synergy with my other lines. If the Air pet isnt very good DPS I could see taking some points out of it and putting them back in Dominator tree.

Dominator: I took the skills I thought would increase my crowd control abilities. I didnt go after the 38 point talent because I wasnt impressed with the stun at the expense of so much other crowd control. I felt that Iron will was less valuable than controlled opportunity because of mana wrench and recharge.

So I end up with a decent amount of control and some group utility with recharge. My main concern is that I have too much crowd control, I dont really know if there will be fights were I need to Squirrel a mob and root a mob and snare a mob etc...

I welcome all criticism, constructive or otherwise.

I kind of went the same way only I went with warlock, dominator, and stormcaller. Think I am looking at a 26 loc / 19 Dom / 21 Storm build. My goal was to make a mage that had plenty of control options so that I fought on my terms and kept them away from me as much as possible. Snares, roots, squirrels, stuns, knockbacks, fear you name it. Mix of both dots and direct dmg skills to do dmg. Some casted spells, good amount of instant skills so I can stay mobile.

Prophet of Telara

This is one of those combos that looks like it should go great together.

My feedback is that I played an Ele/SC/Dom to 23 in the last beta - and was a bit underwhelmed. I went for a fairly even balance across Ele and SC and had 0pts in Dom for the squirrel - so it's a different take than you've gone for.

What I'd say is, that the SC side seems a bit underpowered on damage. I think they've included the control effects and so left the damage on the weak side... which means that although there's apparently good synergy between SC and Ele, I was still left feeling like I was doing DoT mage style damage... but I had to cast every hit of the DoT myself, leaving me less time to actually take advantage of some of the other stuff.

I did end up doing fairly good AoE damage with Air ele and electric and water AoEs... plus when you get to Burning Ground on the Ele roots, that makes a big difference... but still I missed the big bursts of damage that I felt I should be getting. Neither SC nor Ele is a DoT mage... but they didn't have those massive hits and bursts of damage that you want from a Strike Mage.

I'd honestly say that since you have so much control from the Dom tree and you're clearly focussing on Dom - there are probably better options than StormCaller for your third soul. I'd probably prefer to go higher in the Ele tree to get the Grtr Elemental Pets and call that my second soul... then pick one of the other mage souls for your third. Since Dom isn't the greatest DPS spec... and you want to take advantage of Ele synergies... you might consider Pyro.

Perhaps something like this build? I really just threw it together very quickly though, so I'm sure there's better options. I took Pyro far enough for Internalise Charge, Flicker and FireStorm... all of which are excellent abilities. I had to take a few things out of the Dom tree to make that happen... it might give you some pointers though.

X

Soulwalker

Thank you for your inputs, gives me something to think about. How did you feel the crowd control was with just the 0 pt squirrel? Im secretly hoping that because they have soooo much CC posibilities that they have encounters and dungeons that will require lots of it.

The pyro tree has a nice root in it so im not against switching at all to get more DPS, I only picked stormcaller because of the recharge skill.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post

What I'd say is, that the SC side seems a bit underpowered on damage. I think they've included the control effects and so left the damage on the weak side...
    Remember as a StormCaller you can be a bit slow to build up dmg but once you get your electrocute stacks up you can pretty much spam cloudburst and take advantage of the 20% bonus dmg for each electrocute. You can stack Electrocute 3 times so you gain 60% bonus dmg with cloudburst. Several of the SC skills let you get electrocute stacked up fairly fast. Electrocute lasts for 15 sec's so you can get off 4 or 5 cloudbursts before you cast a spell to refresh electrocute then go back to spamming cloudburst. Again Cloudburst is an instant spell with no cool down other than the global cooldown so you can cast it fast, often, and on the move.

I was with you when I first started playing with the SC spells...was unimpressed until I actually read them and figured out the stack effect. Don't underestimate cloudburst it will be your meat and potatoe spell in SC for sure.

I play a Warlock / Dominator / StormCaller. At 50 be a 26 lock, 19 dom, 21 storm build.
    Last edited by Datku; 01-19-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Prophet of Telara

All of the above feedback is with the Electrify stacks included.

Cloudburst is nice and all... but certainly until I was in the low 20s levels, cloudburst was the only thing that took advantage of the electrify stacks. None of the other nukes or AoEs did. And Cloudburst is 13-15 base damage... which with an extra 60% is a max base damage of 24. It's nice, fast, steady damage... consistent like a DoT mage - but not bursty or really big hits like a strike mage.

When you first start playing... you either keep range and have to plug away for 3 casts with Thunderbolt (10-13, x) to build up that charge... or you have to close to melee range to use Electrocute for the stacks (40, x). Thunderbolt has 1.5s attack with the GCD for mages at 1.5s? So you do 30-39 for the first 9 secs, then you get to do the 24 cloudburst base every 1.5 secs until the stacks start dropping and need refreshing.

But in those first 9 seconds you could pretty much do Fireball, Flamebolt, FlameJet with Pyro... and get up to 186 base damage with Pyro instead of 39 from Thunderbolt. You're way behind to start off with... and won't really catch up.

I dunno... it's good, consistent damage. But it's not bursty and it rarely delivers a big bang. You won't notice it so much perhaps, unless you group with other DPS classes... then you see that you don't have the DPS that they're achieving - and you certainly don't get near the burst that many classes will deliver.

It was all just a little underwhelming... and that's coming from a player who tends to prefer consistent damage over time classes in other games. But just because it didn't really rock my boat, doesn't mean it's not a good enough combo. Just not one that shone for me.

X

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    All of the above feedback is with the Electrify stacks included.

Cloudburst is nice and all... but certainly until I was in the low 20s levels, cloudburst was the only thing that took advantage of the electrify stacks. None of the other nukes or AoEs did. And Cloudburst is 13-15 base damage... which with an extra 60% is a max base damage of 24. It's nice, fast, steady damage... consistent like a DoT mage - but not bursty or really big hits like a strike mage.
    You get higher levels of cloudburst. I was doing 70-90 dmg with an unelectrofied cloudburst and 140-170 with a stacked electrofied at lvl 21 and 22 in Iron Tomb. My stacked cloudburst did more dmg than thunderbolt or even void bolt from the warlock soul. A stacked Cloudburst was my highest dmg spell and I could chain cast it. 150dmg every 1 sec vrs 110 on a 1.5 sec cast of Thunderbolt or 130 dmg every 2 sec with void bolt...cloudburst is better. In addition with oppertunity from warlock tree (10% chance to cast next spell instantly) I would often get back to back instant casts with thunderbolt and while using cloudburst proc an oppertunity again so I could instantly throw thunderbolt out and refresh the stack. Electorcute stacked electrofied over the course of the channel then I could use the dominator knockback or warlock fear to get the range to use cloudburst again while on the move.

From what I saw from the pyro soul is sure they hit hard but had god awful long cast times in order to do that big hit. If it takes you 2.5 to 3 sec to cast a spell that does 350 dmg I can get 3 cloudburst off and if electrified was stacked do 450dmg in the same amount of time. Also I don't think the global cooldown is 1.5 sec maybe 1 sec if not less. For me it works with the build I use since I have 2 or 3 dots ticking while I am stacking electrofied. And then I can refresh two of my dots that are instant casts in between cloudbursts as I need and if I proc an oppertunity then I can throw on a 3rd dot if electofied still had plenty of time left so I am doing multiple ticks of consistant dmg and over time will out dps the high dmg per nuke of a pyro. Not saying pyro is a bad soul...in fact I imagine I will work it into a raid role because it does have big hits with less over all work. But I will also say that the SC Soul can be fairly consistant and impressive as well once you work out the rotation to maximize your dps.
    Last edited by Datku; 01-19-2011 at 06:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread