+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A New game, a new playing style.

Soulwalker

Default A New game, a new playing style.

Hi there. This is GraveRaven. I'm posting up this thread cause I need a little help in terms of classes specialization and such.

Firstly, I've seen a few builder sites out there and did a little research. But with a lot of abilities and such out there, it's rather hard to choose which I should pick. So this is where I want to ask you guys for your help. I'm going to give you guys what is my kind of playing style and maybe you guys can help to narrow down on my class talents and such. Well, here it goes.

Firstly, I'm a DPS type of player. As a former WoW player, I ended up playing with a rogue and a mage. ( rogue as in the 'in your face' dps and mage for long range dps.)

So rogue and Mage would be mainly my type. Now second, I'm not much of a pvp type of player. So it would be more for raids/instance, PVE and such. Oh and also, I don't like playing pets. (example: elementalist for mage or necromancer, I wouldn't really take those.)

So if you guys have any good ideas how I should I build up my characters, please share them and I'll experiment with them. Until then, I'll keep searching for more info and such.

So I'm looking forward to hear from what you guys have to say, and if you do come up with something good, I'll give you a cookie. :3

(P.S: I noticed that the Chloromancer is a type of healing mage. I wouldn't mind having that as part of the build, but I don't want it to be mainly just heals. I want hard damage in there too just to let you guys know. :P)

~GR

DPS warriors are in your face damage as well, and there are ranged DPS clerics.

Just to make your life more difficult and all. :P

You get 4 roles, which means that you can do whatever you want with the souls in 4 different ways.

So you might have a "solo" build and a "pvp" build and a "group" build and a "raid" build . . .

Or instead go with "direct damage" "aoe" "healing" builds . . .

Or whatever else you might enjoy.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    DPS warriors are in your face damage as well, and there are ranged DPS clerics.

Just to make your life more difficult and all. :P

You get 4 roles, which means that you can do whatever you want with the souls in 4 different ways.

So you might have a "solo" build and a "pvp" build and a "group" build and a "raid" build . . .

Or instead go with "direct damage" "aoe" "healing" builds . . .

Or whatever else you might enjoy.
    Yes I know there are countless possibilities out there in terms of build making. But I'm actually looking for is something that's more to my playing style. By narrowing things down a bit, it will also help me what I can use and what I don't want to use for my type of game play.

I recommend Saboteur. It's a rogue, but it plays a lot like mage given that its damage is huge nukes.

It's a pure DPS class with an emphasis on AoE.

It would also give you the opportunity to spec over to bard for some additional group heals (if you want to do a little support healing while remaining dps).

Petwise, you should be aware that it is very helpful to have a pet for soloing. You don't need to specialize in a pet class for this. Just take it and use the pet with zero points invested.

There are lots of choices for DPS classes in rift - among all 4 callings.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Quote Originally Posted by GraveRaven View Post
    Yes I know there are countless possibilities out there in terms of build making. But I'm actually looking for is something that's more to my playing style. By narrowing things down a bit, it will also help me what I can use and what I don't want to use for my type of game play.
    Pyromancer is the obvious mage choice for you.

Assassin/Bladedancer/Nightstalker the obvious rogue ones.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    Pyromancer is the obvious mage choice for you.

Yes, I had a similar feeling about the pyromancer. Maybe maixing it a bit with some of the chloromancer abilities with it

Assassin, blade & night for rogue eh? thanks, I'll look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    I recommend Saboteur. It's a rogue, but it plays a lot like mage given that its damage is huge nukes.

It's a pure DPS class with an emphasis on AoE.

It would also give you the opportunity to spec over to bard for some additional group heals (if you want to do a little support healing while remaining dps).

Petwise, you should be aware that it is very helpful to have a pet for soloing. You don't need to specialize in a pet class for this. Just take it and use the pet with zero points invested.

There are lots of choices for DPS classes in rift - among all 4 callings.
    so bard acts a bit like a healing type eh? I'll have to check that a bit. Yes I know that pets usually are helpful in soloing, but I was never fond of pet systems and such. I got nothing against it, it's just that I'm no into pet stuff. But anyhow, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. :3

Well then throw out chloromancer as part of "your dps build" perhaps have that on a separate healing build on a 2nd or 3rd role. For dps there are so many possibilities from the pyro/warlock/archon trees to be a fire mage with high mana gain and bonus damage from the supplement trees of warlock and archon. Theres not much for dps classes in the mage calling. Most are pets, CC, buffing, or healing. Pyro,warlock, stormcaller are the main dps but get supplemented well from abilities in Elementalist, archon, and if you want to go dominator for some CC, or sped about 8 points in chloro for a instant heal to help just a little but sacrafice your dps.

Rogue probably sounds a lot better if you want to focus on dps, lot of builds there centered around dps more so than mage. Rogue also has a Bard for buffing/healing if you ever wanted to take a break from dps and switch to a second role.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zizos View Post
    Well then throw out chloromancer as part of "your dps build" perhaps have that on a separate healing build on a 2nd or 3rd role. For dps there are so many possibilities from the pyro/warlock/archon trees to be a fire mage with high mana gain and bonus damage from the supplement trees of warlock and archon. Theres not much for dps classes in the mage calling. Most are pets, CC, buffing, or healing. Pyro,warlock, stormcaller are the main dps but get supplemented well from abilities in Elementalist, archon, and if you want to go dominator for some CC, or sped about 8 points in chloro for a instant heal to help just a little but sacrafice your dps.

Rogue probably sounds a lot better if you want to focus on dps, lot of builds there centered around dps more so than mage. Rogue also has a Bard for buffing/healing if you ever wanted to take a break from dps and switch to a second role.
    wow you kind of lost me there.

ok. So what I'm reading here is that your suggesting me to take one of the main dps tree (pyro/warlock/archon) and having it with one of the others for some extra support types?

But like I've stated before, I wouldn't mind loosing a few points of talents just to get some healing points in there But I want to see some of the possible outcomes that I would feel more at ease with.

Rift Master

Melee rogues are mediocre. Marksman for Rogue DPS, that's what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinimas View Post
    Melee rogues are mediocre. Marksman for Rogue DPS, that's what I say.
    B5 brings with it Rogue changes of some description.

What that means remains to be seen.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    I was under the impression from reading all the tooltips that pets have a maximum level if you don't go up very far in a tree. Like would the zero point elem/necro pets be useful for anything past lvl 10? Tooltip says max pet level is 4 or something? please clarify this for me? thanks.

Each rank has a max level for the pet, but training additional ranks gives you a new level cap. There are ranks up to at least level 30, but past that there seems to be conflicting information.

+ Reply to Thread