+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another shot at a Bard Build

Default Another shot at a Bard Build

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...20,5_&lang=eng

How does this look for a Bard Hybrid?
    Last edited by Mugze; 01-19-2011 at 06:52 AM.

just something to consider if they fix rogue energy the combat efficiency may not be needed so you will get 5 extra points to put else where

Plane Touched

I kind of have problems in general with this build and I'll enumerate why.

Generally as a bard you will be wanting to crank out combo points as fast as you can using cadence to either use for coda of restoration or for your damaging combos. Because of the nature of channel spells it really limits how often you will be white-attacking which kind of reduces the effectiveness of combat efficiency.

Second, keeping in mind that your anthems are auras and motifs have a limited range, being in melee combat can be counter-productive at times to ensuring maximum buffage from the anthems/motifs. This can all be accounted for in overall raid positioning but I feel it is a really limiting factor.

I tend to favor supplementing Bard with Ranger, especially if you are not going for 51pt bard, as most people could tell looking from my post history. The reason for this again goes back to positioning and how channels work in this game. I have found from experience that as soon as I am done channeling cadence I automatically get 1 melee auto-attack. If you use ranger or marksman as a second soul (I prefer ranger) it will give you a free ranged attack that essentially hits like a 2h (vs quick 1h attacks that are more DoT than burst). From experience this appears to increase overall damage by a larger margin.

If you want to do a bard/melee hybrid, however, I would suggest a couple alternatives that seem a little better to me in some ways. First there is the bard/assassin build that focuses on crit. You get simple weapon buffs with no point investment which slightly helps your overall damage, and the crit increases and bleed on crit can increase your damage on the few auto-attacks that you get in. Further, the crit really can help with the output of your cadence/heals.

Bard/Riftstalker can do the same kind of thing by using phase shifts to force crit buffs and damage increases as well as lower threat (VERY important as cadence provides threat from both damage AND healing).

In general the 5 points in sabo for extra dex isn't bad because it can increase your attack power enough to make a difference on heal output

Just a couple thoughts.

Shadowlander

Currently at 27 I've been running Bard/Ranger/Saboteur. Its a pretty solid build up to that point but at 30 I've been contemplating some changes.

I'm thinking of adding a bit of defense and I typically run a mostly support style bard so I was thinking about something like this (I'm only creating level 30 builds for now):
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...18,5_&lang=eng

I'm not totally sure about the Bladedancer soul, I might revert back to ranger since you get a bit more out of it but the reason I've chosen it for now was a bit of a boost for Cadence to hit. I was getting alot of misses when I first went to Stonefield because the mobs were a few levels higher.

The heal increaser along with me maining doing healing in groups should make sure I have no problems living if mobs peel off on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coel_ View Post
    just something to consider if they fix rogue energy the combat efficiency may not be needed so you will get 5 extra points to put else where
    Yes there is problems with rogue energy. Rangers/kiters have to run for 3 seconds to get a shot off due to energy starving.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Telaran

What is the range of Cadence in meters or generally speaking if specifics are not known?

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post
    What is the range of Cadence in meters or generally speaking if specifics are not known?
    Detailed info on Cadence: http://rift.zam.com/en/ability.html?...ity=1487673667

If you click on any of the abilities in the soul builder, you'll be able to pull up this specific info.
    Cody "Micajah" Bye
    Director of Content - ZAM
    ZAM RIFT Database
    ZAM's Rift Soul Calculator

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Micajah View Post
    Detailed info on Cadence: http://rift.zam.com/en/ability.html?...ity=1487673667

If you click on any of the abilities in the soul builder, you'll be able to pull up this specific info.
    Thank you for that. I was not able to see range information on the other soul builder i had been looking at.

I guess the next question i have is this. During the course of PvP, with all the various cc, slows, and speed boosts available to the various builds, is 20 meters enough to use on someone who is trying to flee from you, in general? In other words, can a bard soul, as the only soul in a build with any kind of range capability, help a build function against fleeing enemies or when being kited?

Well, seeing as you will have the in combat speed, i doubt anyone will be kiting you, or fleeing from you since you can catch them.

To the OP, I don't see much offense in your build. Why the need for more dex from the other souls, also not sure how much you'll want to get into melee range, most likely you'll want to be kiting others to keep them away from you.

+ Reply to Thread