+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AoE Tanking in Rift?

Default AoE Tanking in Rift?

Hi all,

Somthing I noticed in Beta 4 was that tanks couldn't hold aggro vs. AoEs laid down by support DPS classes, so I was woundering if anyone had ideas on builds that could hold aggro or perhaps the devs have said somthing I missed about the situation?

I remember in a few Rift assaults that if I tried to drop an AoE it would almost always draw half the mobs to me instead of the tanks, which is the reason for this thread.

~ Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Lazorus View Post
    Hi all,

Somthing I noticed in Beta 4 was that tanks couldn't hold aggro vs. AoEs laid down by support DPS classes, so I was woundering if anyone had ideas on builds that could hold aggro or perhaps the devs have said somthing I missed about the situation?

I remember in a few Rift assaults that if I tried to drop an AoE it would almost always draw half the mobs to me instead of the tanks, which is the reason for this thread.

~ Thanx
    I think that's what they're going for in Rift. Generally more coordination to get things done and a few adds may actually mean something. You probably won't see tanks holding agro on large hordes of mobs while aoe rains down on them. The tanks do have access to a fair bit of aoe though, so it may be different at endgame.
    Last edited by phoenixfire82; 01-19-2011 at 06:08 AM.

I'm trying out an AOE tanking build on B5. I'm going to be duoing with a cleric.

I'm shooting for something like http://rift.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl?t=0chAg..EuRz0hk.Vc

Don't know how effective it will be but this is why it's beta. We've always done our best to AOE grind mobs, and I assume the only way to AOE grind is going to be with AOEs =)

I just don't know if I'm going to do enough damage like this.

But, if it works and I can hold aggro.. it's one route you can look at.

Looking at it I think I may drop void or paladin for Rift. Dunno. Guess that'll give me something to think about =)
    Last edited by Ixath; 01-19-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post
    I'm trying out an AOE tanking build on B5. I'm going to be duoing with a cleric.

I'm shooting for something like http://rift.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl?t=0chAg..EuRz0hk.Vc

Don't know how effective it will be but this is why it's beta. We've always done our best to AOE grind mobs, and I assume the only way to AOE grind is going to be with AOEs =)

Looking at it I think I may drop void or paladin for Rift. Dunno. Guess that'll give me something to think about =)
    Yea, I see alot of tanks taking Reaver as a Soul for obveious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post

I noticed you only spent 31 points, you do know you'll have 40 points at 30? Reaver is good for AoE tanking, but Paly and Warlord have some good AoEs as well.

http://www.dragonsyndicate.net/
    "Because Defiants are not waiting for a miracle. We are making one." -MissDoomcookie

playing as Tank.. main soul Pal ofc. never had ANY problem with aoe tanking.. only if someone smart was attacking target before me.. if i making the 1st move i was able to hold aggro without any problems on all mobs around me when others used aoe spells and such.. maybe problems was in Tanks build.. all i can say is.. you never know what build got tank out there.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkall View Post
    I noticed you only spent 31 points, you do know you'll have 40 points at 30? Reaver is good for AoE tanking, but Paly and Warlord have some good AoEs as well.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how many points you have for both trees (30/11?) at 30.. but this is a new char, so I'm pretty sure I won't get high enough to make use of the build I posted.

I looked at it again and think the best way to maximize dps with the reaver would be http://rift.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl?t=0cLAg.xhM.Euozbhk which is throwing some points in Riftblade instead of void. This gives you 21% crit damage on non physical attacks (a lot of reavers are death based insta cast dots) and also gives Avatar of the Wind (5% dodge 10% movement speed).

The 21% bonus damage is fairly useful since you heal off one of your AOEs.

I didn't have too many problems with AoE agro with this build

Basically Paladin / Reaver with either void knight / warlord depending on which 0 point skill i needed. the reaver's dot's with plague bringer to transfer them to multiple targets plus scales of justice (26 point paladin aoe ability) did a pretty good job against AoE champions, Necro's and Pyros .

Would probable add this for the level 30 verision next beta.
    Last edited by Ciowyn; 01-19-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

In addition to holding aggro with AOEs, have any of you experimented with an AOE based dps build using the warrior?

That's my main goal.

Speaking of Taunts, and sorry for derailing, but: I never played a warrior to the point of pvping. Do taunts do anything at all in pvp?
    Kandra, DawN's Level 50 Defiant Nurse in Chain (Blightweald)
    Master Runecrafter / Master Outfitter / Master Butcher

Champion

I had no issues holding 3/4(15+ mobs) invasions simultaneously as a Reaver.

The problem is people seem to all want to spec for Paladin.
    Last edited by Larrie; 01-19-2011 at 07:47 AM.

My name is Larrie. I do not like certain people.
    Co-Leader of <Insert Coin>

Quote Originally Posted by Larrie View Post
    I had no issues holding 3/4(15+ mobs) invasions simultaneously as a Reaver.

The problem is people seem to all want to spec for Paladin.
    That is very good to hear. That is my goal =)

Larrie, I seem to found the best build with using Paladin and Reaver. They both got some nice abilities that help out.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Telaran

Reaver/Voidknight pair for aoe tanking.

Thats odd...I'm not sure what the tanks were speced as in the times I was Rift running, but I did my double AoE with Grave Rot + Devouring Shadows then channeled Mortality and they always seemed to hate me. ..

Maybe I should just slow down the AoE damage a bit.
    Last edited by Lazorus; 01-19-2011 at 06:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast