+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Void Knight Soul

Default The Void Knight Soul

I'm just wondering if anyone who has played a Void Knight in one of the betas could give me a little info on the class. I would like to know how well it tanks, and is there any early class combinations that seem to work well with it? Is it limited in weapons and armor selection? Are magical mobs too rare to justify it as a main tank combination?

Since the NDA was lifted I didn't think it would hurt to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by otherworldly View Post
    Are magical mobs too rare to justify it as a main tank combination?
    I havn't tried the Void Knight yet, but I do know you face enough magic casting mobs to make the Void Knight usefull.
    I can imagine it's quite comfortable in PvP as well.

Crap, I put in the wrong forum. I meant to put it in class discussion.

gotta be worth blending into any build where you wanna kill casters in PVP, tanks that can nerf spells always helpful in a group

Quote Originally Posted by otherworldly View Post
    Crap, I put in the wrong forum. I meant to put it in class discussion.
    Signal a moderator (triangle icon) and ask your thread to be moved, should be no problem.

As for the Void Knight, some personal opinion from me:

I can see the VK as a niche tank in PvE endgame, where encounters with mana users are sufficiently too hard for the other defensive souls to tank reliably. But including beta4 I have not seen any encounter with mana users where a Paladin (mostly, and often a Reaver also) couldn't do as well, if not better. At PvE endgame I do not see a VK tank encounters which consist primarily of non-mana users.

In PvP, when specced correctly, the VK is to be considered the anti-magic soul of choice of the Warrior calling. Where Rogues use stealth and CC to take out Mages and Clerics; a VK uses silences, mana drains and pull/charge abilities. And while effective at that, the VK is vulnerable to other Warriors and Rogues, or when caught out by a Mage/DPS Cleric at max range.

As for soul combinations. A lot will work, depending on your play style. So this is purely a preference choice and something you will just have to find out for yourself. On the other hand, the VK does make an (almost too) excellent choice as a second soul for most of the other Warrior souls. With just a few points spent you get access to the pacts system and a few abilities that make good use of this.

There is no limitation on the use of armour and weapons, as long as the equipment is suitable for a Warrior to wear.

Personally I do like the VK very much. But the soul does have its limitations. When fighting non-mana using mobs you need to work harder to make the soul work, which does make leveling with the VK as your main soul a bit more of a pain. In the early levels you will not see much of a difference in your ability to take on mana users when compared to the other souls. Later on (25+) this will improve, but then the deficiency in your ability to take on the other kind of mobs also grows. But if you really like the idea of the VK, with Rifts flexible soul system there is no reason not to at least try it...
    Last edited by GhundiPI; 01-19-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks, GhundiPI that's the type of info. I was looking for.

I was thinking about going Void knight/Reaver/Warlord. If I spec. mostly Reaver then some of Void knight and Warlord for PVE, I should still be viable as a tank. I can also use void knight in a PVP build.

The class seems a little to niche to do a 51 point build, at least thats the feeling I'm getting.
    Last edited by otherworldly; 01-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.

My build on live will very likely be Paragon/VK/Riftblade, and VK will get a lot of points. It has other methods of generating Pacts other than magical attacks, and you get healed every time you gain them, plus your strength, endurance, and armour all increase by 50% after gaining ten pacts. Quite beastly, really.
    Alkonost D. Alphard
    Colonel of 72nd Troll Interdiction Regiment
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

When I started my fumble around warrior in the last beta, I was looking at the soul trees and I also wondered what general good VK would serve. It is a very specific soul that is very good at a specific thing, but outside of that, it looks handicapped.

I don't know, I didn't play warrior long enough to make a solid opinion.
    Gestalt - Dayblind <PvP> - Defiant

Well, here's the VK/Ch build I'm likely going with at release. [link]

Designed primarily for sheer dps and magic user killing. Jump in the back line at a raid, use Power Sink, get tons of pacts, and have at it... ;)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Raidus View Post
    Well, here's the VK/Ch build I'm likely going with at release. [link]

Designed primarily for sheer dps and magic user killing. Jump in the back line at a raid, use Power Sink, get tons of pacts, and have at it... ;)
    Where's your 3rd soul? Don't neglect the freebies of a 3rd soul!

Still haven't decided. Might just throw in BM for the pet :P Plus, there's not really any spare points in that build to actually add to a 3rd, so it'd practically have to be one useful at 0.
    Last edited by Raidus; 01-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Raidus View Post
    Still haven't decided. Might just throw in BM for the pet :P
    Lol, funny... that was my first thought. I mean a free never ending intelligent DoT as long as he doesn't die.

And it can act as a distraction if they think I specced into BM while they kill the pet, and I kill them instead ;3
    Last edited by Raidus; 01-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread