+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apart from Bard, which rogue soul has the most support?

Default Apart from Bard, which rogue soul has the most support?

Hi, I'd like to make a support role based off of the bard, but since I am rubbish at damage dealing, I'd rather go for full support/CC/debuffs/buffs. Which souls would go best with the bard I want to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Azendi View Post
    Hi, I'd like to make a support role based off of the bard, but since I am rubbish at damage dealing, I'd rather go for full support/CC/debuffs/buffs. Which souls would go best with the bard I want to play?
    I personally think that the ranged classes go pretty well with the bard who wants to be more of a support player. Have a look at the Saboteur, Marksman and Ranger trees to see what strikes your fancy. (There's plenty of soul calculators running around now.)
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

The Saboteur has some nice skills (charges) which has different effects on the target, two in particular (the 18 point and 26 point root skills) decreases armor of the target/increases damage taken by the target. They also have traps which can root the target.

As for the 3rd soul, I really have no idea to be honest.
    In game characters in beta: Warskel (Mathosian Warrior), Rathu (High Elf Mage), Mairerit (High Elf Cleric), Adrivia (Mathosian Rogue)

If you're planning on being a 51 point Bard, you're probably looking at picking up more passives from your other 2 souls than actives, as you probably wont have much space to fit any more abilities.

If you enjoy the Support-style classes, may i also say that the Warlord from the warrior calling and the Archon from the mage calling specialize in support and may be worth a look? *shrug*
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Soulwalker

Default reverse ankle

Im looking at it the other way arround Im rolling a nightblade/bard as it to me looks like the Nightblade is the rouge class bennefitting the most from the bard. But as the game is still in the making and we havnt seen much of the gear content yet who is realy to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippotroyani View Post
    Im looking at it the other way arround Im rolling a nightblade/bard as it to me looks like the Nightblade is the rouge class bennefitting the most from the bard. But as the game is still in the making and we havnt seen much of the gear content yet who is realy to say?
    Well assuming the OP likes to be support, the 51 point Bard talent is THE reason to go bard.

I was actually looking at the riftstalker, lots of defencive abilities...

There are some extra debuffs and things in Nightblade though, you are right, they would compliment a bard nicely. And the addition of the Nightblade would totally give a classic D&D arcane spellcasting aesthetic ^_^

Personally, i think i would do something like...
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...nts=0&lang=eng

Some nice elementally, arcaney things from Nightblade and the addition of Riftstalker for the bamf! And i like that bonus damage done to target debuff the nightblade can give with talents, and a CC that is kinda in the same vein as the World of Warcraft Sap ability.

Could even stay at range using Firey Spike and Flame thrust for a ranged, firebally feel, using twilight force to kite things that try to om nom you
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 05:10 AM.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Ascendant

I'd say Nightblade also has some pretty respectable support abilities via it's debuffs and CC.

Hellfire Blades + Melted Skin -5% mitigation
    Dark Malady -20% mitigatiin
    Ebon Terror 2 second stun
    Dark Containment 15 second mezz
    Lost Hope 15 second ranged incapacitate
    Fell Blades reduces healing by 50%

Soulwalker

Did anyone play bard from Vanguard? I was wondering if bard from rift is anything the same? The Bard class from Vanguard was probably my favorite class that I've played from any mmo. Guess I am wondering are you able to 'play' songs and be a melee type class?

Shadowlander

I have made you your support build.

Based off a 51Point Bard, with added 15 in Ranger + basics of Saboteur.
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...18,5_&lang=eng

Reasoning: Even if you suck at dps, you need to learn to do it better. A lot of what a bard does, is the same rotation say a marksman would use but instead of dps it heals and buffs. BUT since you say you have troubles, and party's do look for still a steady flow of dps from a bard there are points into the ranger spec. You can either use the tanking pet to quickly OT a mob that has run away from the tank, or use the dps pet on boss fights. It is simply added dps that does not require too much effort on your part. Also- [Crippling Shot] and [Adhesive Bomb] are used to slow mobs that are running away from the tank, or at you personally. You will find between your heals and the dps you should be doing that you will pull aggro from lesser tanks. So talents in Ranger to increase health and damage reduction go a long way.

Also, [Piercing Shot] reduces target armor by 15% which is quite a lot of help to the tank to keep aggro, as he/she is able to do more damage. While this helps everyone, putting it on as soon as you can early in the fight will overall benefit tanks the most and keep your party moving smoothly.

I hope this helps. I'll watch this post if you have questions.
    Last edited by Guivre; 01-19-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Thank you everyone! I'll definitely take all of your suggestions into account when I pick, I think I'll go for a rogue main and a cleric alt, but the bard is sooo attractive. I played a minstrel in LOTRO, thought it was lame at the time but there's a certain charm to people who choose a guitar or w/e over a sword on a battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by traun View Post
    Did anyone play bard from Vanguard? I was wondering if bard from rift is anything the same? The Bard class from Vanguard was probably my favorite class that I've played from any mmo. Guess I am wondering are you able to 'play' songs and be a melee type class?
    That Bard concept was insanely customized and unique. Cool, but something I've seen in any other game. What you will find in the Rift souls is an ability to customize your toon instead of the songs. So you can take enough Bard to add specific bonuses and then be a melee powerhouse, a range powerhuose, even a tank, or a mixture. Look at the souls the way we did the songs as a Bard in Vanguard. =)
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Default Semms weird to be playing a Rogue anyway

If you really want to be support you probably dont want to be going for Rogue. Even tough the Bard is helpfull to have, the best heals and buffs you can offer is going with the Cleric calling, Ijs

All eight of the cleric souls provide a total of five useful utility skills for a raid, like meaningful debuffs or 'real' buffs. And they are not terribly strong like +5% incoming damage single target debuff that is not even up all the time. A bard provides like 12 buffs all of which are important. Archonts provide like 6 raid buffs and 6 debuffs, and beastmasters provide about the same amount of group buffs and some 2-3 solid debuffs. By solid I mean a 25% outgoing damage debuff which is up on the mob all the time compared to clerics...erm...clerics dont even have anything comarable. Warlords and reavers have a crap-load of useful buffs and debuffs too.

In the end, healing != support. Clerics provide ZERO support and/or utility for the group/raid outside of the healing they do. You ALWAYS want to go with a minimal number of clerics in your raid, I'd go with 4 clerics for the entire raid. Dps groups get their chloromancers who can, unlike clerics, have a useful splash spec.
    Last edited by Seidon; 01-19-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Soulwalker

If you do decide to go Bard I have a 51 pt build I will be using myself.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...:saboteur.5500

Nightblade gives you the energy from finishers which is AMAZING, and the Saboteur gives you the 15 dex and extra aoe help for groups if needed.

You could also put 8 points into Nightblade if you want the Incapacitate in which you can put 3 into the extra damage to finishers for those less heal intensive phases.

31 Nightblade/ 17 Blade Dancer/ 18 Rift Stalker

I hope the link works
    http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc....R.qfzx.E0t0z0z

Reload page if it doesn't.
    Last edited by Egregore; 01-19-2011 at 07:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast