+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The latest patch creates my 3 souls? I no longer get to choose like before :(

You can change any soul with 0 points in it. This is the exact same functionality as before, except;

1. You start off as owning all 8 souls
    2. You are shown some basic archetypes
    3. New players are helped to spec up smartly
    4. You get more choices right at the start

The Purposes are suggestions. They are not law. Please make a habit of reading the Patch Notes carefully
    (ergo, don't run to the forums without an understanding of what you're getting upset about because you only read as far as "preset builds").
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post

Honestly the worst thing a new player can get in their head is that those pre-set specs are worth using. Lets leave aside the fact that even within those garbage soul specs they suggest you use completely mindless and irrelevant abilities to the spec. That system should be nixed for the sake of new players not being stunted by being sold a lie that "this is a good spec to use". You'd be better off blindly specing any soul into 51/max points than using those terrible pre-set specs.
    Last edited by Violacea; 02-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Honestly the worst thing a new player can get in their head is that those pre-set specs are worth using. Lets leave aside the fact that even within those garbage soul specs they suggest you use completely mindless and irrelevant abilities to the spec. That system should be nixed for the sake of new players not being stunted by being sold a lie that "this is a good spec to use". You'd be better off blindly specing any soul into 51/max points than using those terrible pre-set specs.
    The specs might not be optimal but they are functional for new player. What really bothers me though is how can we expect Trion to balance the game if they don't even know what the best specs are?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Those preset specs are all fine as-is for leveling. And that's all they need to be. Anyone needing optimal specs to raid can research and find out what to use easily enough once they've assimilated the rest of the game.

Rift Disciple

I'm often giving out help in the game, and people sometimes ask me how I know stuff.

I READ.

When a window pops up in the game, do not reflexively press the close button. Give the contents at least a quick scan with your eyes.

It will not make you go blind, or hurt your eyes, or even slow you down. In fact, you will level faster, and gain significant advantages over non-readers.

I've watched so many people play MMOs who, when a window pops up, are just like "get that thing out of my face, I'm trying to play!" Yes. I feel it too. But it's wrong, sorry.

You know those Miyamoto designed Nintendo games that don't let you skip dialog? That spell it out, one word at a time, with the key concepts highlighted in red? There's a reason he made them like that.

OK, rant over. I'll go back to being nice and helpful.
    Last edited by rptb1; 03-06-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Punctuation

I wish they'd come to my house and beat it into me, but I guess that would cost a lot extra.
    Formerly Scarecrowe... now Skullcluck. I know, I need to L2P, thanks. Save your breath.
    If you want a healer so bad why don't you roll one up?

tau
    Rift Chaser

Just in case OP missed it amongst all the mocking, this is what you need to do ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    You can change any soul with 0 points in it. This is the exact same functionality as before, except;

1. You start off as owning all 8 souls
    4. You get more choices right at the start

The Purposes are suggestions. They are not law. Please make a habit of reading the Patch Notes carefully
    (ergo, don't run to the forums without an understanding of what you're getting upset about because you only read as far as "preset builds").
    3 pages and only 1 post to help the OP. GG rift community.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bizar View Post
    The specs might not be optimal but they are functional for new player. What really bothers me though is how can we expect Trion to balance the game if they don't even know what the best specs are?
    They are not meant to be the best specs. They are meant to be a stepping stone until new players become more comfortable with the system.

I have tried out quite a few of them now on levelling characters and level 50 characters and while they are not what I would choose myself they are functional specs that a perfectly usable for the new player.

Trion should not be handing out the best specs and they don't, if you want those specs do your homework, practice, try stuff out and figure it out.

OR visit the website of someone who has done it for you the information is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizar View Post
    "Best"?

The word "best" has a key flaw: People think it's an absolute, but actually it depends on context. The "best" spec for well-geared raid DPS may not be the "best" spec for mediocre-gear soloing.

The specs Trion picked have the interesting trait that if you play them, and follow their instructions, you can complete quests and have fun. They may not be doing as much damage as some more specialized spec, but you know what? That's fine. They don't have to. They are easy to play and work decently.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    "Best"?

The word "best" has a key flaw: People think it's an absolute, but actually it depends on context. The "best" spec for well-geared raid DPS may not be the "best" spec for mediocre-gear soloing.

The specs Trion picked have the interesting trait that if you play them, and follow their instructions, you can complete quests and have fun. They may not be doing as much damage as some more specialized spec, but you know what? That's fine. They don't have to. They are easy to play and work decently.
    Fair point. I made the potentially incorrect assumption that Trion picked those specs out of ignorance rather than intent. No spec is optimal for every situation like you say and I do understand that.

I agree that they are functional, and they serve the purpose intended by Trion. They are just a method of easing new players into the game and demonstrate some of the tools that their class has available. Hopefully it isn't misleading for new players.

General of Telara SanguineDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shazzamcrucia View Post
    if i had to guess, you have a crunchy cheeto stuck in your left nostril.
    o m m f g r o f l m m a o ! ! ! !
    Last edited by SanguineDeath; 03-13-2012 at 12:50 PM.

General of Telara SanguineDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glamour View Post
    They are not meant to be the best specs. They are meant to be a stepping stone until new players become more comfortable with the system.

I have tried out quite a few of them now on levelling characters and level 50 characters and while they are not what I would choose myself they are functional specs that a perfectly usable for the new player.

Trion should not be handing out the best specs and they don't, if you want those specs do your homework, practice, try stuff out and figure it out.

OR visit the website of someone who has done it for you the information is out there.
    I'm not even going to mention how much gold/plat I've spent on all of my toons changing soul spec, tweaking, and just changing back and forth as I like variety and trying new things. That's the great thing about these soul trees. One spec might be great for me but not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SanguineDeath View Post
    I'm not even going to mention how much gold/plat I've spent on all of my toons changing soul spec, tweaking, and just changing back and forth as I like variety and trying new things. That's the great thing about these soul trees. One spec might be great for me but not for you.
    The soul system is *still* my favorite part of the game. No matter how much the naysayers put it down as "you still have to roll fotm", they're simply wrong. You can have an assload of fun experimenting, and often times your mad scientist creations work just as you'd like for the situations you concocted them for.

My flash-of-steel sabdancer PvP build was completely unorthodox, but holy hell was it fun and massive damage. Just about every patch brings out new twists on the trees, and I love it.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2