+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleric classes - overview and comparisons of each

Default Cleric class resources - overview and comparisons of each

Now that a lot of the cleric trees have been revieled I thought it would be helpful to make a post with a short overview of each sub-class so that people could get a general idea about the strengths/weaknesses of each one. Sort of a snapshot. I have trouble tabbing through and remembering the different ones (for some reason I keep getting justicar and inquisitor mixed up), so this might be a good place to discuss the merits of each, and the sweetest multi-soul setups we can come up with.

Inquisitor – The inquisitor is actually set up more like a ranged spell caster and damage over time spell caster than a typical cleric. They have a number of offensive life and death based ‘bolt’ abilities, and a number of strong buffs that increase resistances, increase mana regeneration, manages threat, and causes fear/confusion in their enemies. There are few heals available to this class and no in/out of combat resurrects. This class will likely play like a crowd control/caster.

Justicar – This class sound very cool and is the most unique of the healers. They place spells/buffs called convictions on themselves or allies (some built up through melee attacks) that have a stacking effect (move convictions = stronger buff). They then use skills called Doctrines that remove the convictions to heal the party. The more convictions cashed in, the stronger the effect of the heal. In addition, they have some direct heals as well as 2 in combat resurrects, a weaker one that brings an ally back with 20% health, and a stronger one that brings an ally back with 100% health. I have a feeling the Justicar will be a ‘thinking mans’ class, as you need to evaluate when/who to put convictions on, and best time to cash them in. They will need to be proactive instead of reactive.

Purifier – The purifier mixes single target healing, shields that absorb damage, and some ranged casting. Their healing is quite potent, and as far as instant heals may only be behind the sentinel. Many of their heals also create a shield around either the caster or target that can soak up a large amount of damage. They can remove status effects and have an out of combat resurrect. While a sentinel may have larger heals overall, the purifiers shields likely prevent large amounts of damage from even reaching the target. For their capstone ability, if a target is healed beyond 100% of their life, the excess is given to all party members within 5m.

Sentinel – The sentinel is the most classical cleric of the group. They have a number of rapid cast single target and group heals, and have a number of buffs that increase both armor and health. They also have a fair number of ranged spell based attacks that seem to do a reasonable amount of damage, as well as some spells that mitigate damage to the caster. They seem to be a strong defensive healer and have an in/out of combat resurrect.

Shaman – This is a melee damage (staves and two handed maces) class that has a number of very potent buffs. Many of their skills increase melee attack damage and critical magnitude, and shamans have a number of single target and area effect melee abilities. Their buffs seem to be unmatched, enhancing everything including stats, resistances, mana regeneration, armor, and stealth detection, although they lack heals and any resurrects. In gameplay this class will probably buff the party members before fights and spend much of the time engaged in melee using their formidable 2h attacks.

Warden – This is a water based cleric that centers around group wide heals over time, and extremely potent ones at that! They have a large number of HoTs available, and also have the ability to surround targets with 3 floating water orbs. Each time the character takes damage one of the orbs will burst and heal all targets in the vicinity. They have two incredibly high HoTs for the whole group (1 for around 2400 life over 8 seconds) and in combat have a number of water based attack spells they can use from range. On the downside, the warden lacks a number of quick cast heals so they will have to plan ahead, and they also lack any in/out of combat resurrects.

There are to additional classes that haven't had their skill trees published as of yet, those are:

Cabalist - this is a priest that draws power from the spirits of Telara and not from the gods. The mechanics we know so far are that the Cabalist can mark targets with 'sigils'. When conditions are met for the target (such as defeat, damage, etc) the sigil is removed and an effect happens, such as damage all nearby enemies. Its not known whether you can also place defensive sigils on allies and trigger them through healing etc. Much thanks to Delith for the information (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...l=1#post168534).

Druid - we know this is the pet class for the clerics (with a fairy pet being the only one revealed so far), but the ability list is still unknown.
    Last edited by Butr0sButr0s; 11-14-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Behold the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the earth.

I'd have to wait to see the others, but currently I'm going sentinel for sure as 1, from the mix maybe a shaman splash for buffs/regen they they are listed as carrying, and possibly purifier to add to healing with the wards, or warden to have some hot's to cast, I dont really know at this point tho. So many possibilities so few soul slots =)

The healing in Rift really does look exciting for a change, being able to mix and match to a particular playstyle is gonna be fun.

Now for the real choice, do I wanna heal or Tank, both sound so fun from the descriptions of the souls so far!

edit: Usually I'm the stand back and watch type when healing, not really focusing on getting in the mix, might end up running Sentinel , Warden, Purifier, only time will tell

Druid + Shaman + Warden for me from what i've seen so far. They seem to be the "earthiest" options for me.

Hmmm, I love damage absorption spells from my time playing a Discipline Priest in WoW. I was leaning towards playing a healer, purifier sounds like good times. Any info about if they have good buffs as well?
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Purfiers buff both wisdom and life, and have a skill which reduce threat. So there's a few buffs in there but Shamans will take the cake for quality and quantity.
    Last edited by Butr0sButr0s; 09-03-2010 at 07:29 AM.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Justicar. I love mixing DPSing with Grp Heals. ^^ Just not sure what to add to it. Inquisitor (since I would have to start with that anyway) for the range and CC? Or Shaman for the boost to Melee DPS, and the Buffs?
    Intel i5-650 (OCed to 3.61GHz) RAM: 8Gb Kingston VID: Nvidia GTX 460 DDR5 1G x2 (SLI) Win 7-64
    FEAR IS THE PATH TO THE VIGIL. FEAR LEADS TO ANGER. ANGER LEADS TO HATE.
    HATE LEADS TO THE GUARDIANS...

Shadowlander

Shamans sound really awesome, but I do like the sentinels too. The warden intrigues me the most out of the group. Seems like the wardens have the lushest, juiciest heals. Gotta love that! The overheal spill over seems really cool too.

Good stuff - thanks for putting this together. Purifier/Inquisitor seems to fit me best so far. I like the damage mitigation stuff in the Purifier line plus some of the CC from the Inquisitor.

So I'm thinking a good group build would be a (Insert DPS Warrior calling here), an Inquisitor(DPS), Shaman(DPS + DPS buffs), Purifier(Heals + Utility), Justicar(DPS + Utility). Who needs DPS classes eh? Cleric group ftw!
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Quote Originally Posted by Ware View Post
    Good stuff - thanks for putting this together. Purifier/Inquisitor seems to fit me best so far. I like the damage mitigation stuff in the Purifier line plus some of the CC from the Inquisitor.
    No problem - if more classes get released for other callings I'll try to do the same. I'm interested to see if there is a really specialized CC class available. The inquisitor is close but I'm wondering if there will be another, and my guess is if so it will fall under the mage line and not cleric.

Soulwalker

Warden looks really promising, with HoT you actually have to pay attention, should make things more interesting. Without the resurrects you are either good or rolling a new toon.

I really am looking forward to healing in this game. Thanks for putting this up!

I'm thinking i'll probably go warden/sentinel or sentinel/purifier but will definitely have to play around with the justicar.

My sig has most of my intentions for the classes at the moment.

I see myself being a very well rounded healing with strong pure healing ability. I am very much looking forward to the Melee healer in a way though. My second build will most likely be a solo build for doing my own thing when the groups aren't around. I would love to see a mixture of melee healing, melee combos, HoT, and buffs applied to the second build.

Justicar/Warden/Sentinel is my main calling now though. Based on description and what I've Youtubed the spec'ing path I've thought up incorporates everything a group needs with the support and constant fun of twisting that I've always loved about healing. I didn't love the Shaman idea yet but not seeing them in action is a problem. Perhaps the other clerical classes will offer more in terms of heavy duty defense/offense but again who knows. I would love to see a two-handed sword wielder cleric called maybe a Priest or a Oracle or something. I would enjoy the idea that using the 2 Hander the higher the dmg done the better the healing capability of other souls classes almost like a cleric class that's whole purpose is to power the other classes/callings.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Shamans sound really awesome

Reading the abilities so far on the healing classes I like the sound of the Warden. Water damage and abilities make a nice change from the usual types (Squirtle). The class seems proactive as opposed to reactive in healing, which may make it a little bit of a liability as a main healer, but great for mitigation/2nd healer.

I am going to wait for more news though, so much is still unknown and up in the air that I a trying to keep my mind grounded until I know everything (nothing like being let down by your own imagination running awry).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast