+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for others messing with Chloro builds

Soulwalker

Default Question for others messing with Chloro builds

Here's a question:

For leveling to 50, has anyone run Necromancer or thought of running Necromancer as the mana monkey to Chloromancer?

I've played Chloro quite a bit over the last beta's but have been disappointed at the damage output compared to the damage taken. Thus the obvious epiphany when I read someone come up with the brilliant idea to use a pet tank. Why I didn't think of this I don't know but I didn't. However I am unconvinced that using a Chloro/Archon/(Elementalist)or(Warlock) will be very dungeon crawling group friendly without a 0 point Dominator “Transmogrify” possibility.

What I am thinking now is: Chloromancer/Necromancer/Dominator
    Healing/Damage from Chloro
    Mana provisions/Tanky pet from Necromancer either in the from:
    ---13point for Greater Consumption
    ---8point Reclaim Power (at max would free up to 7 points to take Mental Discipline if CC resists become a thing but I don't expect to run a single pet tank at 50 anyway)
    Bunnying from Dominator

Any thoughts?

Prophet of Telara

Yes, Necro is a great support to Chloro for the mana regain. If you're really wanting to have Dom as your 3rd soul for the squirrel, then you can indeed make it work. Many builds I've seen tend to stop at 11 pts in Necro, so that you have Reclaim Power and Consumption (without improvements). That should be enough to support your Chloro with plenty of mana. You'll heal the HP loss from Reclaim Power easily enough from your normal Chloro duties.

It's a nice option.

X

OR! OR! i know! oh, i know!

Use Chloro/Archon/Ele or Necro (ele gives a wonderful regen tool too, Revitalise)..Though a zero-point Archon could be a waste of a soul...

The problem with necro over ele is that hardly any of the necro talents really synergise with chloro..it's sad..necro is kinda selfish.

THEN use a Chloro/Archon/Dom for in groups! though you MAY need more regen than just the Archon's Exhilaration (if you go that far), i hear Chloro is super mana inefficient.

The Warlock also has Sacrifice Life: Mana...just something to think about!

Check me out! i can solo!
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...16,5_&lang=eng

Oh! but i can group!
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...17,5_&lang=eng

Oh, but look at me! i can group AND i have in combat mana tools!
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...17,5_&lang=eng

And *I* give that sweet dichotomy between life and death...the...CHLORLOCKOMANCER!
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...16,5_&lang=eng

That last one i'm really not sure about..guess we'll have to try something like it come Beta5!
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

It all depends on whether you going to push for that huge 51 pt AoE in the chloro tree. 18 pts in domi will give you improved mana wrench which is nice.

You need to remember that the pets only carry you up to 30. After that you need to get to around 20ish pts in the tree for the 'Greater' pet. So unless your looking to heavily invest its a big waste of time.

I too am a bit concerned about mana with my future chloro but i think i might end up pushing for wrench.
    Roasty L50 T3 Mage Seastone -Awakening-

1st build i linked is chloro with enough in ele to have the greater pets, and the out-of-combat regen via revitalise, that fixes everything!

Of course you can go nuts in groups when you dont need a pet soul for survivability and just need something for in combat regen; Sacrifice Life: mana, Improved Grounding, Mental Flare + Leeching Flames + Exhilaration, Recharge + Imp. Recharge, Mana Wrench + Imp Mana Wrench...the options are endless!
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.

if all you want is mana, 6 points in warlock gives you the best mana regen skill in the game. you'll never be anything but full mana and never need anything but that one skill.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

yeah, for a Chloro 6 points in Lock gets you unlimited mana in a group.8 points adds "Reconstruct" I would use that all the time too.

I can see wanting to sacrifice your pet's life instead of your own though. But if I'm grouped the extra points are better served in the Lock's chance for instant cast proc "lingering pain" A 10% chance per spell really speeds up rotation. Biggest issue with that is its tough to tell when the proc is up. Would be nice if there was a symbol that popped near the tool bar.
    Last edited by Solmane; 01-19-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies fellas,
    I have, until this point, been using warlock for mana regen but have not been particularly pleased which has resulted in my interest elsewhere and this post. While I think warlock is a very cheap way to go for mana and i realize the versatility of running different souls for different purposes I am hesitant to rely too strongly on that. The criteria, subject to change, for me are then that Chloro be a fully fledged and capable main healer, Dominator be in the build for squirreling support, and then that I have a pet for tanking and mana regen.

Packing all those requirements into one build removes Warlock and, due to inadequate points for a high level pet, Dominator. Additionally, although many have said that Elementalist is great I am not a fan of Revitalize as the guild I run with chain pulls like a mother. That leaves Archon, Pyromancer, Stormcaller, and Necromancer.
    Archon= No. No pet, no mana regen (really nice healing buffs but nix'd due to the aformentioned)
    Pyromancer =No. No pet, interesting mana regen option through at 13 points in.
    Stormcaller= No. No pet, not enough mana regen I think from Recharge although... might be worth an experiment.
    Necromancer= Maybe? Yes to the pet, yes to the mana regen

-Note: the thing that actually annoys me about Warlock Sac:Life is how frequently I have to do it to keep my mana up and how at the wrong moment that can/could really suck if I take a aoe or get jumped(pvp).

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...16,5_&lang=eng

The above build is where I currently am although I imagine changes will happen at max level due to a lessening need for a pet? Maybe? Donno yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    if all you want is mana, 6 points in warlock gives you the best mana regen skill in the game. you'll never be anything but full mana and never need anything but that one skill.
    Yes lock is good when it comes to mana regen.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Personally i feel the Warlock gets suggested as the answer to everything, CC, good early synergies, a decent self-heal and a good mana regen tool...

To the point where it's starting to feel cheap and unimaginative.

You could get your mana regen from any number of places that add OTHER advantages to your build as well as a flavour that won't be the standard boring x/warlock/dominator.

/end rant

Soulwalker

Reclaim Power: Instant
    Drain 10% of casters health from pet and restores 10% of casters max mana.

Consumption: Instant. 5sec CD.
    Removes a single buff effect from target and returns 5% of mage's max mana.

Imp. Consumption
    Increases Consumption mana return to 10% with 1 pt and 15% with 2 points

Feign Death: Channeled. 30sec CD.
    Aggro drop, de-target (pvp?)

Lich Form: 4sec cast
    slowly drains health in return for a 20% mana regen buff, a 10% damage buff, and a pet damage buff by 33%.

While obviously these spells require an investment in Necromancer much more severely than an 8pt Warlock It would appear to me that the bonus's are significantly stronger. I do not know for sure if Consumption can happen on targets that do not have a buff but supposing they can 15% max mana back every 5sec is more than sufficient all by itself. Add the fact that Reclaim Power doesn't sacrifice your own life and put you at risk. Add the opportunity for boosted damage (and thus your healing power) via 31pt Lich Form... I am excited.

Prophet of Telara

@OP: Based on your requirements, your Chloro/Necro/0 Dom build looks excellent. I'd only offer one suggestion. From testing done in last beta, it looks like Life based DoTs only fire Lifegiving Veil on the first tick, for a 40% heal. That makes the Nature's Corrosion buff, which adds a DoT to Vile Spores and Ruin, just a bit less good than you might have thought.... though obviously you get more damage anyway. You might want to go for Raised in Nature instead, as a different option? Or 3 in Circle of Life? I would go either way on it to be honest.

To the general question of 'why warlock' though - it's not just a cheap mana regain option. It's also 25% extra charge gained from every spell. For a charge hungry class like Chloro or Pyro, that's a big deal. Those 6 points in Warlock also deliver a decent, early reactive Armour buff. For Chloro primary healing builds, 6 points in Warlock for both good Mana regain and good Charge regain + benefits is close to being a no-brainer.

Those 6 warlock points deliver a lot of bang for very little buck... that's why it's a commonly used 3rd soul option.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-19-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Italic View Post
    Here's a question:

For leveling to 50, has anyone run Necromancer or thought of running Necromancer as the mana monkey to Chloromancer?

I've played Chloro quite a bit over the last beta's but have been disappointed at the damage output compared to the damage taken. Thus the obvious epiphany when I read someone come up with the brilliant idea to use a pet tank. Why I didn't think of this I don't know but I didn't. However I am unconvinced that using a Chloro/Archon/(Elementalist)or(Warlock) will be very dungeon crawling group friendly without a 0 point Dominator “Transmogrify” possibility.
    I didn't feel like reading through all the other posts so sorry if this has been mentioned but remember, you get 4 roles (the first three of which I would say are pretty cheap and I bet even the fourth one will be at end game). So really, you could have a solo build, a chloro build for groups, dps/cc or whatever else build for groups and still have a role left for pvp.

I'm planning on maining a cleric healer and will probably have a solo build, two pure healing builds and a dps/minor heals or tank build.
    Last edited by insainbassist; 01-19-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Warlock probably is better though for mana. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is intended but I run Chloro/Lock and have Ele with 0 points in it for the pet. So I solo with it and in dungeons it is extra dps unless we need Transmorgify and since there was 0 points in it, I don't need to use a Role to have CC, just ditch the pet before pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    @OP: Based on your requirements, your Chloro/Necro/0 Dom build looks excellent. I'd only offer one suggestion. From testing done in last beta, it looks like Life based DoTs only fire Lifegiving Veil on the first tick, for a 40% heal. That makes the Nature's Corrosion buff, which adds a DoT to Vile Spores and Ruin, just a bit less good than you might have thought.... though obviously you get more damage anyway. You might want to go for Raised in Nature instead, as a different option? Or 3 in Circle of Life? I would go either way on it to be honest.

To the general question of 'why warlock' though - it's not just a cheap mana regain option. It's also 25% extra charge gained from every spell. For a charge hungry class like Chloro or Pyro, that's a big deal. Those 6 points in Warlock also deliver a decent, early reactive Armour buff. For Chloro primary healing builds, 6 points in Warlock for both good Mana regain and good Charge regain + benefits is close to being a no-brainer.

Those 6 warlock points deliver a lot of bang for very little buck... that's why it's a commonly used 3rd soul option.

X
    Bah I totally knew that and forgot about it. Ya Wild Growth and Entropic Vale can eat through charge pretty quick although I didnt make perhaps as much use of Vale as I could have during my runs of IT. Perhaps this needs some more thinking. I want it all darnit... thanks for the jab... I was way too pleased with myself.

+ Reply to Thread