+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a Riftstalker main tank?

Shadowlander

Default Can a Riftstalker main tank?

I would like to play a Rogue as my first character at release, but I want to main tank. Does anyone know if it will be possible to do this at the endgame level?

In theory yes, but no one that isn't under an NDA has seen the Endgame yet. So...

No-one really knows how ANYTHING is gonna perform end game, not even theoretically, but the Riftstalker is completely competitive with the other Warrior-calling-built tanks from all comments on previous Betas
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Shadowlander

I had multiple tanks run low level dungeons with my group and the best tank we had was a Riftstalker.

Rift Master

warriors, rogue specced in riftstakler and cleric specced in justicar all can tank as good in a generic spec/gear.
    you can get this easily by looking at skills and how gear modify them and, from a logical viewpoint, why the heck trion should make a tank class which cant tank?
    warriors still have the edge in specialization, if you know that you'll face an enemy that use only magical power, a warrior can specialize better in antimagic tanking than the other two and so on.

we don't know, theorywise yes. But it may take a little bit more than a warrior tank, and more grind to get tanking gear in leather, rather than the usual dps stuff. So you may need to work at it more.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

I tanked with riftstalker its pretty fun actually.. don't know if it would be able to tank raid mobs though will have to wait and see

Telaran

I guess that Justicars and Riftstalkers will do fine in dungeon tier1 content. But that by start of tier2 dungeons, Warriors will be the prefered Tank. Just like a Chloromancers will do fine in healing up till then, but they will be a support spec like Bard in the later content, to take the sharp edges of the healers when needed.
    An other thing i keep in mind, is that Trion wants flexable classes, so they can design encounters on maybe needing 2 healers or 2 tanks, or even 4 dps and a healer on a untankable boss (event).
    The option of letting your mage take up one of its offspecs to help out on healing at one points, CC at an other, or letting your cleric switch from caster dps to offtank, will really allow Trion to create some great mechanics.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Wilcuss View Post
    I guess that Justicars and Riftstalkers will do fine in dungeon tier1 content. But that by start of tier2 dungeons, Warriors will be the prefered Tank. Just like a Chloromancers will do fine in healing up till then, but they will be a support spec like Bard in the later content, to take the sharp edges of the healers when needed.
    An other thing i keep in mind, is that Trion wants flexable classes, so they can design encounters on maybe needing 2 healers or 2 tanks, or even 4 dps and a healer on a untankable boss (event).
    The option of letting your mage take up one of its offspecs to help out on healing at one points, CC at an other, or letting your cleric switch from caster dps to offtank, will really allow Trion to create some great mechanics.
    this is just conjecture - we dont know at all who will be the preferable tank

considering Riftstalkers can actually mitigate more damage than any of the Warrior classes (assuming they are able to keep shifting and their finishers up) I cant see why they wouldn't be able to continue tanking later on...

the only major problem the Riftstalker tank has is aoe aggro - they are mainly built with single target aggro builders

Quote Originally Posted by Moody View Post
    this is just conjecture - we dont know at all who will be the preferable tank

considering Riftstalkers can actually mitigate more damage than any of the Warrior classes (assuming they are able to keep shifting and their finishers up) I cant see why they wouldn't be able to continue tanking later on...

the only major problem the Riftstalker tank has is aoe aggro - they are mainly built with single target aggro builders
    Yeah, i guess if you knew your guild raid tank was a Riftstalker you may just make the archon sub as a dom for the AoE trash, haha
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Ascendant

So far well played Riftstalkers have been able to tank at least as well Warrior tanks. Forget the lack of plate armour and a shield when you closely examine the Riftsalker's abilities and talents (and see them in action!) you'll see it really doesn't matter.

Will that still be the case at end game? Well, no-one can say for sure. I personally suspect that it will be (got a ton and a half of armour and absorbtion % talents in their tree). But the only people who can say for 100% either way will be the alpha testers and they'd still be under NDA.
    Last edited by Kedon; 01-19-2011 at 02:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread