+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having Trouble

Plane Touched

Default Having Trouble

I'm still having trouble understanding the soul systems so if anyone with a bit of patience would like to help debug my issue I'd love some help. Keeping in mind I have yet to play the beta but have read talent trees and the point calculators.
    • Does end game content include a possibility for 3 active trees, of which you can have 3 specs to switch out?
    • Can you swap out select pieces of your spec just like changing dual spec modes in Warcraft (sorry to compare).
    • Can you swap out entire souls on the same character and trade for the other 3? (basing this question off of my confusion).
    • Where is the list of classes that are PVE and PVP based specs? I saw it around but through all of my searches I've come up with no result.
    • Does someone wanting end-game content have a PVE spec like in wow and for general chillin', battlegrounds, etc. have a PVP spec?
    • Do you need to carry gear on hand for PVE or PVP? Or do these spec builds work off of the same stats (WoW failed here).
    • Is it recommended you build one soul to the top of the tree to have a base before you work on others or does this vary in goals for playing the game?
    • Will the cost of spec-repairing increase everytime you need to clear it and start over? Unsure if anyone has used this feature yet.

Just having troubles, I'll assume I'll have more questions later but it's hard to determine whats what with so much diversity. My path in the game will much follow a PVE/ Rift based gameplay while leveling and fall into a PVE raiding/ instance and PVP (if there's room in a good spec for) aspect of the game as well. I was thinking about Shamans but those look mainly melee in this game (fine with that).

Thank you for your patience and understanding, I'm sure working through some of the games now that I'm entered as a VIP beta because of todays pre-order but it's a hard concept to grasp with so much variety ( a concept that frightens me initially but intruiges me as far as end-game is concerned).

I thank everyone for their constructive input.

Ultimately, you have have four roles, which you can compare to WoW's dual spec, except with four setups.

Each role can have three souls equipped in it. You will have access to all nine souls in your calling, so these three souls can be any of those nine. You will assign 66 points into these three souls. With 66 points to play with, you can invest a "full" 51 into on tree, leaving you with 15 to put into your other souls. You could also invest 31 or 32 into two different trees (for the 31 pt Branch and/or 32 pt Root), leaving you a few to place elsewhere. There's even talk of going 20/20/20, with six points to place where you want. Which is optimal is up to you and what goal you're trying to accomplish.

You are able to reset the souls in a role at your calling trainer. When a soul has 0 points in it, you are able to swap it out for any other soul you have. The cost to reset your souls is currently based on your level.

Your four roles can have any specs you want in them, assuming you can figure out a soul combination within your calling that fulfills that what you want to accomplish.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

[*]Does end game content include a possibility for 3 active trees, of which you can have 3 specs to switch out?
    You can choose between 9 "trees" aka souls for each calling and have 4 roles which can have a completely separate set of souls and talent picks within each of those.
    [*]Can you swap out select pieces of your spec just like changing dual spec modes in Warcraft (sorry to compare).
    Not sure what you mean..but you can do whatever you want basically.
    [*]Can you swap out entire souls on the same character and trade for the other 3? (basing this question off of my confusion).
    Yes.
    [*]Where is the list of classes that are PVE and PVP based specs? I saw it around but through all of my searches I've come up with no result.
    There's so many different specs there aren't any souls based around one or the other except there's one extra PvP soul for each calling but other than that you can have whatever you want for PvP or PvE, it's all up to you.
    [*]Does someone wanting end-game content have a PVE spec like in wow and for general chillin', battlegrounds, etc. have a PVP spec?
    Up to you.
    [*]Do you need to carry gear on hand for PVE or PVP? Or do these spec builds work off of the same stats (WoW failed here).
    Same stats.
    [*]Is it recommended you build one soul to the top of the tree to have a base before you work on others or does this vary in goals for playing the game?
    Up to you I've done plenty of builds where I go a little bit in all 3 and I've gone full 51 point builds before it's all up to what you want to do with your character.
    [*]Will the cost of spec-repairing increase everytime you need to clear it and start over? Unsure if anyone has used this feature yet.
    It was free last beta so I'm not sure if it'll cost anything this next one but I'm sure that' show it'll work.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Plane Touched

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...20,5_&lang=eng

I made this while tinkering around to see if I understand concepts. Fire fascinates me and I do like my ranged combat. What areas are lacking here? It doesn't look like a very defensive spec but I'm hard pressed to find a spec for mages that involves an aspect of fire with some defensive or healing characteristics. Still exploring obviously but wondering if I'd be on track for a powerful DPS/ good soloing or raid character. I don't think there would be any undertone of defense or back heals in it but basic CC and other abilities seem to apply.

Suggestions?

Plane Touched

bump + 10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by 261311 View Post
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...20,5_&lang=eng

I made this while tinkering around to see if I understand concepts. Fire fascinates me and I do like my ranged combat. What areas are lacking here? It doesn't look like a very defensive spec but I'm hard pressed to find a spec for mages that involves an aspect of fire with some defensive or healing characteristics. Still exploring obviously but wondering if I'd be on track for a powerful DPS/ good soloing or raid character. I don't think there would be any undertone of defense or back heals in it but basic CC and other abilities seem to apply.

Suggestions?
    If you are looking for a fire based Mage with some Healing and Defensive abilities look into using Pyromancer(Main for Fire),Chloromancer(Nature Based Healing and some buffs)and Elementalist which would give you the chance for the Earth Elemental Pet who can act as your "defense".You could drop Elementalist and go Necromancer for a better pet,or even Warlock for more debuffs/buffs.

Seems like a solo build especially for solo'ing, but it would probably work pretty well in PvP and groups as well.

Yah your squishy, but your a mage...as long as you get your blink skill you should be fine.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

+ Reply to Thread