+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PvP souls necessary?

Default PvP souls necessary?

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...19,5_&lang=eng

Here is a link to the build I want to run at lvl 50 for solo pvp both in warfronts and open world pvp. Problem is I'm not sure exactly what I am giving up by not using the pvp soul. Yeah I can see the talents the soul offers but, meh, they don't really do anything for me. At least not enough for me to break this build up.

Is this a situation where if you don't use and put points into the pvp souls your pvp will be borked? What this build allows me to do is, in my opinion, much greater then what the pvp soul has to offer.

Am I missing something? The pvp souls seem very vanilla to me.

Telaran

I'm under the same impression, I feel like you can get the same type of stats or more all around abilities from PVE souls, or a tad better. However if the PVP souls opened up like the PVE souls instead of one row at a time I could see the PVP souls being more useful. At this point in time until further testing i'm going to roll with just 3 PVE souls

Telaran

I'm not a fan of them at the moment because we don't have "Raid" souls or "Group" Souls, so let people design their character for their play style without any influence.

Regardless if they end up being a good thing or not, I think they take away from the game a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Muligan View Post
    I'm not a fan of them at the moment because we don't have "Raid" souls or "Group" Souls, so let people design their character for their play style without any influence.

Regardless if they end up being a good thing or not, I think they take away from the game a bit.
    Raid/Group souls:
    Bard
    Archon
    Dominator
    Warlord

off the top of my head, at least.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Rift Disciple

I don't really like the idea of have pvp souls. I feel it takes away from what makes this game unique and that is forming your own class through different soul combinations. Instead your kinda forced to grab the pvp tree if you want to be able to compete against other pvpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lust View Post
    I don't really like the idea of have pvp souls. I feel it takes away from what makes this game unique and that is forming your own class through different soul combinations. Instead your kinda forced to grab the pvp tree if you want to be able to compete against other pvpers.
    You didn't take too close a look at them, did you? At best, they provide a boost to souls that have very little pvp viability. At worst, they're points much better spent on abilities and passives with better synergy with the rest of your build.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    Raid/Group souls:
    Bard
    Archon
    Dominator
    Warlord

off the top of my head, at least.
    I don't think any of those are advertised with Raid or group in Parentheses like their "Soul Builder" displays. The souls you listed may be considered "ideal" for those situations but they are not advertised as being so. Not to mention you'll see several of what you listed in any every play styles. The PvP souls will be lucky to even be in PvP from what we've read thus far...
    Last edited by Muligan; 01-18-2011 at 08:23 PM.

PVP souls are a terrible idea. they need to be taken out and more time spent in making more cool souls for everyone to mix and match with whats is there. pvp souls just pigeon hole people into the same boring builds to be competitive (though i think my build is better now).

people will QQ that the pvp souls aren't good enough if they don't dominate with them. and they will either get a buff and become OP or no one will end up using them. just get rid of them.

resilience ruined pvp in wow, and pvp souls will do the same to RIFT.

Well the Rogue pvp souls seems useless to me. You're better off spending points improving other skills than putting points into it. Some classes have some skills worth getting though.

Rift Disciple

The pvp souls for the most part seem pretty meh. I think you all make a good point they should just remove the pvp souls and add more things to the "pve" souls.

the PvP souls i would say are not necessary but i would say they are increasingly benifical for what they add... talents that usually dont add much to a PvE game (like more slow effects and directional attacks and so on) ... I doubt you can ever say that you need a PvP soul but i think they might add a paticular edge to a certain play styles...

-Ardure

Telaran

Lets just boycott them...lol

Rea

pvp souls are a nice way to balance pvp without affecting pve

for example if at some point the dmg gets to high for pvp they can buff some defensive skills in the pvpsoul, without buffing tanks in pve

Quote Originally Posted by Rea View Post
    pvp souls are a nice way to balance pvp without affecting pve

for example if at some point the dmg gets to high for pvp they can buff some defensive skills in the pvpsoul, without buffing tanks in pve
    Wouldn't this imply that we are all expected to use and put points into the pvp souls? What about those (like me) that don't plan to use one. Will I, at some point, become less effective at killing someone because they are using a pvp soul and I am not?

My gripe is that I have a lot of points invested in marksman and riftstalker so the last available soul needs to have a good 0 pt ability for me and saboteur has two really nice ones imo, especially because the 0 pt for the pvp soul is meh with that 5 min cd.

If I have to completely change how I want to play just to be effective then something is wrong somewhere.

Maybe they could scrap these generic feeling souls with more, original pvp souls, you know really start to separate pvp from pve and have completely different souls for both. They've already implemented player specific talents in the pvp souls, why not player specific abilities as well? I don't know honestly I feel like they need to go a different way with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticule View Post
    Wouldn't this imply that we are all expected to use and put points into the pvp souls? What about those (like me) that don't plan to use one. Will I, at some point, become less effective at killing someone because they are using a pvp soul and I am not?

My gripe is that I have a lot of points invested in marksman and riftstalker so the last available soul needs to have a good 0 pt ability for me and saboteur has two really nice ones imo, especially because the 0 pt for the pvp soul is meh with that 5 min cd.

If I have to completely change how I want to play just to be effective then something is wrong somewhere.

Maybe they could scrap these generic feeling souls with more, original pvp souls, you know really start to separate pvp from pve and have completely different souls for both. They've already implemented player specific talents in the pvp souls, why not player specific abilities as well? I don't know honestly I feel like they need to go a different way with them.
    As I stated earlier, as long as your souls give you basic ways to escape/avoid CC and/or deal CC, or have talents that are more beneficial to your build than what the pvp soul provides (which is much more common than people realize), then there's absolutely no reason for you to spec into a pvp soul.

From my view, Marksman, Rifstalker, and Saboteur provides all that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast