+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cleric mechanic help needed

Soulwalker

Default cleric mechanic help needed

ok im new here and im still working out what kind of cleric i wanted to play

im bored of the ranged heal cleric model from every mmo and i was trying to build a melee dps cleric with some utility and group ae heals that could keep me and a few other folks alive during pvp and some light pve content

i decided to go heavy druid for light to medium melee dps damage with some small group utility in snares and roots and ect.. and heavy sentinel for ae group heals with templar as a 0 point 3rd soul just for the cc break in pvp

here is the build http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...18,2_&lang=eng i hope i did that right lol

now what i am not quite clear on is the mechanics involved around the sentinel

1. Sentinel AE heals ....is the AE based around the cleric or around the target they are casting on ?
    2. If the AE is based around the target and i cast it on an ally and i am also inside the AE radius will the AE heal me also or just other allies and not the caster ?

the whole thought behind this build would be to use in duoing with a rouge or warrior and be able to use AE heals to patch heal us both at the same time and the longer cast single target heal to use for my big heal while having the fairy out for support heals or the satyr out for extra dps .... some thoughts on the the build would be appreciated and some clarifying on how the AE heals work would be much appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by Brack View Post
    now what i am not quite clear on is the mechanics involved around the sentinel

1. Sentinel AE heals ....is the AE based around the cleric or around the target they are casting on ?
    Welcome to the forums and Rift

IIRC the Healing Communion works from the point of the Cleric casting it. I do seem to remember another AE heal that works from the target, but I think that was the Chloromancer.

When you read the description of the spell, it will say specifically if it's based on the target or you.

Soulwalker

ok so my questions to that is

AE heals based around the cleric....does the cleric benefit from the spell or just the allies surrounding him ?

the idea i had behind the build was that i could be a cleric that was in the mix doing light melee dps and be able to heal myself and my duoing partner with AE heals ...but if i cannot heal myself with AE heals then this idea and build is kind of busted and i need to go back to the drawing boards

The only semi aoe heal skill you get that goes of from the target you are casting on is the Sentinel's Healing Breath with points into Enruptured breath. It's not a full aoe spell, but it heals up to 2 more targets in 15 meters range.

Also in the Warden tree there is a skill called Rippled, and when cast on an ally, it will spread out all the hot's that person has to up to 5 party or raid members in 15 meters range.

Unless I'm forgetting something all the other aoe heals are from the casters position.

I know the two examples I gave aren't real aoe's, but they have the benifit of being able to heal multiple targets.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Quote Originally Posted by Brack View Post
    ok so my questions to that is

AE heals based around the cleric....does the cleric benefit from the spell or just the allies surrounding him ?

the idea i had behind the build was that i could be a cleric that was in the mix doing light melee dps and be able to heal myself and my duoing partner with AE heals ...but if i cannot heal myself with AE heals then this idea and build is kind of busted and i need to go back to the drawing boards
    How about playing a Justicar then, all his melee skills heal the justicar, and with a skill called Righteous Mandate, if the justicar is at full hp, all the healing you would recieve goes to the person with the mandate on. Also as a justicar you get an aoe heal, and heal just for the person with the mandate on, and a self heal. If you add in Reparation, which would also heal your friend ( not you though), if you are at full HP, he would get healed by the Mandate and Reparation.

If it's just for a pve duo, that's more then enough really. You could go Justicar/shaman, shaman for the extra crit and dmg, and then sentinel to get another instant heal if your justicar heals can't keep up.

Also going the justicar route, usually Salvation/Righteous Mandate/Reparation is more then enough to keep HP topped off, you can just keep on attacking and not worry about healing. Another thing aswell, the heal you can cast with Righteous Mandate is a non target heal, meaning you can cast it without targetting your friend, he just has to be in range of you.

And to reply to your actual question, yes aoe's do heal you aswell.
    Last edited by Jazebel; 01-18-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Rift Disciple

Bad spec at the top of this thread ^. >.<

Soulwalker

thank you for clearing up that ae heals do heal the cleric as well

as for the justicar build here is my thoughts on that

i built this with intents of doing pve and pvp with a high dps melee partner

the roots snares and silences i get in this build allow my partner to spec fully into dps maximizing our havoc on people straying away from groups in pvp,,,,and the mana regen abilities from both trees to reduce downtime in light pve content

the justicar to me seemed like it did not have enough CC for me to use to compliment a high melee dps partner like i intend on doing with this build........

the only downfall i see to this build is if im in the mix doing melee dmg i will be the focus of most attacks and i was worried about not being able to heal myself with AE heals but since i can... i think its a solid build to compliment a full dps spec rouge.... thoughts on this ?....
    Last edited by Brack; 01-18-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Soulwalker

wow this thread slowed down fast

so im gonna bump it lol

any thoughts on using the sentinels AE heals to heal myself and a high dps rouge at the same time in pvp ?

i know it wont work for long sustained battles but for short burst would AE heals keep me and my partner alive in a effective viable manner ?

Soulwalker

im still not sure i am understanding the sentinel Ae mechanic so here is a more specific question ..

in the sentinel tree will divine call and healing communion heal my partner and myself or just my partner

is shared recovery the only spell in that tree that i could use to heal myself and my partner at the same time ?

For the love of all things... rouge is make up.

Rogue is whatcha mean.

In general, your build is fine to me.

I could honestly see you perhaps getting more out of what you want with a Druid/Warden build. It's a build that blossoms in the level 30-50 area as a result of being able to pick up a few lower tier goodies in both trees, but it essentially allows you to do a lot of things...

1st: You will have an instant spammable ranged ability, with a low mana cost, for when you aren't in melee range (Waterjet, 0pt Warden).
    2nd: Waterjet can be combined with the Druid's Bombard (instant ability, talented to snare, 6s cd) which basically means from range you are snaring with Bombard or damaging with Waterjet on any gcd you have where you aren't healing or engaged in cqc.

Kite you? Lol.

3rd: Instant HoTs/AoE HoTs. Those are the two things that has made the Warden shine during CB4. With at least 21 points into Warden you can load up one target with all your HoTs, and one GCD later have all those hots spread to 5 allies nearby.

You can kite (Bombard), while healing (Instants) yourself or your your teammate.

4th: Snare/root removal on a 1m cd, with a 14s duration during which you are immune to new ones applied (Warden tree).

5th: Blessing of the Martyr. Any time you are hit for more than 10% of your hp, you receive 5% less damage for 10s. This buff stacks to 3. Think about it... if you have say... 3000 hp, anything for 300 or more (which players already hit regularly) will shield you... up all the time? I think so.

6: Satyr/Greater Faerie.

7: I could go on and on... here you go...

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...18,5_&lang=eng
    Last edited by Slowjack; 01-18-2011 at 05:33 PM.

I am Rinleigh.
    I am Defiance.
    <3

+ Reply to Thread