+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Was just wondering if anyone had tried...

Default Was just wondering if anyone had tried...

I was just wondering if anyone had tried the combo of Ranger, with either Rift Stalker or Blade dancer... so you get a companion with being a ranger plus ranged attack so you do damadge from a distance with your bow you can also kite them untill you cant anymore. or you can just deal damadge untill they get to you and then use your rift stalker or blade dancer skills for up close melee attacks... i think the blade dancer might be better for the boost in evade and evade skills but then rift stalker might be good as well because he is suposed to only be good in short encounters before he "runs out of his bag of tricks". also you would get a bonus to defense with the rift stalker to survive longer...

I dont know how it works with equipment but it looks like the rift stalker can wear plate or mail im not sure if that would be a good combo with the ranger so it might be better to go with blade dancer but i dont know how they have the armour set up if it is even possible or even reasonable to wear plate or mail with a ranger and have good stats

I know Marksman makes a good combo with a Ranger.

The Ranger has the pet, but the Marksman has most of the other skills you would expect a Ranger to have. I was disappointed with the Ranger skill tree overall.

The Rift Stalker has a nice 0-point ability to instantly warp 15 meters ahead, making escape possible (sometimes)
    Last edited by Slyde; 01-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jaconcox View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone had tried the combo of Ranger, with either Rift Stalker or Blade dancer... so you get a companion with being a ranger plus ranged attack so you do damadge from a distance with your bow you can also kite them untill you cant anymore. or you can just deal damadge untill they get to you and then use your rift stalker or blade dancer skills for up close melee attacks... i think the blade dancer might be better for the boost in evade and evade skills but then rift stalker might be good as well because he is suposed to only be good in short encounters before he "runs out of his bag of tricks". also you would get a bonus to defense with the rift stalker to survive longer...

I dont know how it works with equipment but it looks like the rift stalker can wear plate or mail im not sure if that would be a good combo with the ranger so it might be better to go with blade dancer but i dont know how they have the armour set up if it is even possible or even reasonable to wear plate or mail with a ranger and have good stats
    i have tried it actually and it didnt work well for me.

heres what i came up with for builds though for you that may work
    40pt rift/rang/blade....solo build for sure imo. http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.....V.EMcc0xk0x.x

66pt rift/rang/assa ....51pt rang build. http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc....GsfuekstR.0VMz
    same thing but using nightblade instead of riftstalker
    http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc....GsfuekstR.0VMz

just some ideas.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 01-18-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Shield of Telara

Riftstalker has same gear restrictions as other rogues. No plate or mail. Ranged+Pet/Melee is fine for leveling but for outright best use in a group its not greatest choice. For grouping min/maxing, i know a taboo and hated word, tends to yield the best results. Hopefully that will be different in Rift, but normally maximizing the abilities/buffs for a specific type of attack is more effective than spreading it out across multiple types.

Now if you are simply picking up the crit+ and stat buffs like that it seems more useful. But not being able to go all out on your pet buffing etc seems a bit detrimental to its usefulness. But that may just be me :P.

Also the Rifstalkers bag of tricks is pretty overflowing as long as you stay on top of the rotation and keep your physical shields and other DR abilities up at all times. He even has a tiny self heal based on how many combo points you have left when the mob dies. Its not huge but does give a small % of health back to you. Riftstalker isnt the greatest dmg dealer though but certainly adds a good bit of survivability.
    Last edited by BlackZilla; 01-18-2011 at 02:34 PM.

well if the ranger doesnt work what about the sharpshooter?... so if i am a ranger i cant be wearing plate or anyting of the sort?

Shield of Telara

well if the ranger doesnt work what about the sharpshooter?... so if i am a ranger i cant be wearing plate or anyting of the sort?
    no. no rogue can. they are capped at leather, as in most games with this sort of set up.

mages - cloth only

rogues - leather and cloth

clerics - chain and everything below

warriors - plate and everything below.

Mixing ranged and melee is fine for leveling and adds to survivability. When it comes to endgame or instancing or even PvP if you are too spread out across multiple types of disciplines it just comes down to you are not specialized enough to get the goods out of any of your roles. Now there are some exception like throwing in a few points in certain classes for armor, crit, hit, dex buffs or w/e but when it comes down to it you want to use souls that naturally synergize well together. Like having a mainly melee rogue and then just throwin ranger in there for the pet without adding any points into isnt going to do a lot for you. The pet will be low level, wont add much dps, and wont hold aggro over other players.

Rift allows you some flexibility with your builds, and hopefully we find its even more workable at endgame than it appears it may be now. But it does encourage you to find soul combinations that work best together rather than just throwing them together without any thought to it. Certain combinations seem really cool but may not work out as well as we hope they do just because they dont mesh well.
    Last edited by BlackZilla; 01-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.

http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc....sc0xksxo.e0bVz

so i haven't played the game yet so obviously I would change it around a bit but does this look good? what stats would I want for a range unit?
    Last edited by jaconcox; 01-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread