+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about "zero-point" souls

Shadowlander

Default Question about "zero-point" souls

I've seen several references to character builds where someone says something like "just take 0 point Dominator", for example. I'm assuming they mean to take a soul strictly for the free first-tier skills you get. But it seemed in beta 4 that we have to spend at least 2 points in a soul to be able to train up that soul's abilities with the class trainers. Is this correct? Or can we always continue to train higher ranks of the first-tier abilities even without spending any points in a particular soul?

I thought we'd only ever have the Rank 1 skills unless we invested points in the soul, which obviously would not be useful for very long. I'd appreciate any insight, thanks in advance.

When they talk about a 0 pt soul, it's for the root ability. For example, the sab soul has the aoe snare that you throw on the ground and you don't need to spend a single point in that soul tree.
    Last edited by ---AlterEgo---; 01-18-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkhus View Post
    I've seen several references to character builds where someone says something like "just take 0 point Dominator", for example. I'm assuming they mean to take a soul strictly for the free first-tier skills you get. But it seemed in beta 4 that we have to spend at least 2 points in a soul to be able to train up that soul's abilities with the class trainers. Is this correct? Or can we always continue to train higher ranks of the first-tier abilities even without spending any points in a particular soul?

I thought we'd only ever have the Rank 1 skills unless we invested points in the soul, which obviously would not be useful for very long. I'd appreciate any insight, thanks in advance.
    I haven't seen a training "cap" yet, based on the number of points you put into a soul. Generally you train new skill ranks every other level. So if you notice that you can longer train a zero point beyond say level 26, that would be news. So far I just haven't seen that to be true and not every skill seems to have a rank every two levels.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkhus View Post

in the case of Dominator, i'd say Transmogrify would be useful at any level.

The only reason I would bother with a 0 point soul is if you wanted a 51 point skill in another soul.. But I mean, i could understand if someone wanted to build a character on basically 2 souls, but i've always found better synergy and well-rounded combos come from points in 3 souls..

As far as your question about 0-point abilities and ranking them up, the answer is yes. You can have 0 points in Dominator and still rank up Neural Prod as you level up for example.

As far as splitting souls vs primarily one soul, I think that's pretty dependent on what souls your talking about. Some souls seem to be very strong when invested heavily, whereas others seem to have a great synergy. Just another nice thing about Rift I guess

Many take the zero for the pets also, along with a ranged attack if they are a melee character.

+ Reply to Thread