+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Healer's Guide to World Domination

Default The Healer's Guide to World Domination

This is an old read from way back, but I am sure that many people haven't had the pleasure of reading it. In every MMO I have played I generally play a tank or a healer, because of many of the below reasons. Funny read, check it out if you have time. He is writing about DAoC, but if you look past the spell names/realms/classes, a lot of the fundamentals remain.

http://vnboards.ign.com/midgard_heal...13/82289990/p1

Quote Originally Posted by Axxtasy View Post
    This is an old read from way back, but I am sure that many people haven't had the pleasure of reading it. In every MMO I have played I generally play a tank or a healer, because of many of the below reasons. Funny read, check it out if you have time. He is writing about DAoC, but if you look past the spell names/realms/classes, a lot of the fundamentals remain.

I remember this guide fondly, even though I never ran a Healer outside of Molvik. The thing to remember when reading this is that the Healers in question are a distinct class that is responsible for heals and crowd control primarily. Pacification Healers were excellent crowd controllers/interrupters and I don't think there's any class currently in Rift with access to as much hard control as Pac Healers had.

Some great tips there which, although I never played a healer in DAoC, I certainly agree with having played a healing specced shaman in WoW. My favourites being:

- Be short
    - Pick a name that doesnt broadcast your role
    - Pick a race and class that doesnt stand out and will look like a DPS class

It all worked for me with my resto shaman in WoW!

I also agree that when you are a good effective healer, people come to you for favors, and you rarely have to go looking for help to do anything. I have found that to be true in every MMO to date.

Telaran

First of all, all of that writing is so true! For a little history lesson, I knew it was written longer ago than that. This is the 2005 version there is an older one that was written close to the time THAT game came out http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?...9187559&page=1

And really I thought there was an even older one that was written before SI, maybe he edited the first one. Anyway it's amazing how insightful Sanger is in this guide. The first version of it was written before anyone knew much about the game I'm pretty sure, and if you read it now you will see that almost all of it turned out to be true.

We need him to write one for this game Or if he ever does, I'd listen to him

Plane Touched

You win for Best Post Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    First of all, all of that writing is so true! For a little history lesson, I knew it was written longer ago than that. This is the 2005 version there is an older one that was written close to the time THAT game came out http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?...9187559&page=1

And really I thought there was an even older one that was written before SI, maybe he edited the first one. Anyway it's amazing how insightful Sanger is in this guide. The first version of it was written before anyone knew much about the game I'm pretty sure, and if you read it now you will see that almost all of it turned out to be true.

We need him to write one for this game Or if he ever does, I'd listen to him

I think I remember reading something very very similar in 2000. Wonder if I can find it in my old forums.
    Sidheach: You should be dead!
    Rivendark: Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated—again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivendark View Post

I think I remember reading something very very similar in 2000. Wonder if I can find it in my old forums.
    Yeah I remember reading the original back before WoW even came out, and that was what? 2004? So it would have been at least from the early 2000's. Great read.

I started my MMO career as a healer. Played that character for 3 years.
    And it was the best healer ever:
    Crazy heal spam? Check.
    Most powerful debuff? Check.
    Most powerful buffs? Check.
    Complete immunity to all damage other than 1-2 seconds a minute? Check.
    The ability to self-ressurect if that failed? Check!

Honestly, the fact that it took me over a minute to kill anything was perfectly alright with me. I was immortal, could make anyone else almost immortal, and could at least really REALLY annoy people. It was like being some sort of god, walking through a game of the puny mortals who thought their pathetic attacks which worked on everything BUT NOT ME meant anything.

I pity you lesser healers, who have to deal with things like taking damage and cast time with spell interruption and stuff.
    Take some small comfort in knowing that at one time in this universe there was someone who was what a healer should be. That someone was I. It was magnificent!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    I started my MMO career as a healer. Played that character for 3 years.
    And it was the best healer ever:
    Crazy heal spam? Check.
    Most powerful debuff? Check.
    Most powerful buffs? Check.
    Complete immunity to all damage other than 1-2 seconds a minute? Check.
    The ability to self-ressurect if that failed? Check!

Honestly, the fact that it took me over a minute to kill anything was perfectly alright with me. I was immortal, could make anyone else almost immortal, and could at least really REALLY annoy people. It was like being some sort of god, walking through a game of the puny mortals who thought their pathetic attacks which worked on everything BUT NOT ME meant anything.

I pity you lesser healers, who have to deal with things like taking damage and cast time with spell interruption and stuff.
    Take some small comfort in knowing that at one time in this universe there was someone who was what a healer should be. That someone was I. It was magnificent!
    If this is correct then i'm really glad I never played that game. It sounds skill-less and boring

Quote Originally Posted by Obregon View Post
    If this is correct then i'm really glad I never played that game. It sounds skill-less and boring
    You missed out on the single best PvP MMO ever released then

Hopefully Rift will top it!

edit: before someone argues with me about it not being a PvP game. Yes it had raids and such. Still, it had the best PvP to date. 3 faction balance ftw.
    Last edited by Axxtasy; 01-18-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obregon View Post
    Most fast paced action packed skill dependent game ever.

its just that the metric, the competition, what separated the awesome from the sub-awesome, was not what you did, but how fast and efficient you did it! A party of good players could quickly and efficiently wipe out entire hordes of enemies. A party of sub-optimal players would stand around looking stupid wasting their time doing it wrong. Sure, sure, they would do it eventually, but it would be a sad display of feebleness.

Yes, it was the purest measure ever in a game! No luck involved, if you were good you could do amazing things, if you were bad it would be obvious, and everyone had things that, if done wrong, would just flat out kill them. I would then resurrect them and laugh! Nothing to hide behind, no fancy gear you leeched off of guild mates to cover your ineptitude, no plausible excuses for failure, you just sucked and everyone knew it because they could see, right there, that you were being suboptimal. But the best, they were known by all, they were looked up to, admired. They gave you something to work for! I was not the best. But I knew the best. And I am proud!
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 01-18-2011 at 07:19 PM.

lol the world dominator's motto is "i make miracles" :P i LOL'd!
    i skipped some chapters but it was quite entertaining i always make my guys as short as possible though kuz i'm short IRL and plus i played a tauren warrior in wow and everyone LOVES to kill the BIG things running around >.<

Quote Originally Posted by tizleness View Post
    lol the world dominator's motto is "i make miracles" :P i LOL'd!
    i skipped some chapters but it was quite entertaining i always make my guys as short as possible though kuz i'm short IRL and plus i played a tauren warrior in wow and everyone LOVES to kill the BIG things running around >.<
    I always target the small things first because i figure they are little because they are hiding something

Keens>Short Nords

That being said, I loved re-reading that, and it brought back a lot of DAoC memories (LOLed at the "NF was designed for Hibernia") Lots of good inside jokes from DAoC there for those of us that remember. My other favorite:

"Nightshades: Nightshades are Hibernia's assassin class. They, uhm, squeak when you hit them.
    Little known Nightshade fact: I think they phased out this class actually. "
    Last edited by Allura; 01-18-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Explorer Killers enjoy seeing the world, meeting interesting people...and killing them. EKs love all discovery, but finding an edge over the competition is best. Always seeking new opportunity, an EK likely knows the ten best places to find certain types of opponents, as well as ten different ways for taking them down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast