+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My PvP Tank VK/Pali/Reaver Thoughts please.

Default My PvP Tank VK/Pali/Reaver Thoughts please.

I plan on this being my warfronts/small scale pvp tank. Any comments and feedback is appreciated.
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...18,5_&lang=eng

Shadowlander

What are you planning on tanking? The thing with tanks in PVP is this, you don't put out enough dmg to be high on the kill list, and you are usually hard to kill. You will likely be skipped as a target pretty quickly in PVP or at least by the people that care about PVP. Because taunting and threat mean nothing in PVP you might want to re-evaluate your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    What are you planning on tanking? The thing with tanks in PVP is this, you don't put out enough dmg to be high on the kill list, and you are usually hard to kill. You will likely be skipped as a target pretty quickly in PVP or at least by the people that care about PVP. Because taunting and threat mean nothing in PVP you might want to re-evaluate your plans.
    What taunt and/or threat skills do you see in my spec? Maybe im missing something here.

Telaran

Just think Guardian's if you played EQ2/PvP. This is the first game that is actually going to give Tanks an opportunity to actually participate in PvP. Typically you are nothing more of an annoyance IF you have stuns and AOE Taunt. If you didn't, no one wanted to play with you.

If you want to PvP, its no problem to have a single "tank" soul but have some damage to back up your character. Paladin would probably be fine but you may want to add Paragon, Vindi, or Riftblade in there. Void Knight would probably be ok as well.

The moral of the story I guess would be to get a soul that is DPS when you want to PvP. Remember, you can have several roles saved for various play styles. So, its not like you are married to any of them.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muligan View Post
    This is the first game that is actually going to give Tanks an opportunity to actually participate in PvP. Typically you are nothing more of an annoyance IF you have stuns and AOE Taunt. If you didn't, no one wanted to play with you. .
    Warhammer was actually the first game to allow tanks to really participate in PvP. As a tank if you taunted a target you did extra damage. As well you had an ability called Guard which allowed a tank to absorb significant portions of damage applied to a softer target such as a healer.

Pure tank defensive builds generally work in any PvP though with the exception of being a flag runner or the sort. In general you'll want to take an offensive soul and then use the defensive soul to increase you survivability at the cost of some DPS. I will say however that VK/RB is excellent in PvP, as is Paladin/Champ. The former can burst quite a bit of damage while the later will be very good at helping protect your healers by giving you significant amounts of control over rogues and the like that try to attack your rear lines.

In reference to you build...
    Reaver is a fun class but its not great in PvP as it doesn't have super great single target DPS. The significant amount of DoTs they offer is nice but it wont work nearly as well against an organized group with a skilled healer. The VK is an excellent PvP class as is the Paladin in its own way. If you can swing it I would get 3 more points into Paladin to get shield charge. I know you have a pull on your VK but being able to close or quicky enter the fray is very valuable. Charges are also great ways to bypass the enemies front line and go directly for their rear lines.
    Last edited by Maeveth; 01-18-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Telaran

I did forget about WAR... I mainly played a DoK and a some of a Blackguard.

I'm currently looking at Champ/RB/VK for my PvP build.

+ Reply to Thread