+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PvP Purifier (Discipline Priest) Build (?)

Telaran

Default PvP Purifier (Discipline Priest) Build (?)

Hi, yet another soul tree from me, this time i wanted to try out a healing tree for Clerics in PvP. The one i made focusses on shielding and dmg reduction so there is less healing to do (DUH!)

This is what i came up with
    Ofc, any ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

Telaran

I like that you havent ignored the PvP tree like some suggest. I also like the improved "break free" ability and it is right there next in the tree for you to get. I do like the decrease of silence effects so I think on all my PvP heal builds I will have a similar Templar spec to yours. I can see you are looking at taking advantage of crit heals and it looks well rounded with the points in sentinel. I just haven't looked into purifier much so don't really have much for that side of things. I plan on paying warden/sent/temp - the purifier class may well be the best pvp healer who knows yet, it's just that warden/sent is what I want to play more and I want to try and stick to that and see how it plays out.

I also plan to play a combo similar to the Disc priest. Purifier/Sentinel will make up the majority of the points and then the PvP soul. I am still in the process of tweaking it.
    Sharuko - Guardian Mathosian Cleric
    Sharuko - Defiant Kelari Rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

I'm really liking the Purifier as well and play a Disc priest in WoW so I wanted to try a Purifier build myself for both PvP and PvE. But I'd say there are 5 points you really should have in the Purifier tree, although I don't know where you can take them from lol.

But, you should have a full 5/5 of Spirit Guidance. Not only does Wisdom give you more mana regen, but it makes up most of your Spellpower and more Spellpower equals bigger heals. For a cleric, our Spellpower formula is 75% of Wisdom and 25% Intelligence.

I'd also say you might want to take Fiery Blessing for more chance to crit with your heals.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 01-18-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Actually they play pretty differently from disc priest, you can't just spam shields everywhere you gotta use it strategically.

Not to mention the blessings and such..but I digress lol

My opinion is this is a really good solid build, however, I would do it a completely different way and here's why. You already have tons of shielding and protection from purifier for yourself, and you have a good amount of cast/instant heals that do pretty well. The only reason you seemed to be going into sentinel is because you wanted AOE heals. Now in PvE I would see why you would want to do this however in PvP things are quite a bit different and you don't need as many AOE heals as you might think, please remember this is all my opinion and I realize others will disagree.

So what I would do is, get a nice low mana cost 30s cd AOE heal from the PvP tree instead of getting damage mitigation as well as a 30 second AOE HoT on a 2m cd. For this you end up losing :
    -2s on silences against you (most last around 4~8s I believe)
    -reduced chance you'll be critically hit by about 15% (?)
    -15% reduced spell damage taken
    -2x cast speed after you've been stunned
    --5% taken from players for 10s after being hit hard.
    -5% extra healing
    -5% extra crit healing
    -6% reduced mana cost for heals
    -an OK buff against enemies to make them take more damage

Instead you get this :
    -+5 magic resist (?)
    -Anyone under CC that you heal gets a shield that absorbs 500 damage for 10 seconds
    --6% damage taken from players buff for anyone you heal for 10 seconds
    -Heals you for 15% of however much you heal for every heal.(single target heals)
    -Heals a nearby party or raid member for 50% of however much you heal when you heal someone near them.
    -HoT on 2m cd that aoe heals raid members for about 400 every 2 seconds for 30 seconds.
    -2m cd buff that makes your next spell a crit.
    -+4% wisdom
    -Surging flames (another semi-AOE heal ability)
    -4% chance of your heal not costing mana
    -Fiery blessing (blessing that increases healing crit chance per stack by 10%)

I also switched out sentinel with warden to get a nice single HoT that goes nicely whenever you shield someone. No it won't heal as much as if you were spec'd warden but it's a nice helper and it still heals a good amount regardless.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=4...16,1_&lang=eng

This is all just what I would do instead, it's completely opinion though.
    -

Xfire/steam : Korncob

As far as Sentinel vs Warden, either would work well. The Sentinel's Instant Cast heal is great for PvP but so is the HoT from the Warden. Then it comes down to do you want 5% heals effectiveness increase from Sentinel or if you go 4 points into Warden you get a nice Cleanse and Knockback. Having played an Inquisitor with 4 points in Warden I have to say that Knockback was awesome (it actually knocks people back several feet so very useful when a melee gets up close, or if you wanted to use to interrupt a spellcaster it would work as well, provided you got close enough) so I might lean toward taking Warden if I were you, both both have benefits. Either way, you probably only need a few points in that 3rd soul whichever one you choose.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 01-18-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Korncob View Post
    The only reason you seemed to be going into sentinel is because you wanted AOE heals. Now in PvE I would see why you would want to do this however in PvP things are quite a bit different and you don't need as many AOE heals as you might think, please remember this is all my opinion and I realize others will disagree.
    I went Sentinel for the 14 point cooldown, if that wasnt there i wouldve only spend 10 points in there for healing output.

And your option of going with the right side of the Templar soul, would be a matter of prefered playstyle i think. I prefer to play more defensive as a healer in PvP and be prepared to get "stress-tested"
    Imo the right side of the soul is a good Warfront healing build as long as you can keep yourself out of the fight. But i think (hope) RIft PvPers will be "veteran" pvp players, thus going for the healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilcuss View Post
    I went Sentinel for the 14 point cooldown, if that wasnt there i wouldve only spend 10 points in there for healing output.

And your option of going with the right side of the Templar soul, would be a matter of prefered playstyle i think. I prefer to play more defensive as a healer in PvP and be prepared to get "stress-tested"
    Imo the right side of the soul is a good Warfront healing build as long as you can keep yourself out of the fight. But i think (hope) RIft PvPers will be "veteran" pvp players, thus going for the healers.
    Yah it is definitely a playstyle choice, the right side does have some survivability but not nearly as much as the left. If you get focused a lot I would definitely see doing on that defensive side, I never really did though lol so I guess that's why I prefer that.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Rift Disciple

Those cds are pretty long. I think too long.

Rift Disciple

It's gonna take a long time to get those pvp ranks in order put that many points in a pvp soul. You should probably work on a build that will take you there.

Thats why you don't see many points in pvp souls in any builds right now besides the first 5.

Telaran

I can't see why anyone would want to play a purifier in PVP when most of your most powerful Heals/shields cannot be used on the yourself.

Without them I don't see how you can really defend yourself in PVP situation where healers are almost always the favored targets. That said, I think that zero pointing/only a few points can be useful for the zero point shield that prevents spell pushback.

Warden seems like the premier PVP healer to me due to its survivability and kitting abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Obregon View Post
    I can't see why anyone would want to play a purifier in PVP when most of your most powerful Heals/shields cannot be used on the yourself.

Without them I don't see how you can really defend yourself in PVP situation where healers are almost always the favored targets. That said, I think that zero pointing/only a few points can be useful for the zero point shield that prevents spell pushback.

Warden seems like the premier PVP healer to me due to its survivability and kitting abilities.
    Purifier has a self only shield which is very good and can be boosted through the same ability you boost the ally target shield. Additionally you can boost the reactive heal to trigger up to 6 times.
    Together with Flashover and the Instant heal from Sentinel, the increased armor after casting a heal, the raw healing power you get from the combined abilities of the branches of both healing souls is very good. It's weird you would say that Purifier wouldn't be good in PvP.
    The only issue I have with Purifier is that it lacks any kind of snare, root, fear, confusion or other cc ability. I also think they need to look at this since it's not like the Purifier is way better then the other two healing souls to make up for a total lack of CC (it's the only cleric soul without it).

The build is very close to mine. If warden would be a better choice is a play-style decision really. I am not sure how HoTs would hold up against end-game burst damage and on top how are you going to kite marksman specced builds or mage dps builds.
    Last edited by Sheilina; 01-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    Kandra, DawN's Level 50 Defiant Nurse in Chain (Blightweald)
    Master Runecrafter / Master Outfitter / Master Butcher

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Korncob View Post
    I also switched out sentinel with warden to get a nice single HoT that goes nicely whenever you shield someone. No it won't heal as much as if you were spec'd warden but it's a nice helper and it still heals a good amount regardless.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=4...16,1_&lang=eng

This is all just what I would do instead, it's completely opinion though.
    -
    Ok I'm looking at this and I like it. That PvP line going up to Spirits of Life looks very good to me too. I'm thinking Spirit's of Life will be good to throw on at the BEGINNING of a fight, because if you time it right, everyone should be inside the radius and it's instant cast, after that it's chaos and everyone will be spread out. Going 44 in Purifier gets you the very nice looking Rite of Ancestors, plus you have a % of your single target heals healing others and a smaller % healing yourself from the PvP line, PLUS surging flames. But surging flames only has a radius of 7 meters. The only "problem" is that by getting up to 44 points, you have too many to spend on the tree and end up getting some things that aren't going to make a difference, but you'll end up doing that on most souls, I think.

I don't see the problem with speccing the PvP line, I don't plan to spec in it until I've maxed out what I want from the other souls, I would think everyone else is doing the same. I am looking seriously at 21 Purifier, 21 Warden, 24 Templar using the same PVP tree as you did, but also getting the self-rez (I will probably PUG a lot)

Just to throw some other ideas out there as well:

Disabler/Survival Healing build with Sentinel backup More healing Power and strong instant cast heal
    Disabler/Survival Healing build with Warden backup Slightly more damage for your instant casts

The strong focus on this is with the amount of instant casts you get, the disabling abilities while trying to maximize healing power even under FF. My personal favourite though is the double instant cast buff remover. This is obviously not a damage build and more a build to compliment a group.

I played around with a Inqusitor pvp build in Warfronts at lvl 27 and it worked VERY nicely. At 27 though I don't have enough points to really have enough points to backup healing but end game it should make for a nice disabler build with quite a bit of survivability and still good healing power.

Obviously this build is meant before I have the pvp ranks to fully take advantage of my planned Purifier/Warden/Templar build.

Another important thing to remember is that you can switch your builds in Warfronts or PvP situations as well. It's a bit more tricky since you have to find the right moment and be out of combat but I did that quite often and frequently in the Warfronts in Beta 4. Switching from a Disabler build like the one above to a full healing Bild and even to a full dps build is going to be a lot of fun but also challenging. Don't limit yourself by being too afraid to switch during PvP situations.

Something I totally forgot to test is if Healer's Covenant and Shield of the Ancestor share a cooldown and if not, if they stack. Maybe someone else can answer that.
    Last edited by Sheilina; 01-19-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    Kandra, DawN's Level 50 Defiant Nurse in Chain (Blightweald)
    Master Runecrafter / Master Outfitter / Master Butcher

Rift Disciple

What is a Discipline Priest?

I like the build. Although I like warden much more cause all the heals are on the move. More my style as I never like to sit still. Plus I can spec waterjet and hit someone for 250-350 everysec till they die whenever I want.(at lvl 27)

As it is right now I cannot see going any other cleric spec. Unless they change waterjet I think it is foolish not to use it for leveling purposes and pvp. I am sure at higher levels it wont be as OP though. All the other classes seem to start to get some good CC so time will tell. I like being able to DPS/Heal but if at 50 waterjet is still crazy efficient and effective it will end up being a needed spec. Along with templar spec that leaves us with one other soul to dable with.
    Last edited by Revel; 01-19-2011 at 01:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast