+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 141

Thread: Will marksman be overpowered in pvp?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default Will marksman be overpowered in pvp?

    From the skills available marksman appear to be too good in pvp. They have the advantage of being able to attack from 35 metres, their attacks are instant and they can snare/root if needed, they have amazing mobility, and their dps is huge too. How do you kill or even survive a fight against this set up? Non rogue ranged classes only get 25m range on their ranged attacks, you'll simply never be able to get close enough to hit them.

    The 35m range is simply too overpowering. I'm personally considering making a marksman just because of this, even though I do have another superb build for another class planned out.
    Last edited by Sin00; 01-18-2011 at 05:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Vadar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    The problem is they don't have enough cc, which is why I think the ranger slow debuff is a must. Warriors have pulls and charges. Won't be overpowered at all. Too bad they don't have a long range silence.

  3. #3
    RIFT Community Ambassador
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sin00 View Post
    From the skills available marksman appear to be too good in pvp. They have the advantage of being able to attack from 35 metres, their attacks are instant and they can snare/root if needed, they have amazing mobility, and their dps is huge too. How do you kill or even survive a fight against this set up? Non rogue ranged classes only get 25m range on their ranged attacks, you'll simply never be able to get close enough to hit them.

    The 35m range is simply too overpowering. I'm personally considering making a marksman just because of this, even though I do have another superb build for another class planned out.
    window shopping are you?
    grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence till you get there and then look at the grass on the other side of the fence where you were just at.

    marksman are a high dps range class for sure. they do have some mobility, which does include a buff that makes 2 of their abilities instants for a short duration. they also have a couple channeled abilites.

    they do suck up close though. there is a hole in there abilities at melee range 1-2 meters that they cant do a damn thing more than swift shot. if your not aware of things around you and keep moving...you will die very quickly with a marksman.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple Windwoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    window shopping are you?
    grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence till you get there and then look at the grass on the other side of the fence where you were just at.

    marksman are a high dps range class for sure. they do have some mobility, which does include a buff that makes 2 of their abilities instants for a short duration. they also have a couple channeled abilites.

    they do suck up close though. there is a hole in there abilities at melee range 1-2 meters that they cant do a damn thing more than swift shot. if your not aware of things around you and keep moving...you will die very quickly with a marksman.
    Yes every class has its strengths and weaknesses. Marksman is much like Squig Herder in WAR. Death from afar but deadmeat once you close on them into melee range. I can see the Marksman being deadly kiting in a 1v1 situation, but those situations always seem few and far between in an mmo with pvp going on all around you. That marksman will have alot of stealthed rogues popping on them and plenty of mages and rdps getting the jump on them before the marksman ever sees them.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Seidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Marksmen are going to be underpowered. Good maybe for solo ganks in the outdoor environment - not TOO good even then - but underwhelming in any mass fight. They lack the damage potential of other dps souls, have no utility or CC. Sure, they can occasionally kill someone when their Hit and Run and kelari racial is up, but after that they are useless for the following 5 minutes. Compare that to a pyro who can basically own anyone at the rate of 1 person every 10 seconds, without downtimes, without waiting for cooldowns and without getting your finishers dodged. And they have tons of aoe and cc too. And they have mana. A clearly superior class in every aspect.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Korncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    271

    Default

    UP? I doubt it...I went 69-0 the first warfront I did on my marksman. Overpowered? Not a chance, I just never got focused and I used swift shot to get away from people when I overextended the line of battle. If any stealth rogue's had tried to sap me then do their combo on me I probably would have died very easily but I got lucky lol.

    Xfire/steam : Korncob

  7. #7
    Plane Touched Seidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    180

    Default

    How many of those '69' were killing blows? More then 25? Then your build is semi-ok. If you had at least 30 killing blows, then maybe your build is good and marksmen are really a solid dps class. Or you, sir, are an expert killstealer. Though you cant beat a pyro to that. They have Inferno.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I liked marks the last beta. Quick and easy to kill and always happy to overextend.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seidon View Post
    Marksmen are going to be underpowered. Good maybe for solo ganks in the outdoor environment - not TOO good even then - but underwhelming in any mass fight. They lack the damage potential of other dps souls, have no utility or CC. Sure, they can occasionally kill someone when their Hit and Run and kelari racial is up, but after that they are useless for the following 5 minutes. Compare that to a pyro who can basically own anyone at the rate of 1 person every 10 seconds, without downtimes, without waiting for cooldowns and without getting your finishers dodged. And they have tons of aoe and cc too. And they have mana. A clearly superior class in every aspect.
    lol a lot of crap you said a bout pyros and marksman... at lvl 27 how much a pyro can hit with a critical fireball? 400? maybe 500?
    A marksman can hit over than 1k with deadeye shot(without kelari skill), can ignore almost half of the target armor and strafe have 420~ base dmg that give 1combo ponint per second. In some warfronts I was killing 70-90 players. 35m range + stealh in world pvp and some players won't even know where the shots are comming from.
    I'm not saying that marksman will be overpower but in warfronts and solo world pvp it's one of the best souls atm.
    I have a 27 pyro and a 27 marksman btw and nothing can be better than stealth if you like solo pvp and the 35m is really amazing in groups.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Defacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Don't listen to all the riffraff :P. Their role in a group is to assist the dps train and do burst damage. As a MM, don't expect to come in #1 in damage in WFs a lot, that slot will often be occupied by classes with heavy AoE. If the game was balanced around 1v1, then yes, MM would be OP. However, this is a group game and Marksmen play their roles. They're pretty balanced atm, although at 27 Deadeye crits for wayyyy too much, it's usually like 75% or more of the healthbar. Hard to tell if it's going to scale similarly at high level though, so no nerf needed ATM.

    And to the guy that said a MM is only useful when the Hit and run/ bull's eye is up... you must not have played long enough or specced correctly because my damage was fine when those weren't up
    Last edited by Defacian; 01-18-2011 at 06:10 AM.
    Bubbrubb / Eastern of <Missionary Impossible>



  11. #11
    Ascendant Vadar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisheer View Post
    lol a lot of crap you said a bout pyros and marksman... at lvl 27 how much a pyro can hit with a critical fireball? 400? maybe 500?
    A marksman can hit over than 1k with deadeye shot(without kelari skill), can ignore almost half of the target armor and strafe have 420~ base dmg that give 1combo ponint per second. In some warfronts I was killing 70-90 players. 35m range + stealh in world pvp and some players won't even know where the shots are comming from.
    I'm not saying that marksman will be overpower but in warfronts and solo world pvp it's one of the best souls atm.
    I have a 27 pyro and a 27 marksman btw and nothing can be better than stealth if you like solo pvp and the 35m is really amazing in groups.
    I like this guy.

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara FiercelyFuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Briarcliff
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    Any class can be good in pvp, but as someone stated, they have no CC. If a melee dps can get near them and stick to them like glue, they are done.
    Find your Rift answers to FAQ here.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Defacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiercelyFuzzy View Post
    Any class can be good in pvp, but as someone stated, they have no CC. If a melee dps can get near them and stick to them like glue, they are done.

    That's very hard to do! we get 2 knockbacks, a sprint that removes snares/roots and grants immunity, and various speed buffs. When coupled with complementary specs like ranger/saboteur that give snares, it's damn near impossible to catch a MM. I dueled plenty of times last beta against and no meelee class was ever able to keep me in meelee range once any stuns wore off.
    Bubbrubb / Eastern of <Missionary Impossible>



  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiercelyFuzzy View Post
    Any class can be good in pvp, but as someone stated, they have no CC. If a melee dps can get near them and stick to them like glue, they are done.
    not really:
    -marksman have a 70% movement buff that remove snares and roots
    -a knockback
    -a ranged root
    with a sin:
    -4s stun if some melee get close
    -10s blind
    with a ranger
    a 6s snare with 10s CD.

    If a marksman can't keep the distance in 1x1 they are doing something wrong =p

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    MM is 35 range, but i think mages have 30m range, atleast my mage had 30m in last beta

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts