+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silence Vs Warriors/Rogues?

Prophet of Telara

Default Silence Vs Warriors/Rogues?

Do silences have much effect against Warriors/Rogues in Rift?

X

Are you talking PVE or PVP?

In PVE you get mezzed and stunned a lot especially in dungeons.

Paladins and Reavers both get a free out of jail instant cast that remove all stuns, snares, mezzes etc. Paladin's Devotion and Tempered Will for Reavers.

Paladins also get a hastened Devotion to reduce the lockout and Steely resolve to reduce the time of the detrimental effects.
    Last edited by Aurelie; 01-18-2011 at 12:23 AM.

He just means does silence effect any of the melee classes abilities. Does silence only effect spells?

I haven't tested it, so no idea. I would also like to know what mesmerise does exactly aswell.
    Last edited by Vadar; 01-18-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadar View Post
    He just means does silence effect any of the melee classes abilities. Does silence only effect spells?

I haven't tested it, so no idea. I would also like to know what mesmerise does exactly aswell.
    If I got mezzed on my Paladin all my abilities got greyed out and I couldn't melee. The only ability that I could push was my devotion ability which removed the mezz, after that everything lighted up again on my hotbars.
    Last edited by Aurelie; 01-18-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    If I got mezzed on my Paladin all my abilities got greyed out and I couldn't melee. The only ability that I could push was my devotion ability which removed the mezz, after that everything lighted up again on my hotbars.
    So mez disables ALL skills, but you can run away? So it's better than a disarm?

Trying to remember but I'm pretty sure I couldn't move either.

Trying to remember but I'm pretty sure I couldn't move either.
    Does it break on damage? It sounds like another name for a casters stun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadar View Post
    Does it break on damage?
    No, the mob was beating me while I just stood there helpless getting healed by our party cleric.

No, the mob was beating me while I just stood there helpless getting healed by our party cleric.
    Ahk, thanks. Why didn't they just call it stun.

Prophet of Telara

Aye... does silence affect (some of) their abilities? In some games, silence will affect such classes, if the ability isn't directly linked to their weapon. So a direct damage stuff tends to stay... but other types of effect will be silenced.

I'm wondering whether the same is true in Rift.... if it affects warrior/rogue abilities, then you expect a silence to have more effect in PvE and will use it more in raids. Given that there's quite a lot of cross-over with 'casting-like' abilities given to many rogue/warrior souls, I'd expect Silence to have some effect... but it would be good to know for sure.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-18-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Default terminology lesson from Back In The Day™

terminology lesson from Back In The Day

"Mez": short for "mesmerized" or "mesmerization". refers to a status condition wherein a subject is incapable of acting in any way, and the effect is removed if the subject takes any damage. i.e., the player loses (all) control over his avatar, leaving the character sitting there doing nothing for the duration of the effect.

"Stun": the most severe crowd control effect, typically very short duration, similar to a "mez" in almost every way except that it is not removed by taking damage. a subject can be killed without stun wearing off.

"Root": an effect which prevents a subject from moving. subjects can still perform actions such as "attacking" or "casting a spell", etc: only movement is affected. often has a high chance of breaking upon damage.

"Snare": an effect which hinders movement, but does not prevent it entirely.

"Charm": an effect which transfers control over the subject to a hostile controller. while affected, the character cannot be operated by its original owner.

"Fear": similar to a "Mez" or a "Stun", except that the subject flees uncontrollably, possibly in a random direction but sometimes there is an algorithm which influences the subject's path. often has a high chance of breaking upon damage.

"Haste": an effect which speeds up auto-attack "swing time". that is, a subject may use its physical attack more frequently. the exact manner in which this effect is implemented can vary between games.

"Slow": confers the opposite effect of a "Haste". affects attacks only, not the subject's movement rate.

"Proc": refers to an effect on an item (usually a weapon) that can be triggered to have some sort of effect. i've heard it said that

When an item in a MUD would have a special effect attached to it, the MUD's programming would use "SPEC_PROC", short for "special procedure", to attach the effect to the item by linking it to a procedure programmed elsewhere in the MUD's code.
    in any case, the term "proc" these days refers almost entirely to chance-on-hit effects from weapons, but sometimes on armor as well.

archaic terms specific to EQ1:

"SoW": short for "Spirit of Wolf", a spell in EQ1. a spell effect which conferred a higher rate of movement speed to a subject. the opposite of a "Snare". other effects which affected movement rate were often referred to as a "SoW" even though the effect might actually have another name (like some Bard songs or other classes' spells).

"Gate": a specific spell used by casters in EQ1 to teleport them (it was a self-only spell) to their "Bind Point". similar in purpose to the Hearthstone in WoW, it was a major perk specific to spell casters.

"Port": short for "Teleport", a reference to a type of spell which could teleport subjects other than the caster to another location. very important ability before later expansions rendered it mostly obsolete. sometimes used to refer to an "Evac"

"Evac": short for "evacuate". a type of spell meant to be used in an emergency to save the party or the caster from a dangerous situation, rather than for mere transportation. it had a high cost to the caster, relatively short cast time, and translocated the party to a safe location within the same zone. lower rank version sometimes could leave a random member behind.

"Bind Point": the location in the world where an avatar will respawn after death. this location could be changed by speaking with NPCs (which were introduced in a later expansion) or by having the spell "Bind Soul" cast either by oneself or by another player. it was common practice in the early days to bind the souls of an entire raid to an encounter's entrance area to save on a long "corpse run", under the assumption that a party member (wiz or druid) would teleport the raid out when the event was over.

"Corpse Run": a true "corpse run" involves travel through the same plane of existence as any other character adventures in, except that all the equipment, items and money that were on one's corpse at the time of death (including one's corpse!) remain where the character was slain. i.e., one's naked character had to run from its "bind point" to its corpse if the player wanted to get all things that were on it. buffs for invisibility naturally made this very much easier, depending on where, exactly, one died. this is why "Trains" existed, because players wanted to die in the easiest location to get back to (if they couldn't actually make it to the "Zone Line")

"Train": a large group of aggressive, hostile NPCs ("mobs") which is chasing a player. usually very dangerous, and could, theoretically, consist of every NPC in the entire zone. "Train"s will wait at a "Zone Line" for a short while after their target has already zoned through (if he made it!) before wandering back to their anchor points. in this way, highly-trafficked zone-lines could be quite dangerous -- notoriously, the Clan Crushbone zoneline.

"Zone Line": the point at which a character is removed from the game world for transfer to the next discrete zone. until the character is spawned in the target zone, it is effectively non-existent, therefore safe (from a Train it was fleeing, for example, or from DoTs which are ticking on it, or from Trains waiting on the other side...).
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Prophet of Telara

Hehe... all well and good... but should we add
    Silence: Usually an effect that prevents casting or use of special abilities, but still allows movement and weapon hits.
    ... and it's the silence I was interested in.

X

Prophet of Telara

Nobody have an answer to the original question? Does Silence work on (some) Rogue/Warrior abilities too?

X

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    Nobody have an answer to the original question? Does Silence work on (some) Rogue/Warrior abilities too?

X
    Guess noone knows since who would silence a rogue or warrior in pvp anyway and in pve it's rare to see a silence in the minimal testing areas we have for beta.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post

X
    To reply to the OP. No SILENCE does NOT hinder rogues or wariors in anyway. Just as disarm wont harm a mage.(Unless you are relying on the uber melee dps they are putting out with 1 strike of their staff.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast