+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lifetapping mage

Soulwalker

Default Lifetapping mage

So I've been playing WAR since CB and the last 1 year pretty mostly on my DPS AM, which I absolutely loved as a class and as a concept. For those that aren't aware of it, it was basically a mage type class that was squishy as hell but had CC that allowed him to kite and was mostly reliant on his lifetaps for his survivability. Is such a build possible in Rift and, if so, can someone please provide me with a draft build? I'm somewhat bamboozled by the millions of options that are available

Check out Chloromancer, Dominator, and Stormcaller as a start for some ideas.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

I play a Chloromancer/Warlock with lifetap(Sac Life) for unlimited mana.

http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl <-- they are still working on it, but it has the best detail of skills.
    50 Adequate - Seastone - Cleric - Defiant
    50 Adequate - Laethys - Mage - Guardian

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by adeQuaTe View Post
    I play a Chloromancer/Warlock with lifetap(Sac Life) for unlimited mana.

http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl <-- they are still working on it, but it has the best detail of skills.
    Yes, and not one link that I've followed to that site has ever shown more than a blank soul tree (like yours for example). Plus the tooltips are sloooooow. I'm sticking with rift-planner.com till they fix it...the detail on it is better, in many cases, than Zam's.

Quote Originally Posted by kransky View Post
    Yes, and not one link that I've followed to that site has ever shown more than a blank soul tree (like yours for example). Plus the tooltips are sloooooow. I'm sticking with rift-planner.com till they fix it...the detail on it is better, in many cases, than Zam's.
    Thanks for the link, rift-planner was pretty simple the last time I tired it.
    50 Adequate - Seastone - Cleric - Defiant
    50 Adequate - Laethys - Mage - Guardian

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by adeQuaTe View Post
    Thanks for the link, rift-planner was pretty simple the last time I tired it.
    It's getting better all the time...still not great though. I'm waiting for the one linked on the main site to work (they've promised that they'll have tools that keep all these planners up to date eventually, so that'll be good).

Prophet of Telara

it was basically a mage type class that was squishy as hell but had CC that allowed him to kite and was mostly reliant on his lifetaps for his survivability.
    Classic Tap and Kite Mage in Rift is the Necro/Lock. Lots of instant abilities for casting on the move. Pets that will be clobbering the mobs you're kiting - while your damage effects also increase their power. Good return of health and Mana to the Mage via both Necro and Lock abilities. There's some AoE stuff in there too, though not a lot.

You also have a snare, a stun which then snares whenever the pet hits (60s), a fear and could go for 0 pt Dom for a mez... though you might opt for 0 pt Chloro for some extra healing from Radiant Spores (note: spores only fires on the first hit of DoTs). Both are good 0pt choices.

Try this build on for size... I've tended towards choosing for instant abilities rather than channeled ones, because you stressed kiting.... but I've left the channeled Soul Purge in the necro tree, which does damage while it's running and heals you and your pet, because it's very useful when you do stand still. You might want to swap it for Dark Fury on the Lock tree, for an instant damage/stun.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-18-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsares View Post
    So I've been playing WAR since CB and the last 1 year pretty mostly on my DPS AM, which I absolutely loved as a class and as a concept. For those that aren't aware of it, it was basically a mage type class that was squishy as hell but had CC that allowed him to kite and was mostly reliant on his lifetaps for his survivability. Is such a build possible in Rift and, if so, can someone please provide me with a draft build? I'm somewhat bamboozled by the millions of options that are available
    The beauty of RIFT compared to WAR is,,,,, I bet you wont get all that "Hey stop DPSing your a healer WTFailsauce!!!!" Deeps AMs and SHAs get in WAR.

The options for a kiting cc dot machine are endless here.

(note: spores only fires on the first hit of DoTs)
    Wrong - spores can proc on every damage you inflict on the enemy, including dot ticks, item procs, trinket active effects and such.

Forgot to mention, if you aim at pvp (which I find likely from your post), OP, then the first thing you will find about rift pvp is catastrophic shortage of melee opponents. And those who are melee have great mobility tools, so it's not like you are going to have any degree of success kiting them. Be prepared for that.
    Last edited by Seidon; 01-18-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Sorry yes... I was thinking of Lifegiving veil. DoTs do tick for Radiant Spores. My bad.

X

Lifegiving veil also does trigger from every dot tick/proc. Hell, even warlock's first armor buff with a dmg shield procs some minor healing.

Prophet of Telara

Eh? Could have sworn lifegiving veil only fired on the first tick of DoTs...

X

Prophet of Telara

Oh... no I see what you mean now. It only says that the life damage DoTs that give a 40% heal on the first tick from LV. You're saying that other damage type DoTs would fall under "all other spell damage dealt by the mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done"....

But wouldn't that mean that for most DoTs you'd end up with other damage types doing the same, or nearly the same healing for the DoT overall as the life damage ones? You'd only need 8 ticks on a normal DoT to get the same percentage of the overall non-life damage out as healing. That surely can't be intended? That normal damage DoTs heal for nearly as much with LV as Life Damage DoTs?

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-18-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Oh... no I see what you mean now. It only says that the life damage DoTs that give a 40% heal on the first tick from LV. You're saying that other damage type DoTs would fall under "all other spell damage dealt by the mage heals allies for 5% of the damage done"....
    I know what is written in the tooltip, but in fact it's wrong. You get the healing from every tick of withering vines, from spores and ruin with the dot talent, etc. It's lesser then the damage, so it looked like it's 40% of the damage of every tick. But it did definitely heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsares View Post
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=4...nts=0&lang=eng

Rough build just to show you that cleric's are also capable of doing what your wanting :P inquisitor has life and mana "tap" type spells and is completely caster based.

Besides that however necromancer, warlock, and chloromancer all have form of "lifetapping"

Xfire/steam : Korncob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast