+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interested in a melee healer... (cleric)

Soulwalker

Default Interested in a melee healer... (cleric)

Thinking of giving this game a go. Been reading the forums a lot, playing with the soul calcs some etc. I was hoping some people who have a better grasp of the game could answer some questions for me, tell me if this is viable. My interest depends a lot on whether my preferred playstyle is possible. ;) I prefer PvP over PvE, though obviously I will do both. I don't anticipate doing big raids.

Things I want:
    1) I really like the Justiciar instant, full-health rez at the top of that tree
    2) I don't want to be super squishy
    3) I like the idea of AoE heals from Sentinel a whole lot
    4) Melee!
    5) I'd kind of like to keep it thematically...reasonable.

Do not want:
    1) Healbot -- IE, either passable damage or better yet, CC as another option alongside decent heals
    2) Don't care if I can main heal
    3) To spend my time standing in the back playing healthbar whack-a-mole

Would this be viable? If so, what builds would you guys suggest for a starting point? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
    Thinking of giving this game a go. Been reading the forums a lot, playing with the soul calcs some etc. I was hoping some people who have a better grasp of the game could answer some questions for me, tell me if this is viable. My interest depends a lot on whether my preferred playstyle is possible. ;) I prefer PvP over PvE, though obviously I will do both. I don't anticipate doing big raids.

Things I want:
    1) I really like the Justiciar instant, full-health rez at the top of that tree
    2) I don't want to be super squishy
    3) I like the idea of AoE heals from Sentinel a whole lot
    4) Melee!
    5) I'd kind of like to keep it thematically...reasonable.

Do not want:
    1) Healbot -- IE, either passable damage or better yet, CC as another option alongside decent heals
    2) Don't care if I can main heal
    3) To spend my time standing in the back playing healthbar whack-a-mole

Would this be viable? If so, what builds would you guys suggest for a starting point? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

yes you can do it. there are souls available for melee clerics.
    justicar is in fact melee, but more a "tank" type of cleric. dunno if you want tankish or dps type. there are both types though. i think it was druid and shaman that were the dps but not sure, have to go look at the trees.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

You should have no trouble accomplishing what you want. In fact, there's more than one way to do it. Also, since you can have 4 roles (builds) set up you can switch around between tankish melee and dps melee cleric and have heals coming in all the time.

I just made a fast summary of the souls for another thread. Pick your poison

Healing Souls
    All three healing souls have their strong and weak spots and builds strongly depend on what the needs in your current situation are. Generally all three souls have nice synergy with each other while unfortunately there are abilities which are overlapping such as the Endurance buffs and out of combat rezzes. All three souls can remove disease but each of those three has the ability to remove one unique type of status effect. Also, abilities that influence healing in one soul will work on the other souls unless it clearly states the ability it refers to. Both Purifer and Warden have strong mitigation abilities (if you want to call them such) while the Sentinel mostly relies on healing damage AFTER it's done.
    • Purifier (Fire Based):
      His trademark are Wards which get used up upon damage and can be increased in power by going deeper into the branches. His spells are mostly single target focused while the healing abilities have a good synergy with the other healing souls. Gets a 30 Wisdom Buff later on in its root abilities.
      It's the cleric soul which has no root or snare abilities yet some very nice tool to keep itself alive (self Ward and self reactive heals on damage). This soul, while having strong single target heals, mostly relies on wardening. That includes root spells as well as abilities you can use in the branches to add to this. On the other side it has a powerful focus on increasing your crit heals. Doesn't have a mana regen ability like Warden and Sentinel. Is probably the healing soul of the cleric that has the most tools at its disposal to keep itself alive. Can remove disease, bleed and physical debuffs.

• Sentinel (Life based):
      Most powerful Instant Cast Heal. Direct Group Heals. The soul can be mana draining if you use your AE heals in less then ideal situations. Besides the Justicar, the Sentinel is the only Cleric soul that has an in combat rezz. Specially later in the branches the Sentinel gets a powerful Direct Heal and duo target heal which are also very mana efficient. Has a Silence, removes Disease and Poison debuffs. Can also chose to add a snare to one of his DDs. Has a really nice Ward as well which will reduce damage from every source by a certain % for 10 seconds. Additionally the Sentinel can increase the crit chance on a single target for the whole group.

• Warden (Water based):
      Heal over Time based healer. Can buff others with Waterbreathing. Has a mana regen ability in its branches. Can stack HoT on a single target and spread it to the group with one of their branch abilities. Can remove disease, poison and curses. Has a self reflect and a reactive heal that heals the group deep into its root abilities.

Spell Souls
    While the Inquisitor has more cc abilities and fewer damaging abilities, the Cabalist is focused on damage more so but also has CC in his toolbox. Both those souls can only heal themselves and are very strongly relaying on another soul to add some more healing power. The Inquisitor is much easier and straight forward to play then the Cabalist.
    • Inquisitor (Death and Life based):
      The strong point of the inquisitor are it's many instant casts like dots, double buff removal, death and life debuff, single target confusion, ae fear, snare and a pushback. It's probably the cleric soul with the most control abilities. Has interesting self armors and both AE and single target dps power. Can chose to be healed by some of its damaging spells and also get mana back. Can buff with short time fear immunity on a single target. Has a single target confusion (cast). A soul which is very interesting for a PvP build. Can only heal itself.

• Cabalist (Death based)
      Is probably the most challenging damage/spell soul to play due to its mechanics which can be compared to time delayed bombs. Can buff all four elemental resists if you get the branch ability. Its trademarks are sigils which are little bombs that ae explode if a certain condition are met. Cabalist can chose to get healed upon certain damage and can also regain mana from sigils. It's a very heavily AE focused damager additionally has a strong focus on Damage over Time. Sigils have a cast time of 2 seconds initially which make up most of the challenge to play efficiently. Single target and later on AE instant cast root. Can add cast time increase for enemies to some of his damaging spells. Later on in the branches the Cabalist can get a pull to target abilities for nearby enemies and also decrease casting range. Can only heal itself.

Melee focused Souls
    All of these souls use melee attacks as their main source for additional effects or healing. The Druid is somewhat of a hybrid between spells, melee, damage and healing.
    • Justicar (Life based)
      Justicar is the most defensive of the melee focused souls. A lot of players also refer to it as the Tank of the Cleric souls.
      All his attacks heal the Justicar for a certain % while melee attacks add more healing power then other type of attacks. Its Trademarks are Mien's which can be swapped to either increase healing or tanking abilities. Its heals are based on its melee attacks and can be focused on a single target or the group. Has one of the only two in combat rezzes available to the cleric souls which brings the Ally back with 100% health but is on a long cool-down. Its branch increases defensive abilities and can also add stun and snares to attacks. Can increase the groups healing for 5% for a short period of time.

• Shaman (Physical based)
      Strong melee damager and buffer. Most of its branches are focused on increasing melee damage output and melee crits. The trademark of the Shaman are its buffs: the Heart buffs which increase different types of resists (in the branches) and the courage buffs (in the roots). You can specc to spread one of each buff type to the group. Shaman has the weakest heal power of all the cleric souls but the strongest melee damage output. Its abilities to heal is directly linked to its crit damage. Heals can only be used after a critical hit. Has a self damage shield, snares to some abilities and can restore mana through some of the damaging abilities. Can only heal itself.

• Druid (Earth and Life based)
      The druid is the only cleric soul with a pet. The pet can be set to either attack the enemy or heal you and later on, your group (which is like a HoT). The power of the fairy is, at least early on, not very strong and won't be able to keep you up through a lot of damage. It's very nice to reduce downtime though. You can however increase the pets power by speccing into branch abilities. The druid has a strong sleep and silence. Has AE and direct spells if you specc into it in the branches.
      The abilities are mostly do add healing power, increase abilities through or for your pet and add additional snare or mana regain effects to your attacks. The pet is not comparable with the pet of a caster class which can be set to different types and can be commanded directly. Think of it as the druids tool to enhance its own skill, spell and abilities.
    Last edited by Sheilina; 01-19-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    Kandra, DawN's Level 50 Defiant Nurse in Chain (Blightweald)
    Master Runecrafter / Master Outfitter / Master Butcher

Soulwalker

Thank you all very much! The breakdown (which is better than the official descriptions by far) was especially helpful.

Let me ask one more question. Okay, maybe two.

1) Will I suffer somewhat as a melee cleric if I don't incorporate some shaman? (Druid doesn't interest me a all...pet, eeew.) The charge, in particular, seems very helpful with kiters...but I'm hoping the snares from Justiciar should be enough to deal with that pretty well. The "courages" look pretty important for melee too, though (but I'm thinking the Justiciar's Cavalier serves the same purpose?)
    2) Are the effects super nature-y visually for the shaman?
    Last edited by Sarielle; 01-18-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Thank you all very much! The breakdown (which is better than the official descriptions by far) was especially helpful.

1) Will I suffer somewhat as a melee cleric if I don't incorporate some shaman? (Druid doesn't interest me a all...pet, eeew.) The charge, in particular, seems very helpful with kiters...but I'm hoping the snares from Justiciar should be enough to deal with that pretty well. The "courages" look pretty important for melee too, though (but I'm thinking the Justiciar's Cavalier serves the same purpose?)
    1) it strongly depends on how important damage output is for you. Obviously if you get the crit and increased damage for melee from shaman and some other abilities you will have more damage. You have three slots you can fill with different souls and if you like Justicar I don't see any problem in using Justicar and Shaman and a healing soul you like. f you want more healing power then you can always have Justicar and two healing souls. That's really up to you. Shaman will strongly enhance any other melee souls you might have damage wise.

2) Not sure what you mean by that question
    Last edited by Sheilina; 01-18-2011 at 06:30 AM.

For 2 no I don't think so really.

For 1 you get more physical damage if you go into shaman, so yah it helps your melee healing a lot and if you don't have it it doesn't put you at a disadvantage it just means you have room to get a different advantage of your choosing.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sheilina View Post
    2) Not sure what you mean by that question
    Sorry, I meant the particle effects. I'm not crazy about the idea of swirling leaves or whatever.

And thanks again to you both. I'm strongly leaning toward giving the game a try now.

Anyone played with the Justicar in Beta?? I have a DoK in Warhammer and used to love him until they got nerfed in the face..the whole melee/healing clas is pretty bad ***... Was just wondering if they play the same way as a DoK or WP in War.

I played a Just/Sham in B4 but I wouldn't know a thing about a comparison to WAR's classes because ... I never played WAR (other than a trial back in the day). It's melee potential is quite nice and the ability to toss heals around if needed (simply spec Pur, Sent or Ward as 3rd Soul) is kinda awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Prom View Post
    Anyone played with the Justicar in Beta?? I have a DoK in Warhammer and used to love him until they got nerfed in the face..the whole melee/healing clas is pretty bad ***... Was just wondering if they play the same way as a DoK or WP in War.
    There is not really a soul that can output that amount of dps and heal the same time but you can definitely create a DoK similar build with combining different souls.

Justicar can be compared to WP imo yet is still different with more tank focused abilities.

What about pvp-wise? did they kick ***?

I believe the Shaman particle effects have both Frost/Lightning based looks to them. So no leaves and plants stuff.

Plane Touched

I am rolling a Shaman for beta 5, and I have been looking at Justicar also, so I am no expert, *but* based on the trees it seems mandatory that you have a Shaman-heavy build for melee. I'm looking at Inquisitor too to boost melee abilities.

Here is the best builder I know of right now, with a possible build for a lvl 40 Just/Sham/Inq who wants to do melee damage but also provide group healing and buffs:

http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl

Have fun playing around with the builder!

Quote Originally Posted by Atar View Post
    I am rolling a Shaman for beta 5, and I have been looking at Justicar also, so I am no expert, *but* based on the trees it seems mandatory that you have a Shaman-heavy build for melee. I'm looking at Inquisitor too to boost melee abilities.

Here is the best builder I know of right now, with a possible build for a lvl 40 Just/Sham/Inq who wants to do melee damage but also provide group healing and buffs:

http://rift.dev.zam.com/cluster/stc.pl

Have fun playing around with the builder!
    Ohh man I soo <3 you for posting the link to that builder!

Now, my question is do you think it is better to roll a Just as your first soul and then shaman as your second..to increase your healing % from the melee that Shaman gives you, or to go shaman first and increase your crit %?? I am mainly talking about pvp purposes now..and more along the lines of 1v1 or open world pvp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast