+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger Shadow Stalker Pet

Default Ranger Shadow Stalker Pet

Does anyone have any info on this that has used the pet? The pig and its greater form are obviously a tank pet, while so far the wolf and greater wolf seem to be built for dps when you have some other tank type available, and I know the raptor might not be seen in beta without more levels opened up.

So my main question is for those that have used it, what role does the shadow stalker pet seem to fill?

Plane Touched

And does it have stealth?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixfunk View Post
    And does it have stealth?
    no stealth, its a cat/cougar pet that is stat wise nearly identical to the dire wolf but does a DOT bleed damage instead of direct damage on one of its main attacks. Rangers and their pets get some potential buffs when attacking bleeding foes so forcing a bleed may be useful. Also, the pet does not hold/get aggro (just like the dire wolf doesn't) and so is worse then the dire boar for PvE. Also since rangers have a talent to force bleed on arrows, it's not sure the bleed DOT is that useful, and the pet requires 3 full points in the semi- useless talent below it, so my opinion is you should skip the pet. I used in a lot in beta 4 and respeced the points out of it after using the pet for a few days.
    Last edited by Brindlefox; 01-17-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Plane Touched

Anyone else think its dumb that a pet called the Shadow Stalker cant stealth?

It would open up some cool stealth combinations. A Nightblade with a stealth pet!

But Alas

Telaran

so why to use the shadow stalker mainly its because he has the same 4 sec bite of the dire wolf.
    but were the dire wolf has a 10 sec cooldown small AoE cone attack, the shadow stalke has another 4 sec cooldown attack but this one adds a bleed over 12 sec effect.. that stacks up to 3 times..

what does this mean?
    it means the dire wolf is for aoe trash and 2-3 mob pulls getting though the instance.
    the stalker is for the boss fights. stacking DoT effect should show ya that if your gonna spend time on one target only this is the pet for that.. also the 2 4 sec cooldown attacks makes the talent next to shadow stalker the one that if your pet crits you gain +30% damage bonus for 15 seconds .. more attacks in a 15 sec window = more possable up time of the largest +damge ability rangers have access to..

also the 3 points leading to it are far from worthless +15% pet damage on a target that bleeding.. so 15% more perma pt damage lol yea 15% is totally worthless........... dont be dumb.

nd if your useing a boar for instances i feel bad for you.. solo questing hes tops, in a group hes fail....

alot of people tryed the stalker for solo questing... works fine long as you have the snare aswell.. but remeber he doesnt have a taunt, hes not your tank pet, dont use him as one.
    and dont complain, when he doesnt preform a job he was NOT built for.

-punt

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Erongada View Post
    Anyone else think its dumb that a pet called the Shadow Stalker cant stealth?

It would open up some cool stealth combinations. A Nightblade with a stealth pet!

But Alas
    well for the stalker thats what? 21 points into ranger might as well go 26 and get the instant summon then you can stun them and then instant pet summon thats about as close as your gonna get to stealth pets, and i thank geebus every day for that fact

stealth is a potentially abusive mechanic in almost every game out there.

pets are another potentially abusive mech..

so stealth pets should be right out =)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Puntyer View Post
    also the 3 points leading to it are far from worthless +15% pet damage on a target that bleeding.. so 15% more perma pt damage lol yea 15% is totally worthless........... dont be dumb.
    Except that those same 3 points could get your MAIN character (who is cranking out a crapload more dps) 12% more attack power, or 3% more crit rate, or 3 feet more range etc.... In general, pets dps is lackluster compared to the player's dps, so the tradeoff isn't that great IMO. (and that doesn't even include the extra point spent to buy the pet, my biggest complaint is that the riftstalker is not really much of an upgrade over the 'free' direboar/direwolf. i think it should at least do more dps or something).
    Last edited by Brindlefox; 01-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Puntyer View Post
    so why to use the shadow stalker mainly its because he has the same 4 sec bite of the dire wolf.
    but were the dire wolf has a 10 sec cooldown small AoE cone attack, the shadow stalke has another 4 sec cooldown attack but this one adds a bleed over 12 sec effect.. that stacks up to 3 times..

what does this mean?
    it means the dire wolf is for aoe trash and 2-3 mob pulls getting though the instance.
    the stalker is for the boss fights. stacking DoT effect should show ya that if your gonna spend time on one target only this is the pet for that.. also the 2 4 sec cooldown attacks makes the talent next to shadow stalker the one that if your pet crits you gain +30% damage bonus for 15 seconds .. more attacks in a 15 sec window = more possable up time of the largest +damge ability rangers have access to..

nd if your useing a boar for instances i feel bad for you.. solo questing hes tops, in a group hes fail....

alot of people tryed the stalker for solo questing... works fine long as you have the snare aswell.. but remeber he doesnt have a taunt, hes not your tank pet, dont use him as one.
    and dont complain, when he doesnt preform a job he was NOT built for.

-punt
    sorry but i used my boar in every instance as i could easily off tank elites and keep them off the healers. healers alive > slight DPS increase.

Quote Originally Posted by mardagen View Post
    sorry but i used my boar in every instance as i could easily off tank elites and keep them off the healers. healers alive > slight DPS increase.
    Yeah, tanking with that Boar pet in Deep Strike = dead pet. Saw a few horrible Ranger types try this and the results were less then stellar. I would phathom a guess that as our levels increase and elites become harder and harder that having a pet tank, only to die in 2-5 hits, will be very cumbersome.

Sure the Boar can off-tank in IT and Fae, I tanked both dungeons with my Necromancer. So not something to really brag about, they are low level dungeons. Consider if you will be able to continue "off-tanking" once we get into the expert dungeons, probably not. So if anything you should consider using the wolf and/or cougar for stronger dps and burst when it is required.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

They could have at least made it black or grey or some shadowy color instead of neon orange. It's about the last thing I'd call shadowy.

Telaran

thts funny cause when i parsed DSM as marks pve, ranger pve, sabo pve, and hybrids of them mixed..

ranger by far did most dps on a boss fight. and i went 26 ranger for instant summon of boar for OTing in DSM it lasts about 3 hits but sometimes thats long enough for warrior to get it back...

yes 3% crit is good and 12% more ap i get it.
    but going further down ranger tree is good later 3 points = when pet crits you gain 30% damagefor 15 sec and 26 points gives you 3% crit for pet and you double synergy..

and enhanceing pet damage is good lets say pet is 1/3rd as effective dps as you.. 15% = 5% vs 3% crit and 1% crit is 1% damage unless your kelari then its 1.1% per 1% crit.

also dont forget that you only get 3 souls and if your not takeing 4 or 5 in nightblade for energy return in pve then your loseing out on a free bar of energy every 4 rotations.

i can get comperable stat gains going deeper in one tree, over branching out alot, just to be differnt.

each there own im just saying dont knock it till you really try it..

-punt

+ Reply to Thread