+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multiclassing Weapon and Armor dependencies.

Default Multiclassing Weapon and Armor dependencies.

With various Souls being available per calling, I was wondering how they're going to deal with weapon and armors.

Example. Assassins will most likely use daggers. Rangers and Blade Dancers will most likely use swords. Will you be able to perform Assassin abilities using your Ranger weapons?

Will multiclassing use the greatest weapon and/or armor available or the lowest common denominator between the selected classes?

I hope they don't pull a D&D and have multiclassing/multiple souls have the strengths of none and the weaknesses of all.

I believe all souls in the same calling use the same type of armor.

I beleive all souls will use the same armor, however on a screen shot I saw earlier , on the tooltip of the armor it said ; "Warrior Calling".

I wonder if this could just be what it is, or if this could relate to specific pieces maybe being for specific souls? I really don't have a good guess. This would be a little strange to me to have different sets of armors for callings.

Also, I can guess that when switching souls from Ranger to Asassin,etc they won't be able to use a bow/gun like daggers.

There would be some weapon switches there as well.

That's fine and dandy for armor, as most callings will share armor types.

However, what about weapons?

A paragon is assumed to be the warrior dual wielder.

The champion is a 2 handed melee monster.

Will you be able to use your Paragon abilities while wielding a champion's 2 handed faithful companion?

As well, would you be able to use the champion's abilities while dual wielding?

Soulwalker

the armor is specific to the calling.

warrior: plate
    cleric: chain
    rouge: leather
    mage: cloth

i hope that they either make the ranged weapon a separate slot or have a way to quickly change from range to melee weapons.

Rogues don't have weapon restrictions. In almost every game a rogue can wield a big long sword, axe or daggers. Their just are abilities that require daggers for rogues. I bet they fixed all the classes like that. Have a few abilities with restrictions.

Now that means that you can't just go picking skills that require different weapons, you can, but you'll have to macro it so every attack and use the right weapon and collect more weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindair View Post
    Rogues don't have weapon restrictions. In almost every game a rogue can wield a big long sword, axe or daggers. Their just are abilities that require daggers for rogues. I bet they fixed all the classes like that. Have a few abilities with restrictions.

Now that means that you can't just go picking skills that require different weapons, you can, but you'll have to macro it so every attack and use the right weapon and collect more weapons.

If by "in almost every game" you mean WoW. Its warriors who usually do not have weapon restrictions where Rogues will generally specialize in light, fast weapons. WoW is actually one of the only exceptions to this where you're encouraged to wield a Big heavy slow weapon in 1 hand and a really fast one in your other which is fairly ******ed.

I wouldn't assume to know anything about the gameplay mechanics of Rift.

In a standard MMO such as WoW, you have 1 class. In Rift, you will pick 3 Souls which will blend together to create an Identity, not a class. The closest thing to a class is the calling.

This question is more along the lines of how well will souls within a calling synergize with each other? And when you're multiclassing various souls, how will selected weapons and items come into play regarding abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by kethren View Post
    the armor is specific to the calling.

warrior: plate
    cleric: chain
    rouge: leather
    mage: cloth

i hope that they either make the ranged weapon a separate slot or have a way to quickly change from range to melee weapons.

I am not sure that is the case... this is taken from the Cleric page.
    Equipment

The militant orders gird themselves in chainmail, and march into close combat wielding heavy, two-handed warhammers, or a simple combination of mace and shield. The more arcane priesthoods, meanwhile, wear cloth vestments, brandishing symbols of spiritual power such as staves, tomes, and totems.
    Doesn't this indicate that some cleric souls wear chainmail while others are restricted to cloth type armor??

To hear is to forget, to see is to remember, to do is to understand.

Rift Disciple

I would imagine it will be fairly simple. As someone mentioned before.

Maybe not as simple as warrior plate, rogue chain, etc but it probably has something to do with your skill tree and root skills. The more points you spend in your skill tree might unlock the root abilities which allow you to use different weapons or armor types. Also the abilities you have within your tree will make you want to use those skills such as a paladin will want to use 1h weapon and a shield as they have abilities which use the shield. Otherwise your character would not be fully affective.
    Last edited by Kriddle; 09-01-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Will be interesting to see how much they stick to the traditional fantasy weapon restrictions (i.e. clerics/paladin are crushing, no bladed).
    Characters:
    EQ2 - Najena - Severex
    EQ2 - Najena - Debase
    EQ2 - Nagafen - Acappella
    Eq2Flames.com Handle: Debase

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    Will be interesting to see how much they stick to the traditional fantasy weapon restrictions (i.e. clerics/paladin are crushing, no bladed).
    I'm not sure how much that will stick. Even in EQ which was mostly based on D&D had paladins using swords. Their epic weapon was a sword. Another thing that will make it difficult is choosing cleric/druid combo. Druids use scimitars so then your cleric would be using a scimitar. I doubt they are looking too much at that aspect however they may not give someone who is 100% cleric the ability to use slashing weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    If by "in almost every game" you mean WoW. Its warriors who usually do not have weapon restrictions where Rogues will generally specialize in light, fast weapons. WoW is actually one of the only exceptions to this where you're encouraged to wield a Big heavy slow weapon in 1 hand and a really fast one in your other which is fairly ******ed.

I wouldn't assume to know anything about the gameplay mechanics of Rift.

In a standard MMO such as WoW, you have 1 class. In Rift, you will pick 3 Souls which will blend together to create an Identity, not a class. The closest thing to a class is the calling.

This question is more along the lines of how well will souls within a calling synergize with each other? And when you're multiclassing various souls, how will selected weapons and items come into play regarding abilities.
    In almost every game (yes, that means also vanguard, eq, eq2, etc) you can wield any 1 hander, just like the warrior, ranger and other standard melee class. Monk weapons are usually not available to rogues.

The difference is while a rogue can wield any 1 handed weapon, he needs a dagger to backstab and some other skills.

That will be the same way for this system I assume. You can wield any weapon. So if you don't have backstab skills or don't want to use backstab, you can wield any weapons. If you want to backstab you have to have a dagger in your hands.

You will see the same for warrior souls, where there might be a class that requires a block to activate an attack, 2 handed weapon to deal dmg or dual wield. For warriors it will probably be more of a problem, but you can choose the best combination of skills that will work together.

The most important thing will be that not every soul will work perfectly with every other soul or that some abilities in 1 soul might not work good with abilities in another soul. It will be important to make the build that best fits your character and works, not getting every 2 handed attacks and shield bash attacks, because that just won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindair View Post
    Rogues don't have weapon restrictions. In almost every game a rogue can wield a big long sword, axe or daggers.

DAoC - Midgard Rogues were backstabbing with 2handers - I hated that on so many levels until I made my own lol.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

I imagine it will be necessary for players to go out and get seperate weapons for their other classes. Maybe you need to have daggers for an assassin, and a bow for a hunter, and that means you can switch between them easily. Otherwise, it would hardly be multiclassing, lol!
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Banned

Classes that cross over to multi-class archetypes should still appear to be what they are as their primary calling - and nothing more. It's just under all that wrapping, hidden away, is a fundamentally depthy class with none of that core class limitation - but they still cannot do what core classes can do; i.e. wield weapons beyond their own class mechanic.

The good side to this is that one class of the group may have the full capabilities within the soul tree, whereas another class has some aspect of it that is a complementary, stackable effect.

That above is just what I would think how it might work; because you are going to get classes that have one strength of the same thing, over another, in some variable form - and you wouldn't want them cancelled out.

I like what Nimsul said, "It's an identity, not a class."

If anything, this system would function not too dissimilarly to Lotro's Conjuctions (Fellowship maneuver) and EQ2X's Heroic Opportunity.

Trion's Rift is just approaching Beta - they have plenty of time to absolve any indifference-clashing between classes with multi-class mechanics.
    Last edited by ignitus; 09-02-2010 at 02:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast