+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Clerics!!! Read this! And add!

Ptk
    Telaran

Default Clerics!!! Read this! And add!

A good HEALER is hard to find. I play Clerics in many mmos not because im excited to play one but to prove that it is possible to be a good cleric. Here are a couple tips to playing a cleric

1) Respond to people. Clerics are usually scarce so you will get tons of mssgs asking for party or other. A simple Nty is good.
    2) Heal vs DPS. If you have a bunch of clerics on a team dps is fine. No biggie. If you are the only cleric and you decide that you would rather DPS than heal, go re-roll. Heals are essential to winning battlefronts. I play a Pyro and i have have killed 8 people and escaped with the fang in the first warfront. Only way i did that was because I had a VERY good and smart cleric with me. He followed me healing while i went in fully buffed and aoe down their entire team. Their "clerics"obv failed miserably. CLERICS are essential in any game. I have lost due to clerics chasing after fangs instead of healing the dps.
    3) Bring pots... If the team or group wipes because you dont have mana that is your fault. I dont care that you are poor. Most of us are. BUT BUY SOME DAMN POTS! You can always ask your group for some pots. Im sure when you put it to them Give me pots or wipe, they will preferebly give you pots.
    4) Dont wait till last second to heal. Because every now and again you will accidently let the tank/person recieving heals die. That usually makes them unhappy.
    General tip for everyone in lvl 10-19 warfront. If there is a cleric. running around. DONT CHASE HIM. If he doesnt have the fang theres no point in having 5 people run off after the cleric............ He can just keep healing it will take you forever to catch that leprachaun.

Feel free to add any other Cleric tips. I tend to reroll cleric because ppl just dunno how. hope this helps!

EDIT RAJSTER: I think if the OP changed 'Clerics' to 'Healers' in his first post, then it wouldn't have turn into another "class vs role" discussion. I think either A: The OP is a really good troll, or B the OP isn't aware that other classes can viably heal. At least the thread would've gone in a better direction.

Good point. This Thread is now about HEALERS. Im not telling you how to play a calling, but in warfronts.... Do heal.. I know you dont want to but i can gaurantee you that if i continue my pyro im going to have a chloro build for my party. Incase we might be indanger of wiping in a dungeon or something. Other than that i believe my tips remain solid. There was another good post on the tips about how not to chat. Also a good Post. Ty for the contribution. Other *******s, Stop trolling a serious thread on how to play a good Healer. If You Disagree with me or these tips, instead of contributing nothing by saying I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WASTE MONEY ON POTS! just go ahead and right your own few tips on how to play a good healer. and for those people who say DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO. If you know how to play a healer GOOD 4 U. LEAVE THIS THREAD. Let the people who want to try a Healer have some startup info. Just trying to help. No need to be an unproductive community.
    Last edited by Ptk; 01-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Rift Disciple

Tip. Dont chase halfway across map to heal someone, many times I see people run out of range when Im trying to lay a heal on.

Eventually people will learn to run into healer range.

Arrow

These are pretty solid tips. The only thing I can add is also bring drinks as well as the pots.

I always play healer in any MMORPG and not to sound big headed or anything but I think i'm pretty good

~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

Just remember, Cleric ≠ healer. You're also not the only calling that can main heal, or support heal. If that Chloromancer over there is willing to heal and you prefer to fill another role, let them do it!
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

I go with AoE Heals over time

5/6 Heals over time on all your group at one time is pretty awesome (Especially with Cascade)

~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

Telaran

Be wary of asking for a dps cleric to switch roles and heal for you. There are already enough bad healers out that want to heal I cant expect forcing dps types to switch roles to have a happy ending all the time.

On a side note, why aren't you chasing the fang with the cleric, I've lost numerous matches because people thinking killing in the middle is somehow useful while the fang is run back to their base. Hint they just respawn and then there are even more to fight near the fang.

Quote Originally Posted by Angina B View Post
    Be wary of asking for a dps cleric to switch roles and heal for you. There are already enough bad healers out that want to heal I cant expect forcing dps types to switch roles to have a happy ending all the time.

On a side note, why aren't you chasing the fang with the cleric, I've lost numerous matches because people thinking killing in the middle is somehow useful while the fang is run back to their base. Hint they just respawn and then there are even more to fight near the fang.
    Yeah, that's one aspect of it that makes me nervous. It'll be often that you get that DPS cleric to switch to a heal spec and has no idea how to play it efficiently due to a lack of experience with it. Also a reason why I'm playing a healer, one less thing to worry about.

Ptk
    Telaran

my point was that if there are no other hard heals on the team and you are a cleric. If you care about winning you should switch to hard heals and heal. Its partly courtesy partly logic. Want to win? Need heals? you can heal?? GO DPS GO! I have no issue with clerics going dps and destroying in pvp but there are times that its necsecarry to help the team out. As pyro i know i can go out and rock ppls faces in pvp. But i defend the fang. Why? because its more benificial to the team as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptk View Post
    my point was that if there are no other hard heals on the team and you are a cleric. If you care about winning you should switch to hard heals and heal. Its partly courtesy partly logic. Want to win? Need heals? you can heal?? GO DPS GO! I have no issue with clerics going dps and destroying in pvp but there are times that its necsecarry to help the team out. As pyro i know i can go out and rock ppls faces in pvp. But i defend the fang. Why? because its more benificial to the team as a whole.
    Sooo - if you play a Pyro and the group needs heals, why dont you rock out your Chloro build then

Rift Chaser

On sort of the same topic,

Is a Cleric "Heal Tank" possible?

Something that can keep hate by dropping AoE heals and support stuff. Is it possible to keep hate this way?

Shadowlander

3) Bring pots... If the team or group wipes because you dont have mana that is your fault. I dont care that you are poor. Most of us are. BUT BUY SOME DAMN POTS! You can always ask your group for some pots. Im sure when you put it to them Give me pots or wipe, they will preferebly give you pots.
    Please do not go around telling Clerics to buy potions. If you require Clerics to be a healer, then support them. There are several classes that can aid in the power area. I am going to guess you were not in the betas because potions get really expensive and are not needed. Don't put an extreme financial burden on the Clerics because you are not willing to change your spec a tad. For example - 6points in Stormcaller will give you a group power/energy regen. Just look around and move a few points to save your local healer some money.

General tip for everyone in lvl 10-19 warfront. If there is a cleric. running around. DONT CHASE HIM. If he doesnt have the fang theres no point in having 5 people run off after the cleric............ He can just keep healing it will take you forever to catch that leprachaun.
    This is not really accurate my party was burning Healers down pretty easy in War fronts. Since without good CC, another healer or two, you pretty much can't stop a bunch of mages/archers/teleporting rogues from slaying your Healer in 3-6seconds. They should be high on the list of targets. One snare is almost always all you need to catch them. There are certain souls that can deal with this sort of thing but for the most part they don't think about it or spec for it. (at least not yet)
    Last edited by Gathmuredin; 01-17-2011 at 05:08 PM.

@ the OP:

Number one: It is nt for you to tell me how to play ...
    Number two: See number One...

Apologies if that sounds rude, but it is not meant to be. Please read on:

I play a DPS based Cleric. That is not to say that I cannot heal, nor does it mean that I cannot buff/debuff. If you invite me to your group, I will inform you that I am specced for DPS. If that is a problem, then I can either change roles, if I need to, or I can turn you down. Either way, I am not going to tell you that "You're a Mage! You have to Nuke!" any more than I am going to tell a Warrior "You're the Tank, so Tank!" In this game, the traditional roles of the Holy Quad are completely up to the players. Even Warrios have a heal (not too shabby, I might add) and Rogues can Tank. Mages can nuke/buff/debuff/cc and heal, and Clerics can heal, buff/debuff, or spank tha tank, so please, I implore you, don't tell me how to play my calling.
    "If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them" - Richard Bach
    "Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness..." - Anonymous

Great list of help for new players! Click Here!

Trion created these classes so that they would have variety and be flexible. So if you are a mage, you CAN heal. And if you are a cleric, you can dps if you want to. If you weren't meant to be able to choose different roles then they wouldn't have created this system to begin with. People should play whatever role they feel most comfortable in. I'm going to be a cleric and I will be healing just because that's what I actually like. I do it in other mmos and I plan on doing it in Rift. However, I totally accept other clerics who might want to dps as a shaman based build or inquisitor.
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 01-17-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Removed the quote

Aside from the things you mentioned in the OP, a HUGE factor in being a good HEALER is giving the party your full attention and respect.

NO CHATTING!! Chat death is rampant in all games.

Scenario:
    Tank dies
    Healer: "No I like big ones!"
    Tank: "?"
    Healer:"MT"
    Tank: "-.-"

NO AFK!!!! At least tell your party what you are up to so someone can cover for you.

Scenario:
    Tank dies
    Tank: "?"
    (30 seconds later)
    Healer:" Oh sry needed a drink."
    Tank:"You couldn't tell us?"
    Healer:"You told me not to chat >.>"
    Tank:"-.- /headdesk"

Communication is key though. Make sure everyone knows their roles before hand and is comfortable filling them. With such huge diversity within Rift, communicating your needs and expectations will greatly help your parties success. In PVE find out who will be main tank during boss fights and if you will have an off tank or CC. In PVP find what role you are expected to undertake and who you will be in charge of healing. I love being a healer and love it more when the party works as a team. It makes my job much easier!
    Last edited by Mylo; 01-17-2011 at 05:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast