+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Marksman and Ranger Soul Mixing

Default Question about Marksman and Ranger Soul Mixing

My question is, if I get some Ranger skills but want to focus on Marksman, can i still use my "gun" with the Ranger skills or do they have to be performed with a bow? In other words, do the Ranger ranged attacks have to be performed with a bow or do they work with the Marksman weapons too?

Quote Originally Posted by Efstratios View Post
    My question is, if I get some Ranger skills but want to focus on Marksman, can i still use my "gun" with the Ranger skills or do they have to be performed with a bow? In other words, do the Ranger ranged attacks have to be performed with a bow or do they work with the Marksman weapons too?
    Both souls can use guns or bows afaik.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

With that said, would you guys recommend using a firearm or a bow? Is it that the guns do more damage per hit but have a slower firing rate compared to bows?

Which does more DPS right now, the Marksman or Ranger? I would imagine that the Marksman does more DPS (or at least pure ranged dps) since his soul tree is focused on pure ranged damage, while the Ranger's overall damage is influenced by the use of a pet. So when talking about pure ranged dps and ignoring pet damage, the Marksman does more damage. Is this the case?

I want to make a pure ranged rogue but I'm unsure whether to focus on the Marksman with Ranger skills as secondary or vice versa.
    Last edited by Efstratios; 01-17-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Use whichever gives you more dps and the stats you need. There wasn't any noticeable difference in attack speeds that I saw.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

PvE there is no difrance in PvP the trail of the arrow gives away your postion to the enemys, Guns are very loud and can give away your position. how ever most players in PvP have game sound turned off so thay can talk with out noice clutter on teamspeed/ventrilo. or play there own music.

Is it really true that both Marksman and Ranger do pretty much the same overall dps? How would that be balanced when you take into account that the Ranger also has a pet? Are you saying the overall DPS is about the same, including pet damage, or ranged damage alone?

Honestly ranger is more about quick shots that don't do much burst and his pet helps give an extra boost in sustained DPS. Overall the ranger would be best for solo PvE *imo* but the marksman by far has better burst, you just have to cast it, can't be within melee ranged, and has no pet. So you can't take mobs as easily and it makes you pretty vulnerable once they get within range.

For PvP it's up to you, pet's can die pretty easily from what I've played but not TOO easily so it's a preference really.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Soulwalker

The ranger should pull ahead since he has 30% more damage from prey on the weak, another 5 from bestial fury, 4% from killing focus, an armor debuff that can get upto 60% more pen and the amazing 5/5 doubleshot. and this is before pet dps.

What does marksmen offer you? Off the top of my head, the pedestal, and lightning fury for about 20% total. You DO get rapid fire shot for an extra 30% weapon speed, but you really need an armor debuff to make use of this damage.

Marksmen is really more of a mobility/cc sort of soul. Ranger should pull out ahead since it has more damage multipliers, an armor debuff, and an auxiliary fire and forget source of dps.

+ Reply to Thread