+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger (Pet focused) / Bard / Riftstalker build - PvE

Default Ranger (Pet focused) / Bard / Riftstalker build - PvE

So I enjoy pet classes, and specced my Defiant Rogue into a Ranger/Bard combination this last beta. I found it pretty enjoyable - just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion.

I'm looking at going deep into the Ranger tree for the Raptor pet, and far enough into Bard to get a few good fanfares/motifs. I then threw the remainder into Riftstalker to be tanky enough if my pet goes down or is rendered non-effective somehow, and for a couple melee combos/finishers. This is all built around a PvE-focused plan, with high solo survivability, but also good group synergy (buffs, off-tank, DPS).

Please let me know any thoughts on the build, what you'd do differently, etc. I'm totally open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Raolin; 01-17-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.2GHz | RAM: 4GB Patriot ViperII DDR2 1066 (5-5-5-15) | Video: Gigabyte GV-R5870C-1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB | Sound: Realtek Audio HD | HDD: 2xWDC 640GB Black (AALS) | PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

OK.. appreantly that was not a popular build (I still think it's a nice solo/group PvE build)..

How about a Focused-DPS, ranged (group) Rogue build?

Talk to me Goose
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.2GHz | RAM: 4GB Patriot ViperII DDR2 1066 (5-5-5-15) | Video: Gigabyte GV-R5870C-1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB | Sound: Realtek Audio HD | HDD: 2xWDC 640GB Black (AALS) | PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Soulwalker

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I am confused by how you mean to play with these builds.

Personally, I have never thought of a Bard as anything but the MAIN soul, but by no means can it not be a 2ndary. I just think it's best used as the main.

I actually played a Bard/Ranger/Riftstalker all through Beta 4 and had a great time. I would recommend changing those 3 points from the 1st branch attack power and putting them into the 30% more effective heals. Since you have the healing cadence it will be huge.

As for the 2nd build, I've never been a fan of mixing melee and range in the same role to the extent you did with so many points in the melee. Sure, there might be instances where you are going to get caught in a melee situation, but alot of the sin abilities come from stealth. I would recommend having a more pure range role and a more pure melee role that you can switch to when you need.

Again, it's all my opinion.
    Last edited by dkyzar; 01-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks for linking this build I have been looking at the ranger class closely as something I would want to play, so this is good info of how to mix it with other skills.

How did you find it working for you if the mob came into close quarters?
    System: Asus G73Sw Laptop, Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs) Memory: 8192MB RAM. Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 4063 MB Memory. Direct X 11. OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Administrator for Riftrp.Net, the official affiliated Roleplay forum

Quote Originally Posted by emeraven View Post
    Thanks for linking this build I have been looking at the ranger class closely as something I would want to play, so this is good info of how to mix it with other skills.

How did you find it working for you if the mob came into close quarters?
    The Rifstalker points gave me enough tank ability for up-close mobs if I had to.. it's not meant to be a straight-up melee tree.. it just gives me some extra abilities after the mob closes. When I played it at level 23, the Riftstalker addition helped a LOT. I didn't have to *worry* about things closing.. I was still able to handle them.

When it comes down to it, you want to be standing back and let your tank pet do it's thing, but this feels like a nice compromise - Buffs + pet + DPS.. it feels pretty good.

Still totally open to comments.

All that said, that second build I linked is more a PvE group build (DPS/Crit build). It's more meant for a party-based build. Curious what people think about that as well.

I guess maybe these builds just aren't worth talking about. :|

I think the issue is more that by trying to cover all the bases, you wind up doing not very well at anything in particular.
    If you want to make a ranged class with a pet, make one. Don't worry about "having enough melee" to stand your ground.
    Instead, look for the tools to get back into range and do what you do best.

Yeah, jack of all trades makes you master of none. I'm more of a focused build is more efective type person, isnce you'll have multiple build slots at lvl 50. So why not take advantage of it. Your build is fine for solo pve though. Can't go wrong there.
    Last edited by Vadar; 01-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.

I do understand the desire to make a "capable of anything" build for levelling up, I usually do that in games too.
    But I think in Rift we'll need to change the way we think about "classes" in the late-game.
    If you don't think your pointy-stick-flinger can survive the pull he's about to make, the ability to competently swing stabby-steel is one button click away.

/agree with others.

The following build is a revision to your suggested 2nd build:

In PvE especially, you need to focus on one thing, and do it really good. If i'm confined to these 3 souls only to make a group PvE build it would look something like this: http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...19,5_&lang=eng

in group PvE, you pretty much want to sacrifice all of your survivability for damage, as your group should never let you get hit. The build i linked is unconventional, as it relies on crits, which usually isn't great for sustained damage. However, the build gives so much + crit (+15%), that with decent gear you should be critting things like crazy. I would probably use this build for solo PvE (if confined to these 3 souls, personally i would never PvE without Nightblade :P) as well, you'd be killing things FAST.

Oh and brownie points for not including Crossfire in your original build. It's the most overrated, trashy move (for PvE) ever, yet i see it in like 90% of all MM PvE builds

Edit: forgot to explain why Cloak and Dagger is in the build... I had to put 3 points into something in order to access higher talents in the tree. i tried forgoing the rest of the tree in favor of more ranger talents, but what i gained in ranger didn't make up for what i lost in Assasin (essentially 5%crit and 10% damage)
    Last edited by Defacian; 01-18-2011 at 04:17 AM.
    Bubbrubb / Eastern of <Missionary Impossible>

Plane Touched

Pet's are useless at end game pve in almost all mmo's and I bet rift won't be different of course that bosses will use aoe skills a lot...
    If my role in the group is off heal+ buffs :
    bard/marksman/nighblade.

for pure dps i'll be using something like this:

marksman/ranger/sin

Quote Originally Posted by Punisheer View Post
    Pet's are useless at end game pve in almost all mmo's and I bet rift won't be different of course that bosses will use aoe skills a lot...
    If my role in the group is off heal+ buffs :
    bard/marksman/nighblade.

for pure dps i'll be using something like this:

marksman/ranger/sin
    Nice pve build, I like it.

For a pet focused support build with a good bit of damage I would go this direction :
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...19,5_&lang=eng

If you want more damage but still want a pet focused build, I'd go with this personally :
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...19,5_&lang=eng

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nightchrome View Post
    I think the issue is more that by trying to cover all the bases, you wind up doing not very well at anything in particular.
    If you want to make a ranged class with a pet, make one. Don't worry about "having enough melee" to stand your ground.
    Instead, look for the tools to get back into range and do what you do best.
    I agree, *unless* you enjoy doing 80% of your damage ranged, and, like me from my WoW Hunter days, you like to get dirty finishing off your enemy yourself.

I specced BM in WoW *once*. I always enjoyed the Survival a.k.a. Ranger build, so I think I see what you're up to.

If you take Assassin for 5% crit, you get that with ranged and melee, and you also get poison for your arrows. *And* you get to stab enemies to death who manage to crawl their way to your feet. BD goes better if you want that Legolas feel to your Ranger, but Assassin provides perfect synergy.

Sound fun?
    Last edited by Atar; 01-18-2011 at 08:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread