+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How's this: Pet focused / lightning based PvE build.

Default How's this: Pet focused / lightning based PvE build.

23 Storm / 43 Ele / 0 Chloro (simply for spores)

http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...nts=0&lang=eng
    Last edited by NovemEnuma; 01-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Pulled over by woman cop... Didn't know kitchen had speed limit.

Seems good for PvE, it lacks a little bit of survivability but your a mage so you should be fine lol

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Quote Originally Posted by Korncob View Post
    Seems good for PvE, it lacks a little bit of survivability but your a mage so you should be fine lol
    Anything you could recommend to increase survivability?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by NovemEnuma View Post
    Anything you could recommend to increase survivability?
    Personally I think this is a pretty good build and may try something similar next beta. The air spells between SC and elementalist work well together. I think the survivability is as good as you'll get with a mage with the elemental pets.

The primary issue that I see is that you won't be able to maintain a high DPS rotation using only Air-based spells. Lightning Strike is awesome DPS, but it has a 10 second cooldown. Thunderbolt is terrible DPS because its primary use is setting up your Electrified debuff stack so you can spam Cloudburst (which is a Water-based spell). The only other spammable Air-based DPS spells you have are Forked Lightning and Lightning Field, both of which are intended for AoE purposes and will suck up mana like there's no tomorrow while doing poor DPS in single-target situations.

I guess the question is: do you mind spamming water-based Cloudburst for the majority of your damage against elite targets? Non-elites will most likely be dead (or nearly dead) by the time you get to Cloudburst.

Quote Originally Posted by vortz83 View Post
    Personally I think this is a pretty good build and may try something similar next beta. The air spells between SC and elementalist work well together. I think the survivability is as good as you'll get with a mage with the elemental pets.
    As this guy said I honestly think you'd hate it if you went more survivability since you have pets that can tank for you if need be. There's a shield on the 2nd tier of elemental that is part of what I was talking about, but I'd only bother if you are going to be PvP'ing a bit or in a fight where you might get aggro.

Is what I would do for more survivability. Took away a point in charged and Inductance for a spell that cleanses you of all CC with 1m cd (as well as from your pet) instant cast as well as an instant cast shield that absorbs a good amount of damage then I used the 2nd point for fiery assault because it didn't seem like you had any charge consuming damage spells worth using yet you had a talent for getting an extra 3 charge everytime your pet attacks.

Again though your losing 5% crit chance/damage and 3% extra damage buff from electrified so it's a preference.

@ Above she also has electrocute, though it has a 30 second cooldown, and raging storm, which is 20 second cooldown. So honestly you'd have to do both ice and lightning for good DPS and you'd really need to change your spec to be more oriented for stormcaller rather than elemental if your wanting more lightning but if your wanting your pet to be really beefy then you'll probably want to stay elemental. Oh and don't worry about your mana you have 3 mana regening abilities.
    Last edited by Korncob; 01-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korncob View Post
    As this guy said I honestly think you'd hate it if you went more survivability since you have pets that can tank for you if need be. There's a shield on the 2nd tier of elemental that is part of what I was talking about, but I'd only bother if you are going to be PvP'ing a bit or in a fight where you might get aggro.

Is what I would do for more survivability. Took away a point in charged and Inductance for a spell that cleanses you of all CC with 1m cd (as well as from your pet) instant cast as well as an instant cast shield that absorbs a good amount of damage then I used the 2nd point for fiery assault because it didn't seem like you had any charge consuming damage spells worth using yet you had a talent for getting an extra 3 charge everytime your pet attacks.

Again though your losing 5% crit chance/damage and 3% extra damage buff from electrified so it's a preference.
    What exactly do "charges" do in Rift? (Sorry I am somewhat new to Rift, this is my "first attempt" character).

Quote Originally Posted by NovemEnuma View Post
    What exactly do "charges" do in Rift? (Sorry I am somewhat new to Rift, this is my "first attempt" character).
    Charge is the bar under your mana, most abilities gives you charge and some of them use it it's kind of like rage.

Prophet of Telara

I played an Ele/SC/Dom build in the last beta up to level 23 I think it was. I was fairly evenly balanced between Ele/SC in terms of points (0 pts in Dom). I've posted this many times now, so this is obviously a build that looks on paper like it's going to be great... but I have to tell you that the overall damage was a little underwhelming.

It's the SC side that really lets you down on damage. Everything comes with crowd control or 'electrify' effect added - and as a result seems to lack in damage. But at least for the first 25 levels or so, the only thing that really takes advantage of all those electrify effects is Cloudburst - which is a bit pew pew and not so much Bang! Bang!.

My overall feeling was that I was doing damage like a DoT-Mage... but as one big DoT and I was having to personally cast each hit of the DoT and couldn't do anything else in the meantime. It was just flat consistent damage with very little in the way of really big bursts or walloping big hits from time to time. Burning Ground is really the only spell that makes you get a bit excited.

Don't get me wrong though.... it was great fun and I enjoyed levelling him. There was little that I couldn't take on, certainly nothing from the quests. And he did very nice AoE damage at rifts/invasions... just not great AoE damage. One thing that may affect my opinion is that I don't like kiting playstyles - and of course with a bunch of AoEs that include snares and roots etc... the SC may just suit AoE Kiting playstyles... although, I hear that the diminishing returns on roots/stuns/snares may make that approach less effective than it sounds.

He was just all in all a bit... lacklustre on the damage side though, for my tastes.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-17-2011 at 12:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread