+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blade Dancer - Rogue Tank or PVP focused?

Default Blade Dancer - Rogue Tank or PVP focused?

From the information we've gathered on the blade dancer, it would appear that a number of their abilities are based on when they get attacked.

As what appears to be a Damage oriented Soul, I'm wondering what the focus of the blade dancer is going to be.

As it would appear that one of their focuses are attacks and counter attacks based on dodges and parries, are they meant to be an evasion tank within the Rogue Tree? This would obviously be good for soloing and PVP where you're going to get attacked regardless.

In PVE, if one of their strengths is being attacked and they're not meant to tank at all, how will they make use of this class feature without taking a hit to their effectiveness.

So do you think they're primarily a PVP focused Soul, A potential chance at an evasion tank, or that these class features won't be class defining and won't affect them in end game PVE encounters such as raids?

Another thing that appears to be made focus on is how they appear to be very good at bursty damage, being able to accelerate very quickly but once their fury is spent they are at a significant disadvantage.

If thats the case, then in the lore, how did the fabled Edge Dancer continue to kick arse for 10 days without spending her fury?!

The focus on whats great about the class is iffy, but It definitely has aspects I'm really looking forward to.
    Last edited by Nimsul; 08-30-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: additional text.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    From the information we've gathered on the blade dancer, it would appear that a number of their abilities are based on when they get attacked.

As what appears to be a Damage oriented Soul, I'm wondering what the focus of the blade dancer is going to be.

As it would appear that one of their focuses are attacks and counter attacks based on dodges and parries, are they meant to be an evasion tank within the Rogue Tree? This would obviously be good for soloing and PVP where you're going to get attacked regardless.

In PVE, if one of their strengths is being attacked and they're not meant to tank at all, how will they make use of this class feature without taking a hit to their effectiveness.

So do you think they're primarily a PVP focused Soul, A potential chance at an evasion tank, or that these class features won't be class defining and won't affect them in end game PVE encounters such as raids?

Another thing that appears to be made focus on is how they appear to be very good at bursty damage, being able to accelerate very quickly but once their fury is spent they are at a significant disadvantage.

If thats the case, then in the lore, how did the fabled Edge Dancer continue to kick arse for 10 days without spending her fury?!

The focus on whats great about the class is iffy, but It definitely has aspects I'm really looking forward to.
    Yeah the class looks interesting to me as well. Where is the info on it at? I saw it at Gamescom but didn't' video.

The Edge Dancer was a High Elf, so she just used her racial every 5 minutes - that's how she made it for 10 days!

A wiki is only as good as its contributors Ė won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Rift Disciple

I'm really interested in that class also, and I'd like to play it in a PVE context.
    I hope it works as a tank, at least against a single target. That would give great variety to the rogue class (which is already quite varied, I know), and would also ease the "party looking for tank" problem, so constant in every mmo

I also hope that it is a tank class, so that rouges do not have to depend on other people, like warriors or healers to have protection from them.

For people like me, i like being a rogue, but am also a very independent person.

The soul looks extremely interesting. I'm curious to how it will come into PvP and PvE as well.

Nothing better then seeing a rogue tank on big ol mobs and everybody switching heals to you!

I have looked through all the souls and this is one of them that I'd just need to wait for more information and see what kind of playstyle it truly is. There are such a variety of combinations!!

I'm starting to doubt it's a tank class, considering Riftstalker seems to have taken that particular crown. Although there's no doubting the first few tiers would be pretty useful for an avoidance tank. I have them written down somewhere around here...
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

It sounds somewhat similar to a Combat specced Rogue from WoW, which was a solo/PvP spec (well also DPS spec at some point).

I truly hope though, that they don't do the same mistake as in Aion, where the real tank class (Templars) got screwed over by the devs, and gladiators and assasins were preferred over templars. For me, this issue in Aion was a disaster and the biggest reason for me abandoning the game and my templar.

If rogues can tank in Rift, it MUST be in a way so that they tank WORSE than a tank-specced Warrior. This means the combined performance as a tank of survivability, aggro management and DPS. Tank worse simply means, a true tank should be preferred in the tank role.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I'm starting to doubt it's a tank class, considering Riftstalker seems to have taken that particular crown. Although there's no doubting the first few tiers would be pretty useful for an avoidance tank. I have them written down somewhere around here...
    What information do you have on the Riftstalker class? I haven't heard anything on them yet. And there will most likely be more than 1 rogue class that can accomplish the same objective differently.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by charlionfire View Post
    If rogues can tank in Rift, it MUST be in a way so that they tank WORSE than a tank-specced Warrior. This means the combined performance as a tank of survivability, aggro management and DPS. Tank worse simply means, a true tank should be preferred in the tank role.
    Why "must" it be that way ?

The whole point of souls is that you can have variety, you can try new ways to do things.
    Why do you have to tank if you play a warrior ? What if you prefer to dps, but like warriors' gameplay better ? Should that be anathema ?
    So what's wrong with having other callings do that too ? Especially if it is done in a different way, not less effective, but maybe more adapted to some situations, while not incapable of dealing with any other ?
    Why not have mage-tanks, or cleric-tanks ?

Why this need to have everything in little boxes ? Can't we be a little more original, a little more open-minded ?

Simply saying "It must be that way because it was that way before" is not much of a justification. More like fossilisation.

Quote Originally Posted by deiop View Post
    Why "must" it be that way ?

The whole point of souls is that you can have variety, you can try new ways to do things.
    Why do you have to tank if you play a warrior ? What if you prefer to dps, but like warriors' gameplay better ? Should that be anathema ?
    So what's wrong with having other callings do that too ? Especially if it is done in a different way, not less effective, but maybe more adapted to some situations, while not incapable of dealing with any other ?
    Why not have mage-tanks, or cleric-tanks ?

Why this need to have everything in little boxes ? Can't we be a little more original, a little more open-minded ?

Simply saying "It must be that way because it was that way before" is not much of a justification. More like fossilisation.
    *sigh* Ok, I will try to explain. You can have 2 scenarios for 2 callings X vs Y. Either there are combination(s) in the Y calling that does more DPS than combination(s ) in the X Calling, OR they balance it so that the max-dps combinations in each calling do exactly the same amount of DPS.

If calling Y has combinations that do more DPS AND can tank equally good or better than calling X, then many people in calling X would be pissed because calling Y is better on everything. There is a class breakdown for a purpose, one group excels in tanking, two in DPS, and one in healing. That doesn't mean that there can't be tanks in calling Y and DDs in calling X, just they can't outperform the other calling at what it is supposed to be better at.

What happend in Aion, as my fear stems from, was that the tank class was useless - his role could be filled much better by DPS classes.

It doesn't have to be like that, but the balance issues if they try to do it otherwise is going to be impossible.

I think I would enjoy the class better if it was a rogue tank of sorts relying on dodge/evasion and counter attacks. I love the idea of having people think twice before trying to use their "One Shot" ability. Make them think "Did he pop his evasion/dodge skill yet?" Hopefully they will at least give the blade dancer an option to do this if they would like, of course to be effective at this you would have to take a knock in DPS output for survivability. Like in Aion the chanter could be a beast if you stackced enough evasion and make a pretty decent tank, more practical for PVP though. I just hope there will be flexibility between each sub class as a whole. I want at least 2-3 different ways to build an effective blade dancer.

+ Reply to Thread