+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Rogue DPS Build?

Shadowlander

Default Thoughts on Rogue DPS Build?

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=2...19,5_&lang=eng

I'm going to test out this rogue in the next beta. I built it based around critical damage and energy return. Has anyone tried something like this? Any suggestions?

Shadowlander

Default oh my god!

no Blind? No improved Stealth, no vanish??? You gotta be kidding!

Why even play an Assassin? You are taking away what makes the character.... if you want just DPS roll a Warrior!

Not taking cc is really stupid on top of ignoring stealth...

Shadowlander

Improved stealth - I still have regular stealth. Not sure why I would need to be in stealth until cancelled, just seems lazy mostly.

Blind - I wanted it but not at the expense of other talents.

vanish - same as with blind.

Shadowlander

Default regular stealth

regular stealth is what? 30 seconds? Good luck!

Seems to me you havent played a Rogue before...

You are a glass cannon, when you are visible and people get the opener on you you are toast! especially when you dont have a crowd control and no vanish...

Tell me why you dont get a warrior? it has all you want but better?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by El Tigre View Post

Why even play an Assassin? You are taking away what makes the character.... if you want just DPS roll a Warrior!

He's building a DPS build. None of those abilities provide ANY DPS at all.

To the OP, looks solid. I'm more of a range Rogue myself. Have you thought about putting 5 points into the Saboteur for 15% more Dex over the +5 Crit in the Ranger? It might benefit you more. I haven't tested this yet to confirm the effects of 15% more Dex.

Shadowlander

@ Konji A rogue without stealth for DPS is a warrior.... just a worse version cause a warrior has better DPS and better Armor... but they dont have stealth... now our friend here decides to build a rogue dps , while he would be better off with a warrior dps...

Rift Master

regular stealth is what? 30 seconds? Good luck!

Seems to me you havent played a Rogue before...

You are a glass cannon, when you are visible and people get the opener on you you are toast! especially when you dont have a crowd control and no vanish...

Tell me why you dont get a warrior? it has all you want but better?
    I see the problem here.. You assume the OP is talking about PVP. He never said he was ever planning for PVP.

Rift Master

@ Konji A rogue without stealth for DPS is a warrior.... just a worse version cause a warrior has better DPS and better Armor... but they dont have stealth... now our friend here decides to build a rogue dps , while he would be better off with a warrior dps...
    Thats not true. My Saboteur doesn't use any soul that has stealth and does crazy DPS. In fact my PVP build doesn't have stealth either. It's all about in your face DPS and survivability.

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...nts=0&lang=eng

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    He's building a DPS build. None of those abilities provide ANY DPS at all.

To the OP, looks solid. I'm more of a range Rogue myself. Have you thought about putting 5 points into the Saboteur for 15% more Dex over the +5 Crit in the Ranger? It might benefit you more. I haven't tested this yet to confirm the effects of 15% more Dex.
    Thanks, my point exactly.

I asked in another thread somewhere if it would be more beneficial for crits to have the +5% crit chance or +15% dex, no one seemed sure so for now I am sticking with the crit chance.

Also, the statement was correct that I'm not going for PvP at all, just PvE.

I have played rogues before, in this game. I had another assassin build but this is an improvement over it, and also tried blade dancer and ranger, along with most of the warrior souls (and mage souls). I'm not new, but thanks.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    Thats not true. My Saboteur doesn't use any soul that has stealth and does crazy DPS. In fact my PVP build doesn't have stealth either. It's all about in your face DPS and survivability.

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...nts=0&lang=eng
    Let me see: Survivability - aehm EXACTLY! Vanish, Blind, improved stealth that is what? Remind me - survivability thats right.

Saboteur is not a melee character at all so thats diffrent!

But you got one thing right: I was thinking PvP, thats all I care about ;)

Shadowlander

Let me see: Survivability - aehm EXACTLY! Vanish, Blind, improved stealth that is what? Remind me - survivability thats right.

Saboteur is not a melee character at all so thats diffrent!

But you got one thing right: I was thinking PvP, thats all I care about ;)
    I don't really see how stealth adds to survivability? Once you use attack you're out of it, which I plan on doing anyway for openers but doesn't add to survivability. Blind, yes I see your point but like I said I didn't want to sacrifice any talent that would add to my DPS.

Besides, if I kill it fast enough, that's enough survivability for me
    Last edited by vortz83; 01-17-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Shield of Telara

Blind, Vanish, and Stealth add nothing to dps in PvE, El Tigre. Why would he pick them up if his focus is just DPS and not utility/survivability. This is obviously a build for when in group. He doesnt sound like a noob that is just randomly picking skills. A rogue w/o stealth is not a warrior. It still plays like a rogue has the rogue abilities just no stealth. If you are running through a dungeon/raid when do you need more than 30s stealth in most cases?

P.S. People who only care about PvP should play PvPcentric games. And not sit on forums commenting on other peoples PvE builds with no idea what they are talking about.
    Last edited by BlackZilla; 01-17-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZilla View Post
    Blind, Vanish, and Stealth add nothing to dps in PvE, El Tigre. Why would he pick them up if his focus is just DPS and not utility/survivability. This is obviously a build for when in group. He doesnt sound like a noob that is just randomly picking skills. A rogue w/o stealth is not a warrior. It still plays like a rogue has the rogue abilities just no stealth. If you are running through a dungeon/raid when do you need more than 30s stealth in most cases?
    Everybody is technically a noob for now I have been around since beta 1 though. And yes, my idea was high DPS in group scenarios.

Edit: But it should solo well enough too.
    Last edited by vortz83; 01-17-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Hello OP.

I've taken a long, hard look at this build - mostly because it looks a lot like a few of my own experimental creations.

However, I don't have to look long before thinking no, no, no!

Let's try our best to analyze a few things. There's very little personal utility. No blind or Imp stealth - neither of which is a problem. As already stated, these don't up your DPS anyway. And it's DPS you want, I take it?

Hm. 2 points in subterfuge. This offers no extra DPS - simply a mild increase in burst. This is worthless for lengthy battles, and barely any good for the shorts ones. - Similar things can be said for the 3 points in Cloak and Dagger, although this is not as severe.

Over to the blade dancer tree. Dodge chance? Hm. Yes, it works well with Strike back. However, the 6 point total spent on this combo only benefits solo-play, and once more, only to a mild degree. - It's useless for grouping, and raiding, also not such a big DPS increase, since it leaves it up to the mob to DPS. It would also only work against Melee mobs.

Then further up the tree we see vivacity. Sure, extra energy is handy, but once more, this is a burst thing. It's not a DPS talent. - so let's free up those points too.

Now, what are we missing? Hm. Assassin tree holds a lot of potential.

Murderous intent? Must have. High DPS increase.
    Poison potency? Same deal.
    However, the most important thing in the whole Assassin tree has been overlooked. - Poison Mastery.

There is a poison that gives you back energy upon striking! More poison proc, more energy, more DPS. So let's take the points we removed earlier, and stick them in these slots instead. Now let's have a look at what we've got.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=2...19,5_&lang=eng

Oh, and before I forget. I also stuck the backstab point elsewhere. In flash of steel. You use Savage strike to get combo points, not backstab. Sav Strike deals 15% more Damage from behind anyway, due to talents. Flash gives twice the CP, and can be used to chase/root fleeing mobs (or players).

EDIT: Remember that Strike Back is useful when used with Side Steps! The two points in +% dodge are merely fillers.

I hope you find this useful!
    Last edited by Avvien; 01-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Plane Touched

Default Be nice.

Relax. Let's keep the forums polite, please. Calling people names isn't productive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast