+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pets and mages

Default pets and mages

Wanted to ask more experianced in mage calling players - elementalist and necro do have pets to tank for them.
    Other classes do not have tose personal tanks, so...
    Questions are -
    is stormcaller`s hipotermia enough to hold mobs away at solo?
    Is pyro`s burst dam enough to kill fast, and survive out of group?
    Are warlock`s self-heals enough to tank by himself?

Prophet of Telara

is stormcaller`s hipotermia enough to hold mobs away at solo?
    Not really... but they can buy you enough time to deal with stuff.
    is pyro`s burst dam enough to kill fast, and survive out of group?
    Yes on the whole.
    Are warlock`s self-heals enough to tank by himself?
    I wouldn't call it tanking... but yup his heals will help him to get by
    But... you've missed the point of the Rift class system. Outside of the Beginner Zone, where all souls can solo pretty easily, you never have to play just one soul. You can have up to 3 souls in any one build and mix and match their abilities, by investing points differently in each.

So a Stormcaller or Pyro, could easily add an Elementalist soul, which gives you a tanking pet for no points invested. A Warlock might prefer to add a Necro soul, which also gives you a pet for no points invested... but fits better with the Warlock's death damage type. Or any of them might choose to add a Dominator soul, which gives you a sort of mez for no points invested.

So none of the souls you mention would really need to solo without pets or crowd control or whatever... they can get those abilities from the other souls you choose for their build.

X

Just wanted to think on "main" soul i want to be next beta.
    as max lev is 30 that makesi t 40 pts.
    And those sholde be spent wize..
    So thinking on the chances of each build.

Prophet of Telara

Yes... but you can get the Necro and Ele pets with no points investment.

X

Plane Touched

The ultimate "Mage Tank!"
    Ok so its your pet thats tanking but still this looks pretty awesome.

Telaran

As a Stormcaller/Necro/Warlock, I found I was able to solo incredibly well - was able to take down a major rift and foothold solo...
    That said, if I take my Necro pet out of the equation, I still think I would have been able to do fairly well. Between Stormcaller's Hypothermia + Electrocute (knockback) mobs would rarely be able to do much to me before I zapped them to ashes. And if I did take damage, the Warlock's Life Leech would do the trick for getting me health on the fly .

Is a pet soul (Necro/Elementalist) helpful? Definitely (especially since the pets require you to spend NO points in the soul to use).
    Is it necessary? No, you can do without, just makes it a little bit more challenging and restrictive (gotta get your rotation through perfectly or take some hits)

Quote Originally Posted by dchaosblade View Post
    As a Stormcaller/Necro/Warlock, I found I was able to solo incredibly well - was able to take down a major rift and foothold solo...
    That said, if I take my Necro pet out of the equation, I still think I would have been able to do fairly well. Between Stormcaller's Hypothermia + Electrocute (knockback) mobs would rarely be able to do much to me before I zapped them to ashes. And if I did take damage, the Warlock's Life Leech would do the trick for getting me health on the fly .

Is a pet soul (Necro/Elementalist) helpful? Definitely (especially since the pets require you to spend NO points in the soul to use).
    Is it necessary? No, you can do without, just makes it a little bit more challenging and restrictive (gotta get your rotation through perfectly or take some hits)
    Thanks for info, thou as i thought 0 pt pets are weak and don`t level above some point.
    Last edited by Xellos; 01-17-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Prophet of Telara

0 pt pets are certainly not weak. As far as I know they definitely level to at least level 30 and they may level further... They're certainly good pets until round level 23 where I got to in last beta.

X

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    0 pt pets are certainly not weak. As far as I know they definitely level to at least level 30 and they may level further... They're certainly good pets until round level 23 where I got to in last beta.

X
    nice thing to know, thanks

Tbh, it's much faster to level with a dps pet as a necro, and tank all the mobs yourself. Your healing abilities allow you to pull 3-5 regular solo mobs at a time and aoe them down quickly.

Telaran

X
    lvl 30 is cap for the weaker pets. Past that level you don't get any new upgrades from the trainer but new ones specific for the stronger versions of the pets.
    In addition you will notice a decrease in pet efficiency starting around level 20.

Quote Originally Posted by malk View Post
    lvl 30 is cap for the weaker pets. Past that level you don't get any new upgrades from the trainer but new ones specific for the stronger versions of the pets.
    In addition you will notice a decrease in pet efficiency starting around level 20.
    Are you certain of this, or is it just conjecture from viewing your next trainable skill level at the skill trainer?

I ask because I noticed they only show you the very next skill level when you turn off the sorting option, not all available skill levels.

X
    If I remember correctly the zero point necro pet only levels to 24.
    The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.
    - Sun Tzu

+ Reply to Thread