+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Mage Build

Shadowlander

Default PvP Mage Build

*Disclaimer* - I have not played beta and have only recently looked into this awesome looking game!!

Hi all, I just pre-ordered the game and have been trying to decide which class to play (warrior/mage/melee cleric) and in looking at the warrior souls i've decided that if i pick mage I will need a build with good cc and mobility because warriors seem to have some good mobility going on. I came up with this build http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...16,2_&lang=eng

The stormcaller souls probably need a lot of tweaking because I would probably need to play and see how the mechanics work in order to spend them correctly. I chose pyromancer as my second soul because it brings flicker, a root, and fireball. Furthermore, I chose warlock because it brings good survivability(healing/health), a stun, and a nuke (opportunity fireballs). So basically the stormcaller brings good aoe/cc; pyromancer brings more mobility/cc, and combined with warlock I can get survivability and a decent single target nuke in the form of instant fireball.

Any thoughts/critiques would be much appreciated and I look forward to playing this awesome looking MMO!!! (played wow for almost 6 years and i'm tired of it!)
    Last edited by Wesleypipes; 01-17-2011 at 12:53 AM.

1. Archmage is the ultimate soul for any pvp build because it adds tons of dps, survivability and utility for low points cost.
    2. Pyro's root is a waste unless maxed out (I mean the removal of breaking on damage), and stormcallers themselves have a better root. You dont need that.
    3. Instant cast or non-instant cast, fireballs do the same amount of damage in the same time = same dps gain. Opportunity does not really help that much. And you will never ever be using fireball in a stormcaller build.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...18,5_&lang=eng

This is what a stormcaller build would likely look like.
    Last edited by Seidon; 01-17-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Shadowlander

Your build looks great thanks for your input =) I just had pyro in there because coming from wow it's hard to imagine a mage withoug blink (flicker) :P So you can pick the pvp souls just like the others? I imagined you would need some sort of pvp rank or achievement to gain those points.

Yes, you need some pvp rank (it must be listed in the builder but I didnt really look) to get access to the skills. Basically you need 1 pvp rank for the first row, rank 2 for the second, rank 3 for the third etc. But getthing those, at least the first three or so, does not look like quite an effort. In the previous beta events getting prestige ranks was disabled, but rank2 requires getting 45k favor overall and I scored 18k favor in two days of running BG's. The pvp soul itself costs 2,5k favor

Quote Originally Posted by Wesleypipes View Post
    Your build looks great thanks for your input =) I just had pyro in there because coming from wow it's hard to imagine a mage withoug blink (flicker) :P So you can pick the pvp souls just like the others? I imagined you would need some sort of pvp rank or achievement to gain those points.
    the pvp soul is bought with Rift's equavalent of honor points, and then you flesh it out like you would any other soul tree. it would have to replace one of your other souls. and you are correct, you need to be lvl 50 and have ranked up via pvp before you can spend talents in the higher tiers of the soul.

rifts allows you to have up to 4 specs though, and allows you reset your soul points for gold. so its easy enough to have a pve and a pvp spec lined up.

i played a lot of warfront pvp in the last beta, and i can tell you for sure that its hard to survive as a mage without a lot of mobility and instant cast spells. should you choose to spend enough points in Stormcaller to just get the aoe 75% snare, and then gain all your dps from the pyro/warlock tree combo, you'll do just fine in the warfronts. Trying to get any dps out of Stormcaller unfortunately requires a large investment in the tree, and a fairly dedicated spell rotation to maximize the spells dps potential. using it for some CC however works quite well. you may also want to check out the pyro/elementalist/warlock combo. less snare options, but more burst dps, and a lot of good instant cast roots/nukes/stuns.

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

i played a lot of warfront pvp in the last beta, and i can tell you for sure that its hard to survive as a mage without a lot of mobility and instant cast spells. should you choose to spend enough points in Stormcaller to just get the aoe 75% snare, and then gain all your dps from the pyro/warlock tree combo, you'll do just fine in the warfronts.
    TBH from my experience at warfronts I found out that 95% of all damage was ranged and most of the guys including tanks and clerics there used their ranged specs, so most of the roots/snares/knockbacks did not matter. Maybe that's only true for eu, I believe euro and us dont cross over on bgs.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the input. I only played an inquisitor in the beta and i appreciate the stormcaller template

it can vary from BG to BG of course. but the Black Garden is a pretty small area, and you're going to be mixing it up with melee characters almost certainly. In these cases i found aoe snares/stuns, instant nukes and flicker to be incredibly useful. lockdown, backdraft, aoe dot on a ranged group can really hamper their dps, and if someone has targeted you, flicker will port you out of range in the blink of an eye. pardon the pun!

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

Telaran

I like this build for pvp. The only concern would be mana regen.
    Archmage crit build

+ Reply to Thread