+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My tips on Necromancers

Shadowlander

Default My tips on Necromancers

Background (played a nec every beta since beta 1)
    Chloromancer/nec/dom here...
    If you don't know what the spells are that I reference check them out at the link in the bottom of my post.

I see people complaining about the damage our DOT's do and I wanted to clarify a few things.People... if you are playing the nec and using Dots as main DPS you are doing it wrong.

Your main focus as a necro should be getting up charge as fast as possible to use Soul Purge.

8 points into Chloromancer gives you Stream of Reclamation (SoR) and a 1 click insta heal that you can use on yourself or anyone/anything else if you assign points that way.

SoR is like soul purge except it GIVES YOU CHARGE (30 to be exact).
    Why is this important? You can cancel this spell at any time and you basically have 30 charge instantly (but i don't recommend that unless you need a quick heal with soul purge because you are negating one of your best DPS spells for 45 seconds).This being said you can get up half a bar of charge, drop SoR and finally drop Soul Purge for your final nuking.
    Normally at this point you are gonna be pretty low on health and guess what? Hello full health.

At this point your basically casting spells like Deadly Plague till you can get at least half a bar of charge to cast soul purge again.

Charge is your love. You should cherish it, nap with it, and idolize it because as a necro it is your bread and butter.

My main point of this is that this class isn't meant for DoTs to be used as your main damage. The only time i even touch necrosis is when i have an opponent low health and I know they are gonna run.

Obviously your not gonna be huge DPS as a necro but you have pvp survivability. You often find yourself to be the last standing in war fronts and in the high end for Damage dealt and Kills.

I hope this helps you all to understand the strengths I've found with this class.

This is my build, if you have any questions on why i have any points anywhere please ask.
    http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...19,5_&lang=eng

Shadowlander

Bump /10chars

Warlock is just a better tree to combine with necro. You said it yourself, charge is important because soul purge is unbelievable at the moment. Warlock gives 25% more charge, and you get two/three more death damage DoTs, as well as a debuff that gives 15% death damage on a 1 min cooldown. I'm not in the party that thinks necros are weak at all, as they are probably top tier PvP for mages right now. I think the people complaining are missing out on how brutal soul purge is.

Shadowlander

That may be true at higher levels but up to now it just doesn't work because you don't have enough points to sacrifice to that third soul tree. And if you pvp you wont get the knockback ability or the CC from the dominator tree.

Edit- but these things really just come down to preference. what utilities you want for your play style
    Last edited by hayt; 01-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Rift Disciple

to OP, you really need to readup on your skills, when you say every necromancer that say dots need some love are playing him wrong......

first of all you need Deatly calling from "Grace rot", Necrosis and Looming Demise in order for your pets to do max damage on the target you want to kill. 2nd you need another spell cast on that target that will make him get 50% less healing and 10% less death resistance "Essence Link"

now we are up to 4 instant Curses. and only 2 make some damage and are low damage ones. thats 4 to 6 sec. from there you need to add some more deatly calling on that target for you pet to peak the damage it dish out. thats one or 2 nukes from our bolt, another 2 to 4 sec have gone by now and you only have 10 to 8 sec. left on Necrosis and you yourself have done damage for like 2x 200 per bolt and 6 or 7 x necrosis tick = 200 to 230 from 7 ticks i think and no more then 80 from Grave rot.

the Pet if he reach the target and you use the Zealot for max damage, have done 400 crit from one ablity and around 150 to 300 from the other two skills

so for 6 sec to 10 sec. closer to 8 or 11 sec. you would have done around 680 to 710 damage and your pet would have done 550 to 700 damage
    from the spells you will have a charge of 61 that will give you around 5 sec.on your soul purge = 13 to 16 sec. have gone bye = you need to recast necrosis on that target and restack deathly callings again.

you need necrosis for the pet to make a 100% crit on one of he's skills, you need Looming demise for him to do 100% damage on some of he's 3 skills and you need Deathly callings for him to get increase damage and reduce CD on he's skills.

so can you tell me how i play my Necromancer wrong, for all i can see here is that if we dont use our Curses and dots we are doing even less damage.
    Last edited by Ondesvin; 01-17-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Rift Disciple

Just ignore casting any bolts and youll be on the right track to playing the necro right as it currently stands.

Hell yes we are a pet class but i hope that devs increase a bit Necro spell dmg . Now a little offtopic Devs where is your imagination why you made such a boring elementalist class you could make it much much more interesting doing some ice dmg ect. You cannot expect we to be happy seeing our bolt doing 150 dmg on a debuffed mob ?
    Last edited by Spitefull; 01-17-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ondesvin View Post
    to OP, you really need to readup on your skills, when you say every necromancer that say dots need some love are playing him wrong......

first of all you need Deatly calling from "Grace rot", Necrosis and Looming Demise in order for your pets to do max damage on the target you want to kill. 2nd you need another spell cast on that target that will make him get 50% less healing and 10% less death resistance "Essence Link"

now we are up to 4 instant Curses. and only 2 make some damage and are low damage ones. thats 4 to 6 sec. from there you need to add some more deatly calling on that target for you pet to peak the damage it dish out. thats one or 2 nukes from our bolt, another 2 to 4 sec have gone by now and you only have 10 to 8 sec. left on Necrosis and you yourself have done damage for like 2x 200 per bolt and 6 or 7 x necrosis tick = 200 to 230 from 7 ticks i think and no more then 80 from Grave rot.

the Pet if he reach the target and you use the Zealot for max damage, have done 400 crit from one ablity and around 150 to 300 from the other two skills

so for 6 sec to 10 sec. closer to 8 or 11 sec. you would have done around 680 to 710 damage and your pet would have done 550 to 700 damage
    from the spells you will have a charge of 61 that will give you around 5 sec.on your soul purge = 13 to 16 sec. have gone bye = you need to recast necrosis on that target and restack deathly callings again.

you need necrosis for the pet to make a 100% crit on one of he's skills, you need Looming demise for him to do 100% damage on some of he's 3 skills and you need Deathly callings for him to get increase damage and reduce CD on he's skills.

so can you tell me how i play my Necromancer wrong, for all i can see here is that if we dont use our Curses and dots we are doing even less damage.
    I get where your coming from, and for all purposes if you are playing a pure necro then this is the best way you can build.But if your spending all this time applying these things (specifically in pvp combat) then your gonna be dead. (thus my multi class into chloromancer). The thing with pet classes in most games is that you cant really rely on your pet in pvp to deal your damage for you. One slow down and they can be kited around all day.

These are not all "instant"cast curses, they use the global cool down even though they say instant. When i think of an insta cast, its something that i can click with 3 other things instantly, not have to individually apply each one after the global cool down refreshes.Essence link is obviously a must as it heals a crap load of health over time and as you said increases death damage.

What I'm getting at here is in pvp combat you need to be dropping health faster than your opponent while out healing them. If we are relying on DoT ticks and our pets to do our damage for us we are gonna be spending alot of time with our backs to our enemies running away.

Thank you for the intelligent response though, I appreciate to hear others' strategies.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Spitefull View Post
    Hell yes we are a pet class but i hope that devs increase a bit Necro spell dmg .
    I have to disagree here, i mean with soul purge in pvp i can hit with each tick for 250 on a crit and we get like 7 or so ticks from a full charge? That's 1750 damage plus we now have full health, in addition we have our pet dealing damage also, and they hurt too. Can you maybey explain a little better? Im not sure if I follow what needs to be increased

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by hayt View Post
    I have to disagree here, i mean with soul purge in pvp i can hit with each tick for 250 on a crit and we get like 7 or so ticks from a full charge? That's 1750 damage plus we now have full health, in addition we have our pet dealing damage also, and they hurt too. Can you maybey explain a little better? Im not sure if I follow what needs to be increased
    you realize it's only 1 spell?
    Sorry btw, Im going necro for sure in next beta and launch, but there seems only 2-3 good spells in necro.
    Death grasp, and soul purge.
    And with necro your pets should hurt the most, cause you should buff your pets, and debuff ur enemy's for your pets
    Last edited by Double; 01-17-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    you realize it's only 1 spell?
    Sorry btw, Im going necro for sure in next beta and launch, but there seems only 2-3 good spells in necro.
    Death grasp, and soul purge.
    And with necro your pets should hurt the most, cause you should buff your pets, and debuff ur enemy's for your pets
    Yeah, i realize that its only one spell, but theres no cooldown on it and the only thing that prevents us from using it is the charge...

I have to agree though, theres not really too many amazing spells in the class, and honestly once i hit Deaths' Grasp i wouldnt put another point into it. I'd probably delve into the Dominator tree for Silence abilities and other higher damage spells

Rift Disciple

the problem is that your pet will do 50% of our damage maybe with soul purge going for you we do around 60 to 65% of the damage and the pet 35 to 40% but we need to debuff our target to help it out, or we gimp it even more, we need our pet to do some damage....

now we do get a Mage pet, but he does even worce damage then our Tank, and to make the AoE work on the Mage pet you need to cast Necrosis on 5 target that happens to stay close to each other, when our Pet nukes with the AoE.

they really need to Buff our Dots and make them AoE with an Instant cast spell.
    man we are doing 3 times the work compared to the Elementalist class and we do that so our Pets are a pain for ppl in PvP

we really dont cast the dots for the damage but for the extra damage our pets get from these curses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondesvin View Post
    the problem is that your pet will do 50% of our damage maybe with soul purge going for you we do around 60 to 65% of the damage and the pet 35 to 40% but we need to debuff our target to help it out, or we gimp it even more, we need our pet to do some damage....

now we do get a Mage pet, but he does even worce damage then our Tank, and to make the AoE work on the Mage pet you need to cast Necrosis on 5 target that happens to stay close to each other, when our Pet nukes with the AoE.

they really need to Buff our Dots and make them AoE with an Instant cast spell.
    man we are doing 3 times the work compared to the Elementalist class and we do that so our Pets are a pain for ppl in PvP

we really dont cast the dots for the damage but for the extra damage our pets get from these curses.
    Let`s hope Devs will hear our feedback .

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by hayt View Post
    Background (played a nec every beta since beta 1)
    Chloromancer/nec/dom here...
    If you don't know what the spells are that I reference check them out at the link in the bottom of my post.

I see people complaining about the damage our DOT's do and I wanted to clarify a few things.People... if you are playing the nec and using Dots as main DPS you are doing it wrong.

Your main focus as a necro should be getting up charge as fast as possible to use Soul Purge.

8 points into Chloromancer gives you Stream of Reclamation (SoR) and a 1 click insta heal that you can use on yourself or anyone/anything else if you assign points that way.

SoR is like soul purge except it GIVES YOU CHARGE (30 to be exact).
    Why is this important? You can cancel this spell at any time and you basically have 30 charge instantly (but i don't recommend that unless you need a quick heal with soul purge because you are negating one of your best DPS spells for 45 seconds).This being said you can get up half a bar of charge, drop SoR and finally drop Soul Purge for your final nuking.
    Normally at this point you are gonna be pretty low on health and guess what? Hello full health.

At this point your basically casting spells like Deadly Plague till you can get at least half a bar of charge to cast soul purge again.

Charge is your love. You should cherish it, nap with it, and idolize it because as a necro it is your bread and butter.

My main point of this is that this class isn't meant for DoTs to be used as your main damage. The only time i even touch necrosis is when i have an opponent low health and I know they are gonna run.

Obviously your not gonna be huge DPS as a necro but you have pvp survivability. You often find yourself to be the last standing in war fronts and in the high end for Damage dealt and Kills.

I hope this helps you all to understand the strengths I've found with this class.

This is my build, if you have any questions on why i have any points anywhere please ask.
    http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html#...19,5_&lang=eng
    Necro is a pet class for one and what do you think soul purge is? Its a DoT wow some people.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vexat View Post
    Necro is a pet class for one and what do you think soul purge is? Its a DoT wow some people.
    Valid arguments man, thanks for contributing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast