+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Curious about class mechanics

Telaran

Default Curious about class mechanics

Hello, I just signed up and waiting on beta.
    While I wait to be picked, if that occurs, I wanted to know how the character mechanics are?
    I play(ed) WoW and to be truthful, while it is/was the best MMORPG around the world, I'm getting bored and tired with it. WoW had its day and I want to play a new MMORPG from day one.

One thing I like from what I listened from the developers is the ability to have almost an endless amount of class options and I think from what I understood, you have 4 souls by end game and each soul can be 1 class, meaning you can be every class in the game on one character.

I am curious how the class mechanics are compared to other MMO's such as;
    WoW, Guild Wars, etc

When you create the character, you pick a Calling: Cleric, Mage, Rogue, or Warrior. This determines the mechanics of your abilities. This NEVER changes.

Over the course of leveling up, you gain Souls within your Calling. You can never get souls of other callings. Each calling has 8 normal souls and 1 pvp soul.

You can have 4 roles. Within one role, you can equip any three of the souls you have available to you. You then put points into these souls to give yourself abilities and such.

Essentially, within your calling, you can have 84 unique soul combinations, and then you can invest the points in them in a diverse number of ways. This gives you quite a few possibilities even within the same calling.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man — man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Telaran

Ah.
    Either way, it allows me to custom make my guy and I think that is the cool thing about this game.

Ok so how many Callings can you have on one game account?

I am like you Thalais, tired of WoW and want to try something new from day 1
    I don't know any mechanics or anything about this game for that sake.

Can anyone please post some facts about subscription and gameplay please? Does it cost money every month? How much in that case?
    How ´does the ability system work? What is the level cap? :P

Telaran

Level cap at launch is 50. Cost per month was around £15 I think (bit of a guess). Not sure in dollars or euros.

lol there's like a FAQ I believe with all of these answers if you looked around the site a bit but I'll answer because I'm bored and don't mind.

You can have 5 characters, it's 15 bucks a month subscription (first month is free when you buy the game).

Go play around with this : http://rifts.ru/tallents/index.html# to see more of how the soul/skill system works. To put it into WoW terms, you get to choose 3 of 9 "talent tree's" for each calling. Each of these tree's are completely different in how they play and you can get some interesting combinations out of it, but the more points you put into a tree, it unlocks skills that you can use from that soul.

For the most part the game mechanics work pretty much the same, there's a lot of things fairly new/different in this for instance there are healer's that do damage in order to heal (look at chloromancer for mages and bard's for rogue's for examples). Then there's classes based almost entirely on buffing/CC (dominator for mage's is one example) and as I said before you combine 3 and choose where to spend your allotment of points so you get a bazillion combinations you could possibly use.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Soulwalker

Question soul noob

Alright i've searched and scanned. I understand the calling and the potential soul building prestigue classing watchacall it. What i'm intrested in knowing is at what level do these other class soul options open up?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimgamer View Post
    Alright i've searched and scanned. I understand the calling and the potential soul building prestigue classing watchacall it. What i'm intrested in knowing is at what level do these other class soul options open up?
    You get 3 souls by the time you leave the tutorial zone, which happens around level 6. At level 13, you are able to accept the soul quests from your faction's capital.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man — man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

Soulwalker

Default thanks

Thank you for the info. I'm looking forward to beta after pre-ordering the game. I'm sure most of my questions will be answered once i get logged in and screw around with the game for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Toran View Post
    Ok so how many Callings can you have on one game account?
    one calling per character. character slots, i don't know.

the "Roles" are nothing more than saved build configurations that you can swap to on the fly (out of combat)

there are several planners, just google them. here are two.
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    You get 3 souls by the time you leave the tutorial zone, which happens around level 6. At level 13, you are able to accept the soul quests from your faction's capital.
    I'm pretty sure this was just for the last couple of betas (so people can test stuff). I don't think this will be the case at release. For example in beta 2 there was a fairly major quest to get your third soul around level 16 (I thought it required a couple more levels than 13 but may have mis remembered). The remainder of the city guys (defiant at least) simply have placeholder quests so you can get all the souls immediately they will almost certainly change too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowFish View Post
    I'm pretty sure this was just for the last couple of betas (so people can test stuff). I don't think this will be the case at release. For example in beta 2 there was a fairly major quest to get your third soul around level 16 (I thought it required a couple more levels than 13 but may have mis remembered). The remainder of the city guys (defiant at least) simply have placeholder quests so you can get all the souls immediately they will almost certainly change too.
    In beta 3 they changed the souls so that all of them have something offensive as a 0-point ability (so you can start with any of them), and changed the way points were earned (to give 66 total instead of 51). Gaining at least your second soul by level 3 is pretty much a necessity, since you can't spend more points than your level in a single soul. I think the early acquisition of 3 souls is here to stay.

The quests to get the other souls will probably change, however.

I, for one, personally hope they change it up majorly, adding more points, or switching around zero pointers..if only to make the RIFT following do a back flip in surprise and release a global 'gyarg!'. Then we'll see who can logically devise working builds on the fly and who needs to be taught what to do, haha
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Oh there's going to be plenty surprises. I anticipate a huge balance patch between release and 2-3 months in. Additiniolly they may make Soul Aquisition harder again which I think wouldn't be a bad idea.

+ Reply to Thread