+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pets and DoTs?

Rift Master

Default Pets and DoTs?

I got into the last Beta, and didn't think to check any of it until a friend asked me about it, but does anyone know how Pets scale? Are they statically built, or do they scale with the player? I know they're able to be buffed, just as any other player would, but I did not even think to check whether they scaled off of players or whether they were static.

As far as DoTs go, is anyone able to give some insight on them? I've heard that they are unable to crit, but I've also heard that if the first tick crits, all ticks will then do so (I have yet to see that happen during my Beta, but I would still like some insight).
    And does anyone know whether they scale well with Spellpower, or poorly? If a player were to get a large increase in Spellpower, would the damage of each DoT tick go up drastically with said spellpower, or would each tick go up only slightly in damage, resulting in a mediocre increase of overall damage?

1) Pets do scale based on Char level + attributes as of B4. Some low point pets may still have a level cap though.

2) DoTs can crit but the game calculates them like every DD ability. So crit is calculated once when the DoT is first cast and increases the total dmg which then gets distributed over the time of the DoT. The same is true for spell power.

For example...
    Lets say you have a DoT that does 500 dmg over 10s. When it crits is does 1000 dmg over 10s.

Lets say spell power increases dmg by 250. The base dmg of the DoT 500 gets an additional 250 for 750 total over 10s.

So without the added spell power it is 100 per tick, with spell power it would be 150 per tick.
    Of By For

Click on the banner and join us today!

Plane Touched

What I want to know is, what are the various abilities of the pets?

I cant seem to find info on this anywhere.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by MadMainer View Post
    1) Pets do scale based on Char level + attributes as of B4. Some low point pets may still have a level cap though.

2) DoTs can crit but the game calculates them like every DD ability. So crit is calculated once when the DoT is first cast and increases the total dmg which then gets distributed over the time of the DoT. The same is true for spell power.

For example...
    Lets say you have a DoT that does 500 dmg over 10s. When it crits is does 1000 dmg over 10s.

Lets say spell power increases dmg by 250. The base dmg of the DoT 500 gets an additional 250 for 750 total over 10s.

So without the added spell power it is 100 per tick, with spell power it would be 150 per tick.
    Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

As for Pet abilities, I haven't found a listing of them, but they appear in-game on your pet's hotbar; When the class specs into whatever skill in the Soul Tree enhances their Pet, they gain another ability, and possibly another one at a later time.

Edited in: The Necro DPS pet, from what I remember, has a Direct Damage spell it casts that does more damage with more stacks of Deathly Calling, I believe, and reduces threat by 50% if the target has Necrosis on it. I'm not sure what the Zealot gains. The Stalwart has both a Taunt and a damage mitigation spell depending on the stacks of Deathly Calling that deals some damage I think.
    Last edited by Arianna; 01-16-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erongada View Post

I can't speak for other archtypes, but the BeastMaster pet gets bite (DD ability 1.5s GCD) and Pounce (like Bull Rush). Only the 21 pt pet gets pounce and depending on whether you buff it as a tank or DPS will determine secondary effects of those abilities.
    Of By For

Click on the banner and join us today!

Quote Originally Posted by Erongada View Post

The druid pet, a fairy..., grants you a Power of the Fae buff. This increases your attack power by your spell power; their physical crit to be increased by their spell crit; and their melee hit by their spell focus.

The fairy also has a fair HOT that she casts on you or whoever in your party needs it. She also casts a very low damage DD on mobs that you are attacking. Overall, the pet is not very impressive IMO. Course if they made it much better, it would make the druid overpowered, as it is an offensive, melee cleric soul.

All in all, you get the same buff as the one the pet gives with Shaman "courage" buffs and Justicar "cavalier" buff, without the hassel of having to recast the pet (or loose it if the pet dies). In PvP, that is pretty important.

+ Reply to Thread