+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on Chloro/Pyro + Riftstalker/Bard

Red face Looking for advice on Chloro/Pyro + Riftstalker/Bard

So I'm thinking of having a char with more of a support base with self-survivability rather than full on healer. I tried a Cleric during beta 4 and I wanted to try something different for the next beta. So I'm looking for advice on the build, like if it'd have mana or survivability issues since I don't want to be pure support. Just be nice to know if I'm starting to go in the right direction or not, since I've never been great at pre-deciding my skills.

The first build is Chloro/Pyro, Chloro being the heavier and 0 points in the third.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...121500:warlock.

I've only included the amount of points possible from this beta and I chose 20 points into Chloro which to me is a necessity since that's when I can revive others.

The second build I'd like advice on is a Rift Stalker/Bard build, and 0 points in the third.

http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...05500:saboteur.

I've pretty much ignored the third soul for both, partly for the fact it's only a level cap of 30, but if anyone has advice about putting a few points in another soul I'd like to hear it, since I'm pretty undecided about what might compliment my two main souls for both builds.

That rifstalker/bard build looks horrible. What are you trying to do exactly? You want to buff, dps, and tank at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazoon View Post
    That rifstalker/bard build looks horrible. What are you trying to do exactly? You want to buff, dps, and tank at the same time?
    I have no interested in tanking let alone being a main tank.
    I'm looking at self survivability, maybe take a few at a time but not full on tanking. I want to be able to survive, plus have a little self buff and deal decent damage.

If it's not a good build, I need to know why it's not and get advice on what might be a better option for it, ie take some points out of bard for sab or another soul instead for the third.

Bumping~

Still looking for advice.

I'm not sure what direction your chloro/fire build is going if you want to be support. The damage from fire does so little healing(I think its 5%?) with the lifegiving veil(a very big bonus from life based damage though).
    Last edited by Ragni; 01-16-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragni View Post
    I'm not sure what direction your chloro/fire build is going if you want to be support. The damage from fire does so little healing(I think its 5%?) with the lifegiving veil(a very big bonus from life based damage though).
    That's why I'm after advice. If pyro isn't a good match to the chloro and another soul or two are without being -completely- support I'd like to know what the better options are. Like I said I don't want to be pure support, I want a decent support base but still be able to look after myself.

I'm not good at pre-deciding entire skill sets which is why I'm looking for advice on what might match better.

Revised the chloro build a bit.

Would something like this be better matching to the chloro? Since Elementalist and Dominators both have lightening/air attacks, they seem to match well enough.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...17,1_&lang=eng
    Last edited by Dreamar; 01-16-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Telaran

Warlock would probably compliment your chloro better if your focus is on self-sustainability. The 10% healthtalent + as a few lfie stealing dots should fit in well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamar View Post
    I have no interested in tanking let alone being a main tank.
    I'm looking at self survivability, maybe take a few at a time but not full on tanking. I want to be able to survive, plus have a little self buff and deal decent damage.

If it's not a good build, I need to know why it's not and get advice on what might be a better option for it, ie take some points out of bard for sab or another soul instead for the third.
    Basically you're all over the place. If you're trying to make a barb build you don't want anywhere near as much riftstalker past the basic get away tricks.

If you're trying to kill things with Riftstalker a lot of the points in bard are a waste. You don't need bardic inspiration, you're never going to be using cadence, talented composer is a waste and at that point you've not enough points for power cord anyway.

Moving over to rifstalker. You seem to be taking half the tank talents and ignoring the other half.

You've got rift guard without the improved version, no boosted recovery, no planar refuge.

Basically it's showing a complete lack of, well, focus.

Now presuming you want to use this for PvE http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=2...nts=0&lang=eng i'd probarbly go with something like that.

You're not going to be tanking anything with it though, but then Tanking requires far more purity of focus than PvEing.
    Last edited by Blinks; 01-17-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Plane Touched

The RS is clearly built for tanking. That doesnt mean you cant DPS with such a soul, but it'll be low dps compared to a lot of others.
    Imho, either go with a tanking build supported by some bard points (I went 27 RS and 9 Bard 0 bladedancer) or go bard with some RS support skills. (I went 26 bard, 10 RS, VERY efficient and survivable build for PVP). Last solution, would be 12 bard, 24 ranger for soloing.

Builds at 27 :
    Tank :
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...0:blade_dancer.
    Bard PVP :
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...0005000:ranger.
    Solo :
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...00:riftstalker.

Prophet of Telara

So I'm thinking of having a char with more of a support base with self-survivability rather than full on healer. I tried a Cleric during beta 4 and I wanted to try something different for the next beta. So I'm looking for advice on the build, like if it'd have mana or survivability issues since I don't want to be pure support.
    I'm not clear on when you're planning to use the healing/support role. Keep in mind that you'll be able to switch out roles on the same character - so you can have a different mage-build for levelling, one for raids/rifts/invasions, one for PvP etc. With that in mind, you can build a support/healing mage for Raids, that doesn't need to worry too much about levelling/PvP.

So on your 40 point build, you might go for something like this raid/rift/invasion healing build which is pretty much purely based on healing at 40 points, with a little extra support from Archon. The Warlock 6 pts are there because they give charge and mana regen, which the Chloro really needs in order to keep going over longer raid/rift/invasion battles. As you gained mor points beyond that, you might increase the raid support through the Archon tree.

If you're looking for 3 souls that you can level up with from the beginning, until you reach Sanctum and can grab a wider range of available souls, then you might go for Chloro/Lock/Necro. Necro gets you a decent pet which serves fairly well as a tank for levelling. The Elementalist pet is a better tank... but with all your healing, it's perhaps less necessary to have a really good aggro holding tank. Necro pet will hold most mobs' focus, does good damage and necro fits well with Warlock (both death damage focussed). You might aim at a build something like this.

The necro points in there focus on Plague Bolt as your levelling nuke when healing is less needed, as it stacks up the Deathly Calling which improves your pet's performance. As a result, I also added Neddra's Torture on the Lock tree, to bump up the damage coming from the Necro/Pet side. You still have excellent group/raid healing on the Chloro side and the necro pet will disturb tanks less than the ele pet would have. You could also go for 0 pts in necro and add a bit more stuff to the top of the Chloro tree... it wouldn't make a big difference either way I don't think... and the extra pet performance may improve his aggro holding a bit...

Having said that though, I'd say that once you reach sanctum around level 15 and grab other souls to build other roles, you'd opt for the Chl/Lock/Arch build for your raiding and go with a different mix of souls entirely for levelling, so you'll probably never reach 40 points with this particular role. You'd probably focus on Chloro, stick with 0 pts in necro and not take Neddra's on the Lock tree. By the time you get to 15 you'll have many other options available.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-17-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinks View Post
    Now presuming you want to use this for PvE http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=2...nts=0&lang=eng i'd probarbly go with something like that.

You're not going to be tanking anything with it though, but then Tanking requires far more purity of focus than PvEing.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the advice from both on what might work better for the rogue build.

Like I said I'm not really after a tank as such, as in big mobs and heavy bosses.

Would that build generally speaking be decent at surviving against say 2-4 monsters or more ability to run and get a better standing to pick them off?

For something like that would it it be better taking the 2 points off Death from the Shadows and Stage Presence and putting them to Toughened Soul for slightly less damage (no self/party heal) but slightly more armor?

Something like this?
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=2...nts=0&lang=eng

Quote Originally Posted by Zerathule View Post
    The RS is clearly built for tanking. That doesnt mean you cant DPS with such a soul, but it'll be low dps compared to a lot of others.
    Imho, either go with a tanking build supported by some bard points (I went 27 RS and 9 Bard 0 bladedancer) or go bard with some RS support skills. (I went 26 bard, 10 RS, VERY efficient and survivable build for PVP). Last solution, would be 12 bard, 24 ranger for soloing.
    I appreciate the advice. Except, it may be a tanking soul but not everyone will want to be the main tank for bosses and 8+ mobs, or PVP. None of which I particularly want to get myself in a situation of. The tank build isn't bad though for survivability.
    Last edited by Dreamar; 01-17-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    I'm not clear on when you're planning to use the healing/support role. Keep in mind that you'll be able to switch out roles on the same character - so you can have a different mage-build for levelling, one for raids/rifts/invasions, one for PvP etc.
    I'm going to be rolling on a PVE server.

I actually quite like the Chl/Lock/Necro build.

So would that one be a decent one as a starter until I hit 15 and can switch roles around depending on my current need? Or is it better to use the archon for the extra mana regen in the early levels?

I also only managed to hit 14 in the last beta so I'm not sure how easy it is to switch souls around in the roles, only how to reset the soul points.
    Last edited by Dreamar; 01-17-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Switching roles is very easy. To be sure that you understand it... You get to build three souls as you want to, putting in points where you want to and setting up your shortcut bars as you need them. This set-up of souls and shortcuts etc is your first Role. You can then save that Role, giving it a name - such as "Chloro/Lock/Necro PvE Role"

Then, once you've purchased an extra Role from your Mage Trainer, you get another completely blank set of 3 trees. You can choose a different set of 3 souls in that blank set. This time you might choose Pyro/Archon/Elementalist and save this set-up as "Pyro/Lock/Ele Raiding DPS Role". You can distribute points in those souls as you like and set up your shortcut bars as you like them for that Role.

Then you can switch between one or the other as and when you like. So say you're in "Chloro/Lock/Necro PvE Role" and you want to help out at a Rift Raid that you come across... you just select the other role and in a few seconds, you're suddenly a "Pyro/Archon/Lock Raid DPS Role" with all your shortcut bars set up for that role. Then after that Raid is over, you're asked into a group to do an instance... but they can't find a healer - push a button and suddenly you're a Chloro/Lock/Necro again, ready to heal them through the instance.

If you look at the bottom of the soul tree there are four square 'sockets', each of which will hold a saved Role. Buying extra ones gets increasingly expensive. If I remember right, buying the 3rd Role slot cost nearly 4 Plat. But essentially, it's like being able to switch between four different classes as and when you want to - but all as one character.

This is the point at which the wonder of the Rift class system, suddenly hits home and you realise how great it is.

As to whether you should level with a Chloro/Lock/Necro build?... well if that's what you want - then do it! My thought process was that a raiding chloro needs a lot of in combat mana and charge (re)gain (because they're long fights and you can't get out of combat easily to recharge mana. Lock is the perfect fit for that, because you can get both with just a 6 point investment. Then, I personally think it helps out mages a lot to have a pet to do some tanking for you when levelling, which leaves Necro or elementalist for the 3rd choice... and Necro fits best together with Lock... so that's what I did.

There are a lot of other good routes to go with. Your Chloro/Dom/Ele suggested build wasn't bad at all. Why not go with that? There's some mana regen from the Dom, you have the pet etc. and you've spotted a synergy between the Dom and Ele with Air damage types. To be frank, for a levelling build through the first 15-20 levels, there aren't many combinations in the mage archetype that would be really bad ones. You can munch your way quite happily through all the quests and mobs.

If you stop each time you have a couple of points available and just look at what putting them into each tree would bring - and choose the option that you feel will best help your present play-style out, then you won't go far wrong. Maybe look 2 points further into the tree just to be on the safe side. Once you get an extra role from your trainer, you can try different distributions out with the same 3 souls too... and once you get some more souls from the Mages in Argent from level ~13 (it kinda depends on when you get there in your quest-line if you're following it), then you can try out all sorts of different combos.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-17-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Nice explanation X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast