+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is RIFT healing different than WoW healing?

Rift Disciple

Default Is RIFT healing different than WoW healing?

I have not played in the beta for rift and am looking for some insight from players who have.

RIFT is looking like a very fun game and has caught my interest. I have a concern/question. I have noticed that if I build a full healer I am looking at about 7 single target heals and about 6 AoE heals, this is a TON. My concern is, will it look like wow where you just spam the same 2-3 heals over and over again mindlessly. WoW had healing classes full of healing spells, but when you started raiding it got dumbed down to the 2-3 most efficient spells and became boring quickly. Have those of you playing in beta noticed this, is there more to healing in this game that you actually need and use all your abilities or is it similar to wow where many just get pushed aside and become unused?

Thank you for your time and advice, Pashtun.

You echo my concerns. As a WoW priest and a druid I found myself spamming 3 keys. I could just faceroll (with the right timing) my way though most instances. What is RIFT like?

Quote Originally Posted by Pashtun View Post
    I have not played in the beta for rift and am looking for some insight from players who have.

RIFT is looking like a very fun game and has caught my interest. I have a concern/question. I have noticed that if I build a full healer I am looking at about 7 single target heals and about 6 AoE heals, this is a TON. My concern is, will it look like wow where you just spam the same 2-3 heals over and over again mindlessly. WoW had healing classes full of healing spells, but when you started raiding it got dumbed down to the 2-3 most efficient spells and became boring quickly. Have those of you playing in beta noticed this, is there more to healing in this game that you actually need and use all your abilities or is it similar to wow where many just get pushed aside and become unused?

Its pretty much almost the same as WoW almost

Purifers seem to have 3 main heals, restorative flame 3s, healing flame 1.5s, healing flare(lol inefficient) instant
    But they have around 3-4blessing which are only 45second cooldown(untalented) and last for about 5minutes (like vanilla Paladin buff). A few shields and an instant crit spell.

3blessing, 3healings, 2shields, 2 utility

Purifiers are skin most to a mixture of Paladin and a bit of Discipline Priest

Wardens have about 3-4hots and 2-4 AoE depending on how deep you go into the Soul, and they pretty much function the same as a Tree specc druid almost!

3hots 2-3AoE, 2utility, 2 orbs?

Sentinels are like holy priest, AoE orientated with Healing Grace 2s, Healing Invocation 3s, Healing Breath(instant 8second heals 2 others with talented). They have an AoE which functions like Circle of Healing (Divine Call) and Healing Communion which is sort of like Prayer of Healing, not to mention there is also Shared Recovery (binding heal) at the end of the soul. Also an instant cast spell and a shield which reduces 40% of damage for about 10seconds.

4 heals, 2 aoe, 2utility, 1 shield?

THESE ARE ALL ROUGH NUMBERS so don't take my word for it, this is for going into about 32+ into a single soul.
    Last edited by Happygoten; 01-16-2011 at 06:57 PM.

If you want a more engaging healing experience and/or you are a healer of a dps group in raid, try chloromancer. With priests, it;s more like eq2 healing minus the solo ward/reactive/regen in most cases. Oh, and without that groupcure.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Seidon View Post
    If you want a more engaging healing experience and/or you are a healer of a dps group in raid, try chloromancer. With priests, it;s more like eq2 healing minus the solo ward/reactive/regen in most cases. Oh, and without that groupcure.
    Yes, I certainly do want something more engaging than spamming 2-3 buttons, main reason why I made the post. The chloromancer definitely looks like a lot of fun and more engaging than spamming the same 2-3 buttons on cd. I haven't played EQ, so not sure how the healing was in that game. I just wasn't sure if RIFT healers were going to have like 12 heal spells..but in reality only use like 3...but yes, chloromancer set up looks very interesting and fun.

As a main soul'd Sentinel you find yourself doing much more than spamming same heals over and over. In fact in most cases you find yourself clicking more than 2-3 abilities. If you know how to play your class that is.

Telaran

As stated above pure healing as in sentinel are very similar to WoW. Your only healing constraint is your mana bar. However other types of priests can be effective healers without just standing in the back and spamming 3 keys.

Justicar is a good example of something very different from WoW. A justicar swings his mace to gain convictions. Those convictions can be turned into powerful low mana cost heals. However a justicar can't heal at all without first hitting something. You need to be alert and awake to be a good justicar healer. How effective they are at level 50 remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Akrux; 01-16-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Soulwalker

If you wanna do more than stand around you can do some melee with a couple different builds as long as you aren't boss fighting. Dungeon fighting trash mobs with a build like this (take the druid add a shammy if wanted) would be pretty fun..........

http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...18,1_&lang=eng

More interactive healing would fall under Chloromancer and Bard. There are some interactive cleric souls, but I don't think they will have the power to contribute much healing in a raid.
    Of By For

Click on the banner and join us today!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pashtun View Post

Happygoten gave a ton of good information. I am just going to address a few other things

1) Even as a full spec healer (going to call the Sent, Purifier and Warden full for this) you better be doing more than just healing in group PvE or PvP. Even these full healers have tons of other tools to do damage. A Sent is a great soul to solo in, I had a ton of fun with one.

2) Raids, As a healer your probably going to be mashing 3 (or 1) buttons 90% of the time. But no one knows for sure and no real raids have been seen yet

3) Flexibility - Even if you go to the raid a full healer, once your done grab a group or go solo and change to your group/ solo build that has more DPS if that's what you want. Switching is easy and one of the big points of the game. Play a Sent/Pur/Warden for the raid then switch to your SHM/Just/Cab to solo, then grab a group and switch to your Cab/Pur/Druid

Telaran

Allright, Rift is like other mmos, you have to push buttons :-) .

If you are that bad that you only use 2-3 of possibly 5-10 you are a simple WoW affacted mind, no offence.

You have many possibility in Rift you can come back to, utility for fights, push back, insta dot's, snares, even pet managment. You will be able to push a way more than 2-3 buttons that are effective in the end and the way, if you use them right ;-) .

Bard is a very funny many buttons "i kill my number keys" class who have a lot to do and who heal respectfully.

Chlomancer is fun to, buffs/debuffs, heals ans so on BUT not that much of support i will await from a heal specced soul, in my opinion. Chloro is nice to play with some dominator influence, so you can cc and heal, thats a lot to do and a lot of fun to and make it woth the test.

Now it's only up to you what you want to play or don't but make one thing sure.... healing is like every other mmo.... you have to push buttons.... and only as much as you want and not 1 more.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Karnaga View Post
    Allright, Rift is like other mmos, you have to push buttons :-) .

If you are that bad that you only use 2-3 of possibly 5-10 you are a simple WoW affacted mind, no offence.

You have many possibility in Rift you can come back to, utility for fights, push back, insta dot's, snares, even pet managment. You will be able to push a way more than 2-3 buttons that are effective in the end and the way, if you use them right ;-) .

Bard is a very funny many buttons "i kill my number keys" class who have a lot to do and who heal respectfully.

Chlomancer is fun to, buffs/debuffs, heals ans so on BUT not that much of support i will await from a heal specced soul, in my opinion. Chloro is nice to play with some dominator influence, so you can cc and heal, thats a lot to do and a lot of fun to and make it woth the test.

Now it's only up to you what you want to play or don't but make one thing sure.... healing is like every other mmo.... you have to push buttons.... and only as much as you want and not 1 more.
    I would like to thank the posters for some good insight into healing in rift. But seriously, your advice is you have to push buttons in an MMO? Really ? that is your advice?

I think you missed my post, I haven't played the beta in rift so I was unaware of the healing mechanics. Yes, my mentality for healing comes from wow, wow players make the same type of arguments..you can cc, dps..etc while healing. My problem with wow was that in raids you would spam the same 2-3 mindlessly, I was inquiring as to whether rift had more to it.

With that said, sounds like I would be rolling a chloromancer or bard. Those 2 classes do seem to offer a different look at healing compared to the "wow" style.

For the most part, I found it to be very similar to WoW healing. The reason is that although you have many many heals on your hotbar, they aren't all the same strength due to your skill point split. So whatever heals are the strongest are the ones you will usually use.

As an example, Justicar abilities heal more through Salvation than non-Justicar abilities. In the same way, some of the heals are not going to work as well with talents or abilities from other trees. So whatever your primary tree is, that's usually the type of healing you're going to be doing the most.

Now if you split your healing evenly across two classes, then yes you will have a ton of VIABLE healing abilities.

It's not just healing though. I found many warrior dps abilities to be useless or duplicated. You should not be using all of the abilities you are given, as there is a lot of intermingling in the classes and some abilities offered by one simply outshine the ones offered by another. A single target healing soul might have some group heals, but they will be crappy compared to the group heals from the group healing soul.

So yeah, get used to using about 7-10 abilities tops throughout your gameplay.

Telaran

What i want to say is that the mechanic part is the same in every mmo ^^. Push darn buttons.

But i understand your last post like u "only" want to heal... no dmg... no cc... only heal.

In that way you shrink every class to a 2-4 button class.

Maybe i dont understand exactly what you want to say ^^ english isn't my native language.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Karnaga View Post
    What i want to say is that the mechanic part is the same in every mmo ^^. Push darn buttons.

But i understand your last post like u "only" want to heal... no dmg... no cc... only heal.

In that way you shrink every class to a 2-4 button class.

Maybe i dont understand exactly what you want to say ^^ english isn't my native language.
    What I'm referring to is being a healer in RIFT raids. That can include CC, dps, healing..etc, but im not sure, haven't seen a rift raid. I make my references to wow. In wow a healer in a raid only healed 99% of the time, the mechanics in wow at the time basically dictated that a heler only healed. I think it would be great if healers had to do more in raids than just heal...especially if it was just spamming the same 2-3 buttons over and over again.

Bard, justicar, and chloromancer definitely seem to have more engaging and intriguing raid healer mechanics. Justicar and Bard seem to have mechanics similar to LoTRO, which I thought was far more dynamic and engaging healing wise than WoW. Justicar may be like a Captain. I found that to be very very fun in group content, not at all a 3 button spamfest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast