+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will you forego the best leveling build?

Default Will you forego the best leveling build?

So my initial idea was to make a warrior I could level easily with, just to get to level 20 something, which is why I was thinking a Reaver / Beastmaster, then get the defensive souls.

Now I'm thinking of rolling a defensive spec from level 1 because I won't have to get 3 more defensive souls so early in the game (because I could pick them from the get-go). I could postpone the soul quests a bit you see.

It dawned on me that I will likely play with my friend who really likes to do dungeons and I would be playing a more defensive warrior in our first dungeon.

What would you do?
    Last edited by Aurelie; 01-16-2011 at 06:10 PM.

I would go dps as my fist build as the early mobs are very easy to defeat and after you do the quest for the other classes then make your tank build use dps when doin easy stuff and go tank mode when needed. By dps i mean paragon or champ soul as primary.
    Last edited by Karlbjorn; 01-16-2011 at 06:12 PM.

If the method of unlocking souls stays as easy as it currently is I plan to start as an optimal leveling spec. If it's a real process to get the souls I'll be playin as a gimpy melee rogue from lvl 1. Boohoo.

Rift Chaser

I'll probably play necro/lock/chloro for solo leveling because of how hard it is to die against a ton of monsters. Grinding quests was incredibly easy and fast after I got phytosenesis for radiant spores. Stormcaller for grouping/dungeons unless the group wants me to heal.

Come release day, I'll have a totally different build than I have on beta.
    I love my guild, but noone has less of live then me which means I'll reach cap long before anyone even comes close to 30. In most games I'm usually within the top 10 to reach lvl cap in that server and I'm guessing here will be no different. Which means I'll spec for solo play all the way to 50. Once I'm 50, then I'll start enjoying the game and going to all the dungeons, pvp, etc.

Rift Chaser

I wonder if they are going to add a mentor system that allows us to play with lower level people.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ---AlterEgo--- View Post
    Come release day, I'll have a totally different build than I have on beta.
    I love my guild, but noone has less of live then me which means I'll reach cap long before anyone even comes close to 30. In most games I'm usually within the top 10 to reach lvl cap in that server and I'm guessing here will be no different. Which means I'll spec for solo play all the way to 50. Once I'm 50, then I'll start enjoying the game and going to all the dungeons, pvp, etc.

ive never understood the huge rush to cap level. Why rush it? This game is beautiful. Take your time and explore it, look around and do the side quests.

Now i DO understand it could be boring if u play WAY more then the rest of your guildies... so that you are always ahead of them... the key to beating this is to have multiple toons.. one that you keep as your group play toon that you keep the same level as the rest of your guildies, and the other as a solo toon that you level on the side and explore with.

The people that dont start enjoying the game till level 50 are typically (saying typically here, not 100% of the time) but they are the ones that bail really fast and end up complaining about the game to everyone... those who let themselves enjoy the game from the start typically are the ones who fall in love with the lore (or the pvp or whatever draws them) and will continue playing the game alot longer.

That being said after I get a toon or two to max level you can be absolutely sure I'll be pl'ing as much as possible on any other toon i make lol

Figured the Shaman/Druid would plow through the levels.
    There wasn't anything i couldn't do easily as the Bard/Ranger/Sab
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

I'll roll leveling builds and then work on aquiring the instance/endgame roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    So my initial idea was to make a warrior I could level easily with, just to get to level 20 something, which is why I was thinking a Reaver / Beastmaster, then get the defensive souls.

Now I'm thinking of rolling a defensive spec from level 1 because I won't have to get 3 more defensive souls so early in the game (because I could pick them from the get-go). I could postpone the soul quests a bit you see.

It dawned on me that I will likely play with my friend who really likes to do dungeons and I would be playing a more defensive warrior in our first dungeon.

What would you do?
    Depends if the devs keep the same method of acquiring additional souls beyond the initial 3 as they have now in the beta. Currently, around level 13-15, you get easy quests you can solo to get them. Since the first dungeon is level 19, there's really no reason to not go with a more efficient leveling spec, then respec or buy an additional role slot when you want to do dungeons as a tank.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Warrender View Post
    Depends if the devs keep the same method of acquiring additional souls beyond the initial 3 as they have now in the beta. Currently, around level 13-15, you get easy quests you can solo to get them. Since the first dungeon is level 19, there's really no reason to not go with a more efficient leveling spec, then respec or buy an additional role slot when you want to do dungeons as a tank.
    I leveled two characters in the last beta to mid-teens. Both warriors. One a dps spec the other a tanking spec. The tanking spec wasn't noticeably slower than the dps and lived longer and could pull bigger groups.

I plan on leveling in my tanking spec.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Drathek View Post
    ive never understood the huge rush to cap level. Why rush it? This game is beautiful. Take your time and explore it, look around and do the side quests.
    Sort of off topic, but one big reason to level as hard as possible at launch is PVP. Being on the crest of the server population as it expands into new zones, particularly if there are contested zones, means you have less chance to get facerolled by swarms of higher-level, opposing factions.

My experiences with Stranglethorn something or other zone in WoW were night and day with my first character and my alt. One was a lot of fun (everyone was about the same level, fighting for zone control was relatively balanced and exciting.) The other was a nightmare (all quest areas camped by groups 10 levels higher than us, impossible to get anything done without heavy support from higher level guildmates, general frustration overall.)

Even in PVE, being in the zones with the smaller percentage of people on the highest curve of the level range means less competition for quest mobs/items. It also means gaining access to higher end items/money that you can use to twink alts. With your better understanding of the game/world and with your superior gear, you'll be better equipped to go back and "smell the roses," as it were, with your alt after you powerleveled to cap with your main.

Plus, I tend to get a little competitive with the friends I play with, so keeping on the higher end of the leveling curve goes with the territory.

I found that leveling as a Bard gave me no downtime. My second role was Nightblade so I would play that for a few quests to break the monotony. I wasn't spec'd for damage though. Just pure buff/healing.

+ Reply to Thread