+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stormancer Build

Rift Chaser

Default Stormancer Build

I've been having problems with this build. I either lose out on Tempest and the elementalist pet or I lose out on in-combat mana regen outside of the Recharge ability(50 charge for 10% mana). Other than that it focuses mainly on very high crit rates/damage and self healing through Radiant spores/Bloom.

Build: http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...18,5_&lang=eng

Prophet of Telara

What is it you're going to want to do with this Role? PvP? Levelling? Raids? Rifts/Invasions?

Are you fixed on using SC/Ele/Chloro? Which Soul is an absolute must?

X

Rift Chaser

This role is meant for all of the above, all the souls are a "must". Dropping elementalist will get rid of the 50% extra crit damage and pet. Stormcaller is for damage and snaring. Chloro is for healing, bloom+radiant spores. It's basically a high dps nuker with healing capabilities and snares.

Shadowlander

I can say right now in pvp that build is gonna struggle. You have basically no ways out of stuns, silences, etc.. This is one of my biggest complaints about mages we have so very few options out of crowd control compared to the other classes. The archmage pvp soul does offer one option, but it sucks that we have to be forced into that to get a break free whereas the other classes have several souls with ways out of crowd controls.

Prophet of Telara

Soo... first off, I'd just offer a reminder that you'll have 4 different roles on each character. That's four different builds on each character, with different soul combinations in each build. So trying to make a single role for PvE, PvP, Rifts, Invasions and Raids isn't necessary. If you build a role for all-out raiding, it's almost certain to be compromised in PvP and solo levelling....

So most will have 4 different roles on each character designed specifically for 4 different types of play: such as 1 for Levelling, 1 for Rifts/Invasions, 1 for PvP and 1 for Raiding. They then just switch to the one they want... going raiding? Switch to Chloro/Archon heal/support role. Going soloing? Switch to Ele/Stormcaller role. Going PvPing? Switch to Archmage/Pyro role etc.

One of the joys of the Rift system, is that you don't have to make compromises. That said, if you already have different plans for your other 3 Role slots or you just want to have one Role that could add a little something in all situations... then that's cool too - but you will really struggle to try to balance off your points choices against so many different goals.

That's the problem with this build. There are too many goals that you're trying to fulfill. I could say that you're almost certain to struggle with any kind of sustained healing (e.g. Rifts/Invasions/Raids) because of mana and charge issues... but you can't improve your recharge without losing stuff that you'll need for other goals.

There are other soul choices you could make for a role, that would make it more of a generalist. Necro/Warlock/Archon has a better generalist flavour. Pets, decent DPS, spot healing, some AoE, toe to toe and kiting playstyles that work etc...

But if you're fixed on these three souls in this role - and you're trying to make the role a generalist that can cover levelling, soloing, rifts/invasions, raiding and PvP... then you're just always going to struggle with too many compromises and having to make decisions that will hurt one goal or another.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-19-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Given that what i posted here was slightly mean, i deleted it and instead did a revision of your build.

http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...18,5_&lang=eng

Let's face it, the chloro wont get used in pve, but bloom is AMAZING in pvp. point taken and given. Instead, grabbed Ice Barrier from Ele, can almost take the place of a pet for solo pve stull (not including rifting) and will take the place of some of the healing you require.

Put points into Ride the Wind, Static Barrier, Wind Chill and Permafrost. All awesome solo pve and pvp talents. Nabbed Shell Shock and imp. electrocute for that sweet knockback, damage and root effect...i wish every soul could do that, hah.
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    -Sar'than, Oathbinder of the Blooded Stone

Personaly I would drop Chloromancer from a Stormcaller build.

Try this http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...16,5_&lang=eng
    Last edited by Lazorus; 01-19-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Well yeah, adding warlock to anything is tempting, you can sink upwards of 15 points in it and nab talents that are 100% compatible to any soul, grab a heal, 2 forms of CC and a mana regen...but if you want something not EVERYONE is going to use...why not add chloro to a stormcaller! i think you just need to be more careful about where you sink the points!
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Rift Chaser

My jaw dropped when you said chloro wont get used in PvE.

Did any of you even look at the chloromancer abilities or use them in the beta? Raised in nature: 21% of your intelligence is added to endurance. Phytosenesis gives Radiant Spores a 30% chance to return 100% of the damage you do in health. Why would you even consider dropping that. I was doing 500 damage crits in beta4 without tempest every few seconds using Cloudburst/Ice Shear. With tempest I imagine i'd be doing closer to 750. This build also gets 29%(9% more than static flux) more spell damage from Entropic Veil due to Empowered Veil. Not to mention the backup heals through Bloom/Flourish, the heal buff Synthesis, in-combat resurrect, Natural Conversion, and 10% all damage reduced from Elemental Link.

The only thing it really lacks is in-combat mana regen and stun removal.

This build seems to fix the in-combat mana regen with Sacrifice Life: Mana. The -10% reduced damage is replaced by Storm Guard, Living shell, and Static Barrier. Call of spring is also 5/5. I guess I'd have to choose between damage and defense.
    http://rift-planner.com/?archetype=3...18,5_&lang=eng
    Last edited by airflow; 01-19-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Empowered Veil increases it's damage bonus TO 19%, not BY 19%. And radiant spores already has a 15% chance to do return 100% of damage done as health, it's probably only as good as the 1 point invested in Ice Shield/ 21% of int to endurance may be nice, but with a few of those snare effects from stormcaller you wont even need it.

And i did agree that Bloom is useful. You just wont see much use in pve because everone will keep telling you to dpsmoar. It may be a sad point, but as a primary stormcaller/elementalist, they'll be expecting it.
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Rift Chaser

I swear I read 29% in beta4. I guess I'm mistaken on that. Though the rest still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post
    This build seems to fix the in-combat mana regen with Sacrifice Life: Mana.
    OK, so, I looked over this build, and I just don't get it.

What are you to a group? Healer? DPS? Support?

You can't be a healer with that setup, because put simply you can't heal well enough. If you want to be a healer at level 50 as a mage, you will need, Natural Splendor, Natural Fusion and Essence Surge. Without these, you are unable to function in a group as the main healer. Since this game is designed around one healer per group (the reason for five man groups), if you are unable to be the healer it means you are either the tank (not as a mage) the DPS or the support.

The build you have does not provide enough worthwhile support to be an actual support build. The healer shouldn't need additional heals, but if they did, a well timed Bloom should be all. You have virtually no support to increase your groups DPS, so really, you are not a support class... that means you are DPS.

As a DPS character in a group, with this build, do you think you will do a good job?

What you are, like it or not, is the guy in the corner with the character that can do a little bit of everything, but nothing well enough to fill a particular role in a group. The spec you have here is fine for soloing - overly challenging, but fine - but means you offer nothing of actual tangible value to a group. Build this spec by all means, but if you plan on doing anything other than soloing, consider having both a straight DPS and a straight heal spec lined up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    OK, so, I looked over this build, and I just don't get it.

What are you to a group? Healer? DPS? Support?

You can't be a healer with that setup, because put simply you can't heal well enough. If you want to be a healer at level 50 as a mage, you will need, Natural Splendor, Natural Fusion and Essence Surge. Without these, you are unable to function in a group as the main healer. Since this game is designed around one healer per group (the reason for five man groups), if you are unable to be the healer it means you are either the tank (not as a mage) the DPS or the support.

The build you have does not provide enough worthwhile support to be an actual support build. The healer shouldn't need additional heals, but if they did, a well timed Bloom should be all. You have virtually no support to increase your groups DPS, so really, you are not a support class... that means you are DPS.

As a DPS character in a group, with this build, do you think you will do a good job?

What you are, like it or not, is the guy in the corner with the character that can do a little bit of everything, but nothing well enough to fill a particular role in a group. The spec you have here is fine for soloing - overly challenging, but fine - but means you offer nothing of actual tangible value to a group. Build this spec by all means, but if you plan on doing anything other than soloing, consider having both a straight DPS and a straight heal spec lined up.
    This build is mostly for heavy dps(stormcaller does very good damage just by itself) and backup healing. Saying this brings nothing to a group means you underestimate radiant spores as well, which is kind of sad. Radiant spores is one of the most powerful things you could bring a group. Saying all groups should be built around having one healer is just.. dumb. Spreading roles around group members is much more viable. What if your cleric dies or gets agro from healing too much? Bosses do a lot of AOE attacks in this game. Having a backup healer will keep survivability up when the cleric is waiting on cooldowns. Natural Splendor is also on a 2 minute cooldown. It is not going to turn you into main healer.
    Last edited by airflow; 01-19-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Prophet of Telara

And i did agree that Bloom is useful. You just wont see much use in pve because everone will keep telling you to dpsmoar. It may be a sad point, but as a primary stormcaller/elementalist, they'll be expecting it.
    It depends a bit on how you sell yourself I guess... but most groups won't be that picky if you're doing decent dps and spot-healing, allowing the cleric to focus on the tank. If you're going into planned raids, then you'll probably have less to offer - but for PvE and certainly for most rifts/invasions, nobody's really going to notice.

That said, there are better soul choices for a Mage with generalist extras, I think. This is an odd mix with that as a goal. Noaani has a point too though... if you can't really decide on a goal for your own build, then it's going to be difficult for others to understand what you're there to do too...

Don't get me wrong in all of this. I'm a great fan in all games of somebody going the unusual route and choosing weird combos. But it seems to me that starting out with the goal of being all things in all content types is just misdirected, when the game is designed so that you can have that flexibility in your character through the role system.

There are really no solutions to your quandary about which points to put where. I think that if you're going to go this route, then you just have to accept that.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-19-2011 at 06:50 AM.

It's true, backup heals ARE a good thing to have, but theorycrafting at this point puts even 51 point chloros as no better than backup heals for endgame content. i know, i know, it's all just theorising, but the fact remains that the healing throughput of a 51 point chloro is still secondary to that of the primary 3 cleric healer souls, just just a dabble in chloro isn't going to do a whole bunch, CERTAINLY not keep anyone up in a raid environment.

I'm not trying to crash your party, we're just talking plain old numbers here. I totally think your build is unique and applaud your imagination, i just think you need to add a little realism to the scenarios in which the build would best perform and how. Those points in chloro are probably going to see more use on the pvp field and soloing than in a group environment.

Also, you can't possibly tell me that a spec that goes half/half backup-survival and DPS can stay competitive with those mages that choose to fill their DPS role to it's fullest, again, not an insult, it's just fact.

A heal or 2, well placed, is an awesome thing, and for you to whip one out as a stormcaller, sheer brilliance. Do remember too that Lifegiving Veil is only 5% of your damage as healing to teamates, from experience i realised its not enough to warrant the spell at all unless you plan to be a chloro, it's like the healing from vampiric embrace from a spriest in wow, no-one REALLY noticed it...So maybe you prune chloro a bit, get a little more utility from other places, but stay essentially a hybrid i am trying to be constructive here!
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-19-2011 at 06:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast