+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Melee Healer

Rift Disciple

Default Melee Healer

How effective do people think melee healers will be? I'm guessing Inquisitor will be the starter soul, then add on other souls to round the character out with (I'm guessing here) better heals and buffs.
    I've been playing a melee Warden in EQ2 for sometime now and I played a melee Mystic before that - I kind of like melee healers ;)

I don't expect them to be DPS a powerhouse, but I just really hate standing around like a caster throwing out heals and debuffs.

I guess you could add some of the other healer souls to give the Inqus a few healing spells, but apparently alone he doesnt heal at all and is an offensive cleric soul with debuffs i believe it has been said.

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

I play a Chanter in Aion atm, which in essence is a staff wielding melee healer that depends a lot on reactive parry moves.

I love it. I wish they had put a little more attention on them because I felt they needed some things fixed but any time you have a buffing class that can buff a whole group, it makes it hard to balance a little.

I was already looking into this myself. Seeing if I could maybe recreate something similar in this game. A very aggressive style melee healer. I think the Clerics are getting the Monk class to also add into the list.

Whatever I choose, I was already loving the Sentinel's spell listings to suppliment with the melee soul (I think was by 18 points for Quietus).. But we'll have to see I'm sure I'll be changing lots of things around as I play. (But that was also because I was considering a PvP spec. I'm way more into this game for the pvp is could generate because of the varied styles of classes. I'm excited.)

I also like the idea of having melee attacks or debuffs actually returning heals to me or my party. Sort of a variant of healing through damage rather than direct healing.
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 08-28-2010 at 06:12 AM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Quote Originally Posted by Tolil View Post
    How effective do people think melee healers will be? I'm guessing Inquisitor will be the starter soul, then add on other souls to round the character out with (I'm guessing here) better heals and buffs.
    I've been playing a melee Warden in EQ2 for sometime now and I played a melee Mystic before that - I kind of like melee healers ;)

I don't expect them to be DPS a powerhouse, but I just really hate standing around like a caster throwing out heals and debuffs.
    I don't think it's going to be the same as EQ2 Mystic, we don't really have anything that requires melee to heal with, aside from Tribal Rage AA addition and that was new to SF. They will probably have something closer to part of your damage will return as healing to you or the group, making it kinda like Spirit Tap... only instead of adding hp/mp by % of group dps it'll be more like your dmg = healing the group, like what are those procs called... you know the junk ones that heal the group on melee attack... will probably be worth having in this game.

Forum tested, Hevenly approved.

Chanters in AION certainly fit this role. I played one and it was pseudo-viable. I definitely think it could be done correctly if it's tweaked and tuned correctly. I would be really excited about a "melee healer" type because it would definitely be a new sub-class type of healer and ensure that healers don't feel like they're "the same." I doubt that would happen in Rift, but certainly in the last year or so of WoW healers all just....felt the same. I really hope that melee healing is viable in Rift!
    Guild Leader of Novus Chalybs, Defiant Hardcore PvE guild: www.novuschalybs.com

The best melee healer for me was WAR's Disciple of Khaine.

With the correct spell rotation and gear, picking your targets wisely - you could be healing AND dpsing, and be quite, quite successful. Granted, the gap between RR40 and RR54 was huge, but then again ... manageable.

That's what I do understand if I hear the term "Melee Healer": not a healer that can also do some damage, but a healer standing in the middle of the fray, healing himself and others while at the same time damaging the opponents.

Yea DoKs from WAR are probably my favorite MMO class to date. I played a chanter in AION (for about 20 levels then got bored with that game).

I'll probably be looking to make something similar in this game as well.. melee dps, off heals and debuffs/buffs. This seems possible with the way you can mix and match souls. Depending on how viable that turns out it'll be fun, then i'll probably scrap the idea once im max level and go pure heals :P

In AoC (Age of Conan) I found the most impressive class to be the Bear Shaman. They would twist heals, regens, and great melee combos together to make for a fierce healer that was capable of off-tanking from time to time. My girlfriend played one for 60 levels while I used a Conq - great couple to quest with. I usually play pure healers but thanks to being spoiled by AoC I'd love to see some fierce melee combos coming from my healer and not just some lazy half-assed cloth wearer who has to pray that they don't get heal aggro.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Slack View Post
    Yea DoKs from WAR are probably my favorite MMO class to date. I played a chanter in AION (for about 20 levels then got bored with that game).

I'll probably be looking to make something similar in this game as well.. melee dps, off heals and debuffs/buffs. This seems possible with the way you can mix and match souls. Depending on how viable that turns out it'll be fun, then i'll probably scrap the idea once im max level and go pure heals :P
    I always found the DoK very hard to play until you started getting your AE heals, especially in pvp. Ideally I'll be looking for soul combos that give me lots of group and AoE heals + some fast casting buffs and debuffs that can be cast between melee attacks. I'm not a fan of trying to melee and single target heal at all.

A melee healer could work by having a AOE hot powered by damage. Throw in some melee debuffs and maybe a chargeable system for direct heals and the like and you'd have something.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

I actually never played a healer.. Except for a little greenskin shaman in WAR, but only for 10 lvls.

I think the Inquisitor is going to be ranged magic, and not melee.
    But I'm very excited about the Inquisitor, it seems that along with a couple of buffs and lots of debuffs, the Inquisitor have some CC too, in snares, disorientate, and a fear.. So it's a kinda a mix of the stereotype classes you see in other games.

So, mix that with another soul tree of your liking and you have a pretty fun class I think.

And also, I like the idea of being some crazy religious badass, not stopping at anything to achieve whatever his goals are.

The Chanter in Aion was my first experience as a melee-type healer (with buffs) and I greatly enjoyed it. (Got him to 50, woot!) Having something like that here would definitely make me want to try it out. If I can do 2h melee, I'll be automatically sold, though I'm not sure how that is possible based on the souls available for the cleric class. I'm sure there might be a option for one once we know the rest of cleric souls. For now, the bard is looking more towards my style since I enjoy playing support classes with buffs.
    Last edited by Rajster; 08-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.

I enjoy playing melee healers alot. Disciple in WAR and Chanter in Aion were two of my favorites.

Friar in DAoC was my favorite! Not so much of a pure healer, but the first MMO class I can think of to be close.
    Last edited by Crowl; 08-30-2010 at 05:52 AM.
    Crowl - Bahmi Justicar/Shaman/Purifier Tank
    Aramon Alshan 32 Riftstalker/34 Nightblade PVP setup
    Sunrest RP-PVP
    Foe's Watch

Shadowlander

+1 to Melee Healers. Warrior Priest from WAR was the most fun class I've ever played in over 10 years of MMO gaming.

I always hated the term "DPS Warrior Priest" when I was actually healing through melee. A slight distinction maybe, but has a huge effect on the perception others have of you. Managing target selection (offensive and defensive) along with your own survival while playing a Melee Healer is the real skill.

That said, from my understanding there is no implied or dual target system in Rift so Melee healing really won't have a place here.

-- Griff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast