+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So You Wanna Feel Useful... The Dominator Guide.

Default So You Wanna Feel Useful... The Dominator Guide.

So you want to be a dominator.

Good for you! Every good group will need one however every bad group will thwart you. The dominator is a VERY group dependant soul and requires constant communication and teamwork to reach its peak performance!

What does a dominator do in a party?.

Well simple, they make everything easier on everyone else! Weather you're turning adds on a bad pull into squirrels so your tank only has to deal with one elite banging on him or you're throwing silences on the other PvP teams healers your primary function is saving everyones hide via crowd control.

So now that you're hyped about what a dominator can do lets move on to your abilities themselves. Starting at level 0 you get YOUR MOST IMPORTANT SPELL IN THE WHOLE TREE Transmogrify. This spell Like the EQ1 Enchnaters Mesmerize or the Vanguard Psionicists Time Trick, turns your target into a squirrel rendering them completely harmless making tough pull easy, turning boss fights with 2 giants into 2 back to back single fights or rendering the other groups cleric unable to heal mua ha ha ha ha.... until that guy whose not paying attention in your party does a single point of damage to them then all hell breaks loose. Yes folks, the greatest weakness of the dominator is a group who don't know what you can do. Explain that when there is an add DO NOT DOT IT, DO NOT OFF TANK just ignore it and let the dominator squirrel away your problems.

Once you get used to using Transmogrify and your group gets used to not turning it into a waste of mana you can start going a little crazy with some neat tricks with it. Heres some situations where you may not think of using it.

2 Elite mobs are standing guard next to a door pulling one will inevitably pull the other. So what do you do to make sure everything goes as planned? Let your tank get ready with a taunt, Squirrel one guy and have the tank taunt the "add" as it runs at you, this way (unlike having the tank pull 2 mobs and having the squirrel at everyones feet) gives you the safety of not accidentally AoEing it and when your spell wears off a chance to root/knockback/snare or re-squirrel it before it even gets to swing!

Heres another: In a duel with ANYONE? Drop transmogrify, wait until the time left on the buff is the cast time of your hardest hitting spell, nuke him and if you have your talents in the right spot (Clinging form, Controlled opportunity, swift control) Not only will that nuke deal 50% more damage but your cooldown on transmogrify will be down and your cast speed increased for 50% so BLAMMO re-squirrel and repeat. If all is going as planned they shouldn't' get a chance to do ANYTHING and so long as your trans lands they get enough time for an instant cast spell once every 30 seconds.... <insert diabolical grin here>

Now lets move on to your next bread and butter spells: Arresting Presence and Priests Lambent. These are why people grab you for PvP groups and caster mob boss battles.
    Arresting presence is a long duration silence aura. At 100 charge its a 10 second (ish) silence. in Warfronts, give your team a heads up get a healer targeting you drop that and run right into their zerg-pile 90% of the time they get confused and can't figure out where the silence is and all their mages can't nuke and all their clerics can't heal (or in rift the opposite sometimes occurs). Then there's Priests Lambent. This spell KILLS healers. Here, let me show you: "Debuffs the enemy causing any healing or beneficial abilities they attempt to use to have a 60% chance of silence them for 3 seconds" and it ONLY HAS A 20 SECOND COOLDOWN AND LASTS 15 SECONDS! this spell is almost ALWAYS active so long as you remember to drop it. If you are about to try and focus fire down a healer this spell is mana from heaven, see a rogue jumping a cleric off to your side, stop what you're doing drop that on the cleric, see a cleric heal somone you're fighting? Stop what your doing.... you get the picture. this spell is great, be sure to take it, be sure to use it.

Dominators have a very hard time keeping their mana bar up, Transmogrify and Priests lambent cost a LOT of mana and to keep your charge up for arresting presence you need to spam Neural Prod (best charge builder out of any class btw, instant cast instant refresh 10 charge) which gets costly. Thankfully at 8 points in we get Mana Wrench sure its channeled but it gives a lot of mana back and deals a fair amount of damage and gets rid of a fair amount of mana from another mage, good but not great... until 15 points into the tree "IMPROVED MANA WRENCH!: Increases the damage of your mana wrench by 3% and the mana returned and drained per second by 10% per rank" What does this mean? Maxed ranks in it (3) You can drain about half of an enemies mana bar in the 6 second channel while doing massive damage to mages!

Oh oh oh! Know what else we get 15 points in? The same thing only better! Tansference! 'drains up to 50 charge and 141 mana, or 50 energy, from the enemy and deals death damage based on the amount drained. Reduces the enemies mana and energy regeration to 0 for 5 seconds. " Wait what was that last part? "REDUCES THEIR MANA REGEN TO ZERO FOR FIVE SECONDS!" Guess what we can do now? Drop mana wrench then this and pow we're back to full they're a hurting unit with 0 mana and 0 mana regen.. life doesn't get better then that!

Oh I forgot to mention the raid boss killer known as Accelerated decay that we get at 12 points in! This thing is instant cast 10 second cooldown lasts for 30 seconds. Everytime the target does anything their melee and spell casting speed goes down by 5% to a cap of 5 stacks, neat tid-bit the 30 sercond cooldown (at least at time of beta 4) refreshes with each stack... so each attack up to 5) Recast it at 5 stacks and it stays ramped up. One instant cast every 30 seconds and you're pretty much negating a quarter of an entire raid boss's damage. Useful no? Bet your guilds healers will love that! Not to mention the tank!

Starting to get a feel for what a dominator can do? How much utility they bring to the table? You havn't seen the half of it!

Void Shroud: 1.5 second cast 10 second cooldown Reduces all healing the target recieves by 30% for 10 seconds. Bam your kill target for your groups assist train suddenly has no hope of being healed through the damage!

Storm shackle: A great root that not only doesn't break on damage but gives them the choice of 10 seconds of no moving or 3 seconds of root and then a VERY painful AoE nuke/snare (or 3 aoes after talent points in microburst)

Overpowering Will: Recurring mez! Yeah it renders somone usless for 8 seconds or until they take damage but when they take damage and you're in 20 meters it RE CASTS on them every 2 seconds but consumes charge. Holy balls!

Deaths Edict: big nuke 3 second stun then REALLY painful slow for 10 seeconds.

and our 31 Point ability Chastise: This spell is really brutal. "Curses the enemy for 20 seconds inflicting a penalty on them each time they perform an action, placing a stacking debuff on them reducing their damage and healing for 6 seconds by 10% per stack max TEN STACKS (Yes thats 100% damage and healing reduction) this spell can only be used on players. Not quite a raid boss killer due to that last line but damn is it ever useful!

The list goes on.. and on... and on... SO MUCH UTILITY IT LEAKS OUT OF OUR VERY PORES! Instead of going through every single spell we get (and they're ALL useful) Lets move on to what OTHER soul you should use with dominator as lets face it, this is Rift and you get to pick 3 classes no guide would be complete without at least a "Hey look at these souls they're good too!" so without any further ado... THE LIST (sorted in order of.... whatever I feel like!)

<----- MOVED TO NEXT POST AS I HIT THE 10000 CHARACTER CAP ----->
    Last edited by Slaave; 01-15-2011 at 11:21 AM.

<----- CARRYING ON FROM ABOVE POST ----->

STORMCALLER:

Remember awhile ago I mentioned Dominators mana problems? Well if you're not fighting a caster they get BAD and they get there FAST. Thats where Stormcaller comes in, they do take a bit of points to get up but thats what our extra soul points are for . You will want to have 12 points set aside for stormcaller. Namly you want to snag Recharge and then the 2 points that make it better. This grants you even more utility by being able to pump mana into your entire group and you can do it reliably.

The stormcaller DOES bring other goodies to our tray though, We get a decent AoE for helping clear out trash pulls when squirreling a mob is just a time sink. We get an AOE SNARE that with 5 points in Arctic chill (on the way to recharge) Snares the targets in 7 meters of the target for 75% of their speed for 10 seconds. Thats a pretty brutal snare considering most snares are 50% this spell makes them look like they're crawling. And a second single target snare for the same 75% for 10 seconds.

ARCHON:

You ARE a utility powerhouse why not throw in the best buffs experience has to buy! at only 15 points into the tree you get access to a spell that drops the targets armor by a fair amount, an awesome raid wide Endurance buff, an awesome raid wide armor buff, Another snare (that speeds you up) and a charge draining ability that reduces the targets damage by 10%. Sound familiar?:

and then there is...

THE ELEMENTALIST:

This gives you access to a fairly decent increase in DPS in the form of Lightning stirke, a pet so you can off tank a second mob while waiting on the CD from your mez (your pet will stop fighting a mez'd target unlike a player so its PERFECT) and at 6 points in a great Charge-> Mana converter for inbetween fights. 75% of a bar of charge will usually give you full mana. For a PvP build going 15 points up to max out Tempest (+50% crit damage) and Charged (+10% crit chance on Lightning strike) and Biting cold (5% spell crit boost) You get a really nice set up for Spiking a target.

Remember above when I mentioned the 1v1 Trick with mez and a hard hitting nuke, Lightning strike fits this perfectly, in a duel its easy with a Dom/Ele/SC build to Mez the target then line up a Lighning bolt at +50% damage from Controlled Opportunity (form dom) then +25% chance to crit (5 from Biting cold 10 from charged, 10 from High voltage) +50% crit DAMAGE and spike somone for about 500 or so then instant mez them again. It does have a 10 second cooldown but in a duel your mez will keep em down for 15 seconds which is just long enough to Rinse/Repeat.

Well thats my $0.02 and my very first guide. I know its not much but... well I didn't charge you anything for it so enjoy it or go away.
    Last edited by Slaave; 01-15-2011 at 11:23 AM.

also want to add for 5 points in warlock you get a lot more charge to use, and since half of your spells do death dmg and other half are air 5 in necro raises your death dmg and gives you a dps pet.

kwl stuff I know I've been trying to analyze the class a lot too but I'll save off some of my thoughts til later. I was hoping you can help me with something though- you said in the post that overpowering will acts like a mezz from the confuse effect. I haven't really gotten to experiment with confuse affects yet so I was wondering if you could explain how the mechanic works then? I heard somewhere else that it makes the enemy have a random chance of attacking other mobs/allies... Anyways so do players mobs that get with it still get to retain some degree of control over their character, or does it act like a true mezz and disable them? How often do they still attack you if at all while confused, and if there are no allies around do they immediately attack you? If it does act like a true mezz than Disorient i think is looking very promising for an opening move (and mass exhaustion against multiple enemies) because it is a combined higher dmg/long lasting confuse in the same cast time as transmorgify (speaking of which in pvp do players still retain movement control if they are a squirrel?), assuming there isn't something stupid like the damage hitting after the confuse and breaking it.

Also is it only damage dealing spells that break transmorgify and confuse in pvp? Or do certain debuffs and other crowd controls also help break it? I realize the spell description says just damage, but I've had this before in games where it actually extends into certain areas is why I ask ( and especially in pvp). I think it would be a good thing if confuse and polymorph broke each other for example... or else you could just chain disorient and transmorgify indefinitely if they don't have control breaks.

Edit: I can't wait to see how split personality works, that move looks SOO fun, especially if players have a hard time telling the difference between you and the shades! mindgames!
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Rift Disciple

Nice guide! Gives me something to think about. I'm all about being "that guy who did something awesome".

Quote Originally Posted by Slaave View Post
    <----- CARRYING ON FROM ABOVE POST ----->

STORMCALLER:

Remember awhile ago I mentioned Dominators mana problems? Well if you're not fighting a caster they get BAD and they get there FAST. Thats where Stormcaller comes in, they do take a bit of points to get up but thats what our extra soul points are for . You will want to have 12 points set aside for stormcaller. Namly you want to snag Recharge and then the 2 points that make it better. This grants you even more utility by being able to pump mana into your entire group and you can do it reliably.

The stormcaller DOES bring other goodies to our tray though, We get a decent AoE for helping clear out trash pulls when squirreling a mob is just a time sink. We get an AOE SNARE that with 5 points in Arctic chill (on the way to recharge) Snares the targets in 7 meters of the target for 75% of their speed for 10 seconds. Thats a pretty brutal snare considering most snares are 50% this spell makes them look like they're crawling. And a second single target snare for the same 75% for 10 seconds.

ARCHON:

You ARE a utility powerhouse why not throw in the best buffs experience has to buy! at only 15 points into the tree you get access to a spell that drops the targets armor by a fair amount, an awesome raid wide Endurance buff, an awesome raid wide armor buff, Another snare (that speeds you up) and a charge draining ability that reduces the targets damage by 10%. Sound familiar?:

and then there is...

THE ELEMENTALIST:

This gives you access to a fairly decent increase in DPS in the form of Lightning stirke, a pet so you can off tank a second mob while waiting on the CD from your mez (your pet will stop fighting a mez'd target unlike a player so its PERFECT) and at 6 points in a great Charge-> Mana converter for inbetween fights. 75% of a bar of charge will usually give you full mana. For a PvP build going 15 points up to max out Tempest (+50% crit damage) and Charged (+10% crit chance on Lightning strike) and Biting cold (5% spell crit boost) You get a really nice set up for Spiking a target.

Remember above when I mentioned the 1v1 Trick with mez and a hard hitting nuke, Lightning strike fits this perfectly, in a duel its easy with a Dom/Ele/SC build to Mez the target then line up a Lighning bolt at +50% damage from Controlled Opportunity (form dom) then +25% chance to crit (5 from Biting cold 10 from charged, 10 from High voltage) +50% crit DAMAGE and spike somone for about 500 or so then instant mez them again. It does have a 10 second cooldown but in a duel your mez will keep em down for 15 seconds which is just long enough to Rinse/Repeat.

Well thats my $0.02 and my very first guide. I know its not much but... well I didn't charge you anything for it so enjoy it or go away.
    Great great guide, well thought out view of one of the most underestimated or least talked about soul callings. However, there is one thing I was looking at that I think might make a great addition to the Dom soul. Did you consider Pyro? Pyro offers superb nukability, with 14 points in you get Cinder Burst. Yes it's a 6 second cast. However, if you cap out ignition then add in the 50% cast time reduction you get something around a 2.9 second cast on Cinder burst with a 50% addition in dmg, and 15% added crit chance. This sounds like it might offer more nuke than the Elementalist build, and in PvP the Elementalist mana gainer wouldn't help too much anyways, because the second you get out of combat you could just drink anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Izkimar View Post
    Great great guide, well thought out view of one of the most underestimated or least talked about soul callings. However, there is one thing I was looking at that I think might make a great addition to the Dom soul. Did you consider Pyro? Pyro offers superb nukability, with 14 points in you get Cinder Burst. Yes it's a 6 second cast. However, if you cap out ignition then add in the 50% cast time reduction you get something around a 2.9 second cast on Cinder burst with a 50% addition in dmg, and 15% added crit chance. This sounds like it might offer more nuke than the Elementalist build, and in PvP the Elementalist mana gainer wouldn't help too much anyways, because the second you get out of combat you could just drink anyways.
    Cinderburst + Mez could be a neat spike combo I hadn't actually thought of that however With Ele you gain a pet to off tank with who knows not to break your mez's, They both grant roots, pyro spells are higher in DPS but Ele has tempest for +50% crit damage which really adds up with spamming Nerual prod and Thunder blast... Guess its kind of a preference thing.

Other thing to consider is if you DO go for SC for your second soul suddenly elementalist gets a huge boost to be your third soul with the air damage increase from SC where if you got Archon for second soul Pyro would make a good third due to fire damage increase..... Hmm..

Cinderburst + Mez could be a neat spike combo I hadn't actually thought of that however With Ele you gain a pet to off tank with who knows not to break your mez's, They both grant roots, pyro spells are higher in DPS but Ele has tempest for +50% crit damage which really adds up with spamming Nerual prod and Thunder blast... Guess its kind of a preference thing.

Other thing to consider is if you DO go for SC for your second soul suddenly elementalist gets a huge boost to be your third soul with the air damage increase from SC where if you got Archon for second soul Pyro would make a good third due to fire damage increase..... Hmm..
    Yeah lol they are definitely both some things to look into . Although you get the 50% crit addition with Ele, I think Cinderburst might still outweigh it but that is just speculation. The way I look at it is you can get off a Cinder Burst, A Fire Ball, then a Transmorgify all within the 5 seconds of 50% reduced cast time. That's some pretty big dmg. Plus my situation is more leaning towards PvP , because that is what I'm wanting this build to be concerned with lol. Plus if you do add in Archon you do get the additional 5% fire dmg with is a nice added bonus. Remember this is more out of a Trans/Nuke perspective. For me at least.

Very thorough, great guide. I was thinking of going Dominator/Stormcaller with the Stormcaller focusing mainly on air damage.

Nice job.
    Last edited by Aryt; 01-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post

Also is it only damage dealing spells that break transmorgify and confuse in pvp? Or do certain debuffs and other crowd controls also help break it? I realize the spell description says just damage, but I've had this before in games where it actually extends into certain areas is why I ask ( and especially in pvp). I think it would be a good thing if confuse and polymorph broke each other for example... or else you could just chain disorient and transmorgify indefinitely if they don't have control breaks.
    Only damage breaks the effect, which is why it's so lovely for archons, you can whack all 6 debuffs on a mob without knocking it off >: D

PS: Amazing guide, i actually feel like theorycrafting some 44 point Dom PvE specs (51 points is useless, the final root ability and top tier abilities only work on players)
    Last edited by RadioD; 01-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioD View Post
    Only damage breaks the effect, which is why it's so lovely for archons, you can whack all 6 debuffs on a mob without knocking it off >: D

PS: Amazing guide, i actually feel like theorycrafting some 51 point PvE dom specs now! well done
    Glad everyone liked my guide. Was my first time writing one but I've played many similar classes to Dom so i had a bit of background with that. Enchanter from EQ1, Psionicist from Vanguard, Coercer from EQ2.... It's just how I role ;) (its a pun, get used to it)

Thats very helpful post should be stickied.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Quote Originally Posted by Onarye View Post
    Thats very helpful post should be stickied.
    Stickied? Wowza thanks I guess haha!

@RadioD- thank you that is going to be very op lol, especially when dominator is lacking in damage over times, so they can easily still stick in mezz like effects even after they are building damage.

Glad everyone liked my guide. Was my first time writing one but I've played many similar classes to Dom so i had a bit of background with that. Enchanter from EQ1, Psionicist from Vanguard, Coercer from EQ2.... It's just how I role ;) (its a pun, get used to it)
    I played illy in eq2 too, I just love crowd control concept in games. Its so fun to work around gaining advantages and achieving gameplay benefits by working around tricks, and control spells instead of direct dmg and healing.

As for pvp I was thinking it might be a viable idea to break the mezz with mental shock and then use the 5 second stun period to set up another damage spell (storm shackle imo since they will immediately try to move out of the stun, and you can have the storm shackle root period hid during the stun period so they don't have that indication its on them). After that since by then you will have charges built up, probably unleash arresting presence to further disable them before(?) they are able to do anything followed by more dps while they are actively silenced.

edit: also still curious about the confuse mechanics thing I asked earlier :/
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-15-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    @RadioD- thank you that is going to be very op lol, especially when dominator is lacking in damage over times, so they can easily still stick in mezz like effects even after they are building damage.

I played illy in eq2 too, I just love crowd control concept in games. Its so fun to work around gaining advantages and achieving gameplay benefits by working around tricks, and control spells instead of direct dmg and healing.

As for pvp I was thinking it might be a viable idea to break the mezz with mental shock and then use the 5 second stun period to set up another damage spell (storm shackle imo since they will immediately try to move out of the stun, and you can have the storm shackle root period hid during the stun period so they don't have that indication its one them). After that since by then you will have charges built up, probably unleash arresting presence to further disable them before(?) they are able to do anything.

edit: also still curious about the confuse mechanics thing I asked earlier :/
    I wouldn't do this unless you use it as one of your last spells being castes at the end of the mez. Or else it sort of defeats the purppose of the mez.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast